Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Firefly: Season 2!!! Sign Up Today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I have to admit..... regardless of how much money it made, Firefly did conclude on a milestone-type status in Hollywood.

Cancelled TV series (of only 13 episodes) gets it's very own Big Screen Movie.

I don't think you can top that.

I agree 100%, and the fact that it was able to keep all of its original actors and not have to cave and get a celebrity guest was even more of a feat.
Old 01-26-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not completely dead and who knows what happens but this doesn't help any. It's like when the fans started to raise money to produce episodes of Enterprise. No way will the studio take that money. They can't anyways.
Old 01-26-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
NOT TRUE! In his own words...
Thank you!

Not that I believe this petition will do anything, mind you. More Serenity is a wonderful thought, but I don't really believe we'll see any live action product again (though I could be wrong).

It is funny that a show as recent as Firefly has already made the chasms between fans and nonfans that took Star Trek decades to create.
Old 01-26-06, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786

Cancelled TV series (of only 13 episodes) gets it's very own Big Screen Movie.

I don't think you can top that.
Police squad only lasted 6 eps. and had 3 Big Screen Movies!
Old 01-26-06, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I saw the film and caught the first few TV episodes. It was ok, but I don't see how it warranted the nutty fan-base I see on this forum. But have seen worse Sci-Fi make it. I didn't like it enough to "Fill out your Recruit Profile now"

Try actually finishing the series if you want to see how it warranted its fanbase. Hell, I wasn't even that big of a fan when I first saw a few episodes on TV. Being a Buffy/Angel fan, at the time I only thought it was ok. It wasn't until recently when I decided to get the DVDs and watch from the real beginning to the end (including the movie) that I became a fan. I see it in a completely different light than before.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 01-26-06 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-26-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by josuff247
Police squad only lasted 6 eps. and had 3 Big Screen Movies!

Damn you! Got me there.

Here we go... this is better.

Cancelled TV series (of only 13 episodes; broadcasted out of order) gets it's very own Big Screen Movie.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 01-26-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-26-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a huge Firefly but that petition is pointless. Getting the show renewed is impossible. If anything they should be fighting to get a direct to video Serenity sequel helmed by Tim Minear and produced by Whedon. And thats assuming they can even get the cast back for a direct to video movie.

As has been stated, Joss never said he didn't want to or won't be doing anything else having to do with Firefly. He just has a lot of work on his plate and he can't occupy himself with things that probrobly won't happen. If Universal offered something and he has the time at a later date, I am sure he would love to return to the universe.
Old 01-26-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a point where even die hards have to be realistic and not just wish and wish and wish. It's like those Trek fans that dont know how to deal with the end of Trek. I know its hard but move on.
Joss is busy with Wonder Woman. Who knows maybe he will come back to it in some form or another but it will be a few years.
My advice, start watching the new Doctor Who in March on Sci Fi and your might find something you like as much as Firefly.
Old 01-27-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm of the opinion that nothings impossible these days. With re-creations of things like Battlestar Galactica on TV, and movies like Serenity being made at all, anything can happen. I don't think anyone here is convinced that FOX will start showing a new season of Firefly this fall or anything like that. We're just trying to support the idea that some day, some way Joss may be able to revisit this universe. And if he does, I'm all for it.
Old 01-27-06, 11:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts
just let it die a nice, peaceful death already. yeah, it was a good show and even better movie, but that's it. enjoy what you have and move on!
Old 01-27-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Browncoats are starting to irritate me.

I loved the series (after watching it on DVD) and really enjoyed the movie, but it's time to let it go. The effort to get more Firefly was valiant and successful and now it's time for the fans to gracefully back down and enjoy the content that is out there. Who knows? For the die hard there will probably be extended adventures in novels and comics. It's not the same, but at least it's something.
Old 01-27-06, 05:07 PM

From Sci Fi Wire:
Will Firefly Season Two Fly?

A spokesman for Joss Whedon, creator of Firefly and its spinoff movie, Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that Whedon hasn't heard of Ace Underhill, an entrepreneur who said he is trying to acquire the rights to the SF TV franchise for purposes of mounting a second season to be distributed in alternative media. "Joss doesn't really know anything about that guy, and I don't really think he has a comment," Whedon's spokesman said in response to questions about Underhill's efforts.

For his part, Underhill told SCI FI Wire that he has contacted Whedon's representatives about starting up a new season of Firefly, which the Fox broadcast network canceled after a single season in 2003, but hadn't spoken with Whedon directly. Whedon previously told USA Today that he still hopes to tell more stories set in Serenity's futuristic universe, but added that there's no chance he'll do another Firefly TV show.

In response, Underhill said in an interview: "If he contacts me and says, 'Hey, we're not interested in Firefly anymore' or 'I'm not interested in Firefly anymore,' then I will abandon the project, and essentially it's over at that point. I'm not looking to create a cheap knockoff of the series without Joss' input. So that's not going to happen. ... If he's not going to be involved, then there is no project. There's no point."

Underhill said that he wants to acquire the rights to produce a second season of Firefly and has gone on the Web to solicit fans' support, though not their money. "We're looking at actually doing a direct pay-per- ... view model for this series, where the consumer could choose, if they wanted to, [to] view it on their computer, on their iPod, on direct-to-DVD sent to their house or on demand through their cable or satellite operator," Underhill said in a telephone interview. "That would be the first run of the series. And then the second run, obviously, you would go to the off-net cable channels. ... We're looking at giving choices to the audience."

