Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is David E. Kelly the Most Overrated Producer in the Last Decade?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Is David E. Kelly the Most Overrated Producer in the Last Decade?
Yes, He's a Hack and Chancer
23.33%
Yes, But He's a Decent Writer if He Wants to Be
50.00%
No, He's Not a Overrated Producer
26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no serious problems with David E. Kelly, but I do think he is a highly overrated TV writer and producer in the last ten years or so, despite having his occasional moments of brilliance (Picket Fences was an excellent series that never really went downhill). I just found many of TV shows to be sub-par, despite their promising opening episodes.

Ally McBeal was just a farce that went by on it's publicity rather than it's (non-existent) quality writing. And Boston Public was a decent series to begin with, plus it had a very solid cast line up, but it was already spiralling into mediocrity by time it was moving on from Season One into Season Two. Of course David E. Kelly tried to salvage the situation by scooping up Michael Rapaport and Jeri Ryan, but even that could not salvage the series in the long term.

And I've seen Season Two of Boston Legal and that show too is showing early signs of sinking into the grave. Although if David E. Kelly could play it smart and bring Boston Legal up to speed again by it's third season, but since he is a dodger that drops his shows quite often (like he dropped Boston Public in it's third season) so I wouldn't really count on it.

Although David E. Kelly could be a good writer if he focuses his mind, most of the time I think he is a overrated producer and hack writer that sinks his shows too often.

What do you think?
Old 01-13-06, 06:25 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's hard for him to be overrated when so many of his shows have such negative reactions. Pretty much what you said seems to be the general opinion of him. I disagree somewhat since I think Ally was superbly written and executed even in the later seasons. The only show of his that seems overrated to me is Boston Legal. I like Shatner and Spader, but the rest of the show is a total mess.
Old 01-13-06, 10:19 PM

The way I see it, he makes good shows but it's when he starts believing his own hype that the shows suffer. That's when he just has to change something, thus comes the downward spiral of crap with his shows. Some start early (Boston Legal), some start later on (The Practice, Ally McBeal).
Old 01-14-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Joss Whedon says 'Hi'.

D
Old 01-14-06, 12:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For all the hits he's had, he does have quite a few misses.. Snoops, Girls Club, Brotherhood of Poland NH, Ally (1/2 hour version), The Law Firm.
Old 01-14-06, 01:19 AM

Why another David E.Kelley poll?
Old 01-14-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking John Wells beats him out, personally.
Old 01-14-06, 04:57 AM

Posted by Nick Martin: Why another David E.Kelley poll?
Because I can!!!

I love going over the same kind of subject, over, over, over and over again...like flogging a dead horse!
Old 01-14-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
For all the hits he's had, he does have quite a few misses.. Snoops, Girls Club, Brotherhood of Poland NH, Ally (1/2 hour version), The Law Firm.

Yeah, that's why I might call him overrated, although from what I heard Snoops was pretty good (I never saw it). Not because his successes are overrated (although I think Ally might be). The Practice was a great show the first 3 years and Boston Legal has been fantastic. The bookend seasons of Boston Public were good.

Picket Fences and L.A. Law (where he was the principle writer for years) were 2 of the best shows ever.

Most overrated? John Wells without a doubt.
Old 01-14-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Boston Legal... but I think he needs to tell his cameraman to take it easy on the zoom.
Old 01-14-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Nah, you're thinking of Joss Whedon.

(ducks multiple flying objects)
Old 01-14-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
David E. Kelly and Les Moonves should get together

It would be UNSTOPPABLE!!!
Old 01-14-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yikes, he's not the director guys, keep in mind that producer and director are completely different jobs.
Old 01-14-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David E. Kelly isn't overrated, he's just a schmuck who likes to run his own products into the ground.
Old 01-14-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In television, the writers/producer call the shots and assume the most responsibility for a show's quality, since they have final say over a show's long-term direction. A TV director, unlike in feature film, is really a hired gun who must manage a pre-set production (and script over which they have little input) with a style that fits within the confines of the established show.
Old 01-14-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by filmerp
In television, the writers/producer call the shots and assume the most responsibility for a show's quality, since they have final say over a show's long-term direction. A TV director, unlike in feature film, is really a hired gun who must manage a pre-set production (and script over which they have little input) with a style that fits within the confines of the established show.
That's an AD and Production Manager's job, the Director is responsible for the production itself, not pre-production, he's essentially managing the set during shooting.
Old 01-14-06, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Because I can!!!

I love going over the same kind of subject, over, over, over and over again...like flogging a dead horse!

I noticed...Endless Voyager/Boston Public/Jeri Ryan threads and polls.
Old 01-14-06, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Nah, you're thinking of Joss Whedon.

(ducks multiple flying objects)
I've got a few things I'd like to throw your way
Old 01-15-06, 01:42 AM
Banned

He's great at starting a show; he just sucks when it comes to the follow through... or when he likes to use his shows for his own political soapbox.
Old 01-15-06, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I dislike his style of throwing in his personal political crap and presenting it poorly, but I don't think I would say that makes him overrated....just annoying.