Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FRIENDS - Matthew Perry & Painkillers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FRIENDS - Matthew Perry & Painkillers

How come the weight loss was attributed to abusing painkillers, and that when he stopped using them, he blew up like a balloon?
Old 01-13-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
How come the weight loss was attributed to abusing painkillers, and that when he stopped using them, he blew up like a balloon?

Didn't you answer your own question?
Old 01-13-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but how come? I mean, painkillers shouldn't make you lose weight unless you stop eating - and so far as I know, painkillers do not make you want to stop eating.
Old 01-13-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

but how come? I mean, painkillers shouldn't make you lose weight unless you stop eating - and so far as I know, painkillers do not make you want to stop eating.
I always thought it was the other way around, too, that painkillers usually lead to weight gain (not loss) and that usually after the person kicks the habit, they begin to lose weight. I've always assumed he fattened up when he started with the pills and slimmed down when he was off them. Although, what also makes sense is that he had a tough time getting over the addiction and ate to fill the void.
Old 01-13-06, 01:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
from what I have his weight was a constant issue for him, it's rather startling to see how he differs from season to season of the show
Old 01-13-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
from what I have his weight was a constant issue for him, it's rather startling to see how he differs from season to season of the show
The funniest moment was in the premiere of Season 7 which picked up right where Season 6 left off. Matthew Perry had suddenly lost about 30 pounds.
Old 01-13-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should have fired his ass right there. The producers must have thought the audience was stupid.
Old 01-13-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Im pretty sure that your not eating much when abusing ANY drug...the last thing I wanted to do when high was sit down to a nice meal.
Old 01-13-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Im pretty sure that your not eating much when abusing ANY drug...the last thing I wanted to do when high was sit down to a nice meal.

ever smoked weed?
Old 01-13-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
ever smoked weed?
...first thing that popped into my head too.
Old 01-13-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
When people give up an addiction, whatever it may be, their weight usually fluctuates (almost always up) because they supplant another addiction. Typically, for drug users it's food. The two most common things supplanting drug abuse see are cigs and soda.

Most drugs do suppress appetite, though.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-13-06 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by huzefa
They should have fired his ass right there. The producers must have thought the audience was stupid.
Or wasn't thinking about us watching the two episodes back-to-back on DVD. Besides did anyone really care?

How about how The Sopranos changed the actress playing FBI Agent Deborah Ciccerone/Danielle from Fairuza Balk to Lola Glaudini between season 3 and 4? Or how about swapping the Darrens on Betwitched or the Becky's MULTIPLE times on Roseanne... which is more ridiculous?
Old 01-13-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
ever smoked weed?
ok...REAL drug
Old 01-13-06, 10:15 PM

I remember Camryn Manheim being huge then amazingly she shrunk when I saw her in Romy And Michelle's High School Reunion. I think she said she was using coke at the time and when she stopped, she gained back all the weight she had lost.
Old 01-14-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by huzefa
Have you *watched* Friends before? Actually, you must have since you just nailed the mindset of the producers on the first try.
Old 01-16-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
ok...REAL drug

over use of most tranquilizers or sedatives (any downer, really) will usually result in weight gain. uppers, on the other hand.....
Old 01-17-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never noticed the switch between seasons 6 and 7 actually. Funny, though.
Old 01-17-06, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
When people give up an addiction, whatever it may be, their weight usually fluctuates (almost always up) because they supplant another addiction. Typically, for drug users it's food. The two most common things supplanting drug abuse see are cigs and soda.

Most drugs do suppress appetite, though.
That's the way my friends always went through their phases of using drugs.
Old 01-17-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Or wasn't thinking about us watching the two episodes back-to-back on DVD. Besides did anyone really care?

How about how The Sopranos changed the actress playing FBI Agent Deborah Ciccerone/Danielle from Fairuza Balk to Lola Glaudini between season 3 and 4? Or how about swapping the Darrens on Betwitched or the Becky's MULTIPLE times on Roseanne... which is more ridiculous?
Or when Aunt Vivian was transformed in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I believe there is a thread about that in here somewhere............