Underhill said that he is also speaking with Jamie McCabe, senior vice president of worldwide pay-per-view and video-on-demand services for 20th Century Fox Television, which holds the TV rights to Firefly. SCI FI Wire calls to McCabe's office and Fox public relations representatives were not returned by press time.

Underhill added that he has contacted members of the Firefly/Serenity cast and had received a few rate quotes from agents, but he declined to say who. He acknowledged that he had not yet heard from Firefly/Serenity star Nathan Fillion.

Underhill said that he works with Brilliant Screen Entertainment, an Arizona-based company that, according to its Web site, provides TV and film production services, studio recording and DVD and CD project design. Underhill also said that he works with Cine Support International, which provides logistics and planning for film and television productions, and is on the film advisory board for the government of Costa Rica.

Firefly/Serenity fans, who call themselves Browncoats, are suspicious of Underhill's motives and methods, and the entrepreneur has gone on a Browncoat fan forum to answer questions.

Underhill admitted that his effort is a long shot: He even revealed that a bookmaker had contacted him to gauge the odds of his success for purposes of wagering. (He had no idea.) "Anything can be a long shot, and projects can be shut down at any time," he said. "But I'm hopeful and I'm keeping on it, and I'll put my perseverance on it and try to stay with it for the long haul. I understand it's not an overnight process, and I don't expect it to be, and I'm prepared for the long haul. ... At this point, I would say it's a long shot, but the chance exists."

Source
Old 01-28-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Try actually finishing the series if you want to see how it warranted its fanbase. Hell, I wasn't even that big of a fan when I first saw a few episodes on TV.
I'm just the opposite. I bought the box set as a blind buy because of all the buzz (and the DDD 20% off). I really enjoyed the pilot, but as I've worked my way through the series, I find myself less and less interested in it.

It's not that it's terrible or anything, but it just doesn't strike me as anything special. I can't imagine how this could have dragged on for 4 or 5 years.
Old 01-28-06, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jason
I'm just the opposite. I bought the box set as a blind buy because of all the buzz (and the DDD 20% off). I really enjoyed the pilot, but as I've worked my way through the series, I find myself less and less interested in it.

It's not that it's terrible or anything, but it just doesn't strike me as anything special. I can't imagine how this could have dragged on for 4 or 5 years.
I wasn't "hooked" until "Our Mrs. Reynolds". What episode are you on now? BTW, Joss Whedon shows generally hit their stride later on after the first season. The first season he gets people to care for the characters (with mostly stand alones) and then takes everyone for a much bigger ride in subsequent seasons. I have no doubt whatsoever that seasons 2 & 3 (and most likely 4 & 5 would've been better too) of Firefly would've blown away the first season.

Have you seen "Serenity" yet? That gives an idea of just some of the bigger things he planned for FireFly, although it was compressed to only two hours.
Old 01-28-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
too bad in the movie
Spoiler:
they killed off 2 of the characters
that pretty much put an end to my desire for another show unless it happens before the movie's timeline
Old 01-28-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
Although I wouldn't mind a movie explaining Book's past but that's just me
That's the one thing I felt was really missing form the show and movie. He really gets the shaft in the movie.
Old 01-30-06, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by nemein
Actually the worse thing that could happen is you end up in another spam database
If the spam can get past my intricate traps into my inbox, I welcome it!

I would still be interested in seeing some more of the Firefly characters. I have no idea if I would like the second season, yet I would like to be able to make that decision by WATCHING the second season.
Old 02-05-06, 07:45 PM

I got the movie, really enjoyed it. Got the show, loved it. I would love to see a season two or another Serenity.
Old 02-06-06, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Firefly already had one miraculous resurrection, and if I remember correctly the results were less than stellar. Hoping for another one is just wishful thinking. A petition will only confirm what everyone already knows; that there's a small, dedicated group of fans that love Firefly. It just isn't enough, unfortunately.
Sad, but true.

I wonder if any of these online petitions people put up have ever resulted in anything?
Old 02-06-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
River is now just another chop-socky vampire slayer, no Wash, no Book, NO SALE!
Old 02-06-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueScribner
I wonder if any of these online petitions people put up have ever resulted in anything?
That exact question came up in another thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....90#post6711990
Old 02-08-06, 02:04 AM

Maybe it is not dead.....

I am a big fan of Kristen from E Online, and this is what she has to say about Firefly.

Posted By: kristin
Created in: Forum: Watch with Kristin
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 6:22 PM

A friend just saw Nate Fillion, Summer Glau and Gina Torres coming out of one of the exec buildings at Paramount where they are putting together the new CW unit.

Hmmmmm? Will Firefly fly again?
Old 02-08-06, 06:20 AM

If they had cast Lawrence Fishburne as The Operative, Serenity would have probably made $50m and a sequel wouldn't seem so far-fetched.

Direct to Video is cool with me. I don't need a ton of CGI special effects. That was never what Firefly was about anyway.
Old 02-08-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjrab16
A friend just saw Nate Fillion, Summer Glau and Gina Torres coming out of one of the exec buildings at Paramount where they are putting together the new CW unit.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "CW unit"?
Old 02-08-06, 10:33 AM

CW is the new network by the combination of The WB and UPN, she just meant that unit at Paramount who will be working on the new network.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.