Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Soap Opera stereo-types and such

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soap Opera stereo-types and such

Okay let me start by saying im by no means fans of Soaps, the wife watches them and sometimes if im home early, i will unfortunatly catch a couple minutes, and ive so far noticed a couple things that seem to be the standard operation within these soaps.

1, No one on the show works, everyone is always aroud to hob-nob anywhere anytime

2, every show has a friend that works at the hospital. (could be the only time you actually witness someone working on the show

3, every pregnancy lasts 6-8 weeks, while getting ready for an event later that night in "show" time takes 3-4 days. somethin there isnt reight

4, the dead guy/girl always comes back. (unless the actor of course dies)

5, someones almost always either eavesdroppnig on a "major" conversation goin on, or everyone walks in on a conversation taking place (does no one knock in these things?)

lastly, the wife is very much not in favor of the numerous "Oh my god" comments made by non-viewers during the previews for the following days episode.

this is what i have gathered in the very little amount i have every seen, im sure im missing quite a bit. but what the hell, thats why its posted here
Old 02-04-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something always goes wrong at the "Super Couple's Wedding. Nothing ever goes smoothly.
Old 02-04-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watch Passions. Every cliche in soaps is completely exploited on this show to the 10th degree. Passions is the Spinal Tap of soap operas. And just as funny.
Old 02-04-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by superman69
Okay let me start by saying im by no means fans of Soaps, the wife watches them and sometimes if im home early, i will unfortunatly catch a couple minutes, and ive so far noticed a couple things that seem to be the standard operation within these soaps.

1, No one on the show works, everyone is always aroud to hob-nob anywhere anytime

2, every show has a friend that works at the hospital. (could be the only time you actually witness someone working on the show

3, every pregnancy lasts 6-8 weeks, while getting ready for an event later that night in "show" time takes 3-4 days. somethin there isnt reight

4, the dead guy/girl always comes back. (unless the actor of course dies)

5, someones almost always either eavesdroppnig on a "major" conversation goin on, or everyone walks in on a conversation taking place (does no one knock in these things?)

lastly, the wife is very much not in favor of the numerous "Oh my god" comments made by non-viewers during the previews for the following days episode.

this is what i have gathered in the very little amount i have every seen, im sure im missing quite a bit. but what the hell, thats why its posted here
Sounds like you have summed things up in the world of soaps. I wish I wasn't addicted to General Hospital but I have watched it my entire life. As silly as they sometimes get, the writers know how to keep us coming back for more.
Old 02-04-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Obviously, Sonny...How's Carly and the kids doing? Is Michael in any danger for the billionth time?
Old 02-04-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, babies will be stolen and fought over.
Old 02-04-06, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by sdcrym
Also, babies will be stolen and fought over.
And those babies will turn into cute 6 year old kids in six months (and turn into a hot troubled teens in love six months after that).
Old 02-04-06, 10:18 PM

also somehow or someway there is always a big slap or knockout punch each week. you would think with people this violent no on would wanna hang out with them. (one thing i forgot in my original summary)

isnt someone constantly in the hospital too? i mean c'mon, they alway beat someone up and visit the IC unit. get new friends
Old 02-04-06, 10:24 PM

You best not be mocking my "program" General Hospital.
Old 02-04-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe I have to add this:

Women can only be impregnated under unusual circumstances. Common examples include the drugged or drunken hookup with villain, the one night of passion with the man's brother or best friend, the replacement of the husband with an evil lookalike, and the normal looking pregnancy a widow by new man followed immediately by revelation that the woman's old man is alive.
Old 02-05-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Women only want men who are currently unavailable.

Any new young female that joins the show will be the child some male never knew he had.
Old 02-05-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amnesia as a plot device. Real amnesia doesn't happen as dramatically or with as much frequency.
Old 02-05-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every execution scheduled will involve somebody learning that the convicted is really innocent moments before the first drug is administered and a mad dash to stop the process/revive the person sentenced to death.
Old 02-05-06, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched only one soap opera, All My Children, for many years. A few standard stuff on this show as other soaps is:

1. long lost relative that shows up out of nowhere
2. good/evil twins
3. everyone can't drive. they always get in accidents
4. children age instantly
Old 02-05-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Amnesia as a plot device. Real amnesia doesn't happen as dramatically or with as much frequency.
But what about explosive amnesia?
Old 02-05-06, 10:51 AM

isnt it always storming out when people are driving as well? youd think they pick the worst possible times to leave the house
Old 02-05-06, 11:13 PM

Don't forget - plotlines and even specific characters can be eerily similar on shows airing on the same network - All My Children had an evil guy lobotomized so he's now harmless, General Hospital had an evil guy lobotomized so he would be harmless...only it didn't work.
Old 02-06-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tscott
And those babies will turn into cute 6 year old kids in six months (and turn into a hot troubled teens in love six months after that).
I cant remember what they call it but I think it is something like Rapid aging Syndrome
Old 02-06-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from all those cliches, the thing about soaps that bothers me the most is when characters explain plot points by talking to themselves.