TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dunkin' Donuts Ad Actor Michael Vale Dies

Old 12-28-05, 02:12 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AP Newswire

Michael Vale, the actor best known for his portrayal of a sleepy-eyed Dunkin' Donuts baker who said "Time to make the doughnuts," has died. He was 83.

Vale died Saturday in New York City of complications from diabetes, according to son-in law Rick Reil.

Vale's long-running character, "Fred the Baker," for the doughnut maker's ad campaign lasted 15 years until he retired in 1997.

Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin' Donuts said in a statement that Vale's character "became a beloved American icon that permeated our culture and touched millions with his sense of humor and humble nature."

Vale was born in Brooklyn and studied acting at the Dramatic Workshop in New York City with classmates Tony Curtis, Ben Gazzara and Rod Steiger.

A veteran of the Broadway stage, film and television, Vale appeared in more than 1,300 TV commercials.
Old 12-28-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't he also play Sam Breakstone in commercials? Those, and the DD commercials were among the very few that I didn't mind. I liked the DD one where he dressed as a woman to check out a competitor, while still wearing his mustache.
(fake female voice) "Were these donuts made fresh this morning?"
(clueless counter guy) "No.....maam."
Old 12-28-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Time to write the obituary."

Last edited by ryuryu2949; 12-29-05 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-28-05, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
"Time to write the obituary."
When I saw this topic I wondered how long it would take for some one to make a tasteless "Time to make the doughnuts" joke. Two posts, people. It took exactly two posts until someone couldn't resist and posted a lame, tasteless joke like "Time to write the obituary." Why couldn't you just say "R.I.P." or even "Do you remember that one commercial where he..." ?

I'm sorry, I'm not usually the type to lecture but I just can't stand it when people don't show any respect for the people who have passed on. I'm getting off my soap box now.
Old 12-28-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Must be a Krispy Kreme fan.....
Old 12-28-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Crashnburn
When I saw this topic I wondered how long it would take for some one to make a tasteless "Time to make the doughnuts" joke. Two posts, people. It took exactly two posts until someone couldn't resist and posted a lame, tasteless joke like "Time to write the obituary." Why couldn't you just say "R.I.P." or even "Do you remember that one commercial where he..." ?

I'm sorry, I'm not usually the type to lecture but I just can't stand it when people don't show any respect for the people who have passed on. I'm getting off my soap box now.
I don't see why humor is viewed as being disrespectful. When I pass on I would love it to know that people were able to joke about my death. I'd like to think Mr. Vale would have found that joke amusing, I did.
Old 12-28-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually met Vale and I can say without the slightest reservation that he would have found the comment funny. He knew full well what his "legacy" would be -- and he had a sense of humor about it.
Old 12-28-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The comment didn't seem mean-spirited.

Odd thing is a few weeks ago, I used his famous tag line on a friend to tell him hello and to get to work. He thought it was funny. I hadn't seen the commercial in years though Dunkin' Donuts are my favorite doughnuts.

Nice legacy though I'm sure it may have driven him a nuts when people who recognized him told Vale that line.
Old 12-28-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why couldn't you just say "R.I.P." or even "Do you remember that one commercial where he..." ?
The commercial where he what? Said, "Time to make the donuts"?
Old 12-28-05, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
The commercial where he what? Said, "Time to make the donuts"?
The commercial where he dragged himself to work and back, twice a day, shuffling his feet, muttering, "Time to make the donuts." As he was leaving his home the last time, he opened the door and met himself, who said, "I already made the donuts!"
Old 12-29-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
That comment was less disrespectful to his legacy than the fact the Dunkin Doughnuts currently makes believe that it doesnt even sell Doughnuts in its ads, but instead is a high scale coffee house
Old 12-29-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Time to get off the high horse."
Old 12-29-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
"Time to calm the fuck down"
Old 12-29-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I can't believe some of you are (or at least one of you is) so touchy. I think what you need is a nice Boston Kreme donut, or perhaps a six-pack of munchkins and some Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Anything to get something in your pie-hole so you can shut the F--- up.

As for me, "time to go back to work."
Old 12-29-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this got rude in a hurry.

I'm staying clear if the 'Zoom Zoom' kid dies.
Old 12-29-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Wow, this got rude in a hurry.

I'm staying clear if the 'Zoom Zoom' kid dies.
If the kid from the Dell commercials gets shot in the face I call dibs on the first "Dude, you're getting a closed casket" post!
Old 12-29-05, 07:58 PM
Political Exile

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought he died a long time ago. Guess I confused it with his retirement.
Old 12-29-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a crazy ride...
Old 12-29-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Time to make this go away"
Old 12-30-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cleaver
If the kid from the Dell commercials gets shot in the face I call dibs on the first "Dude, you're getting a closed casket" post!
Okay, but I want the first "Can you bury me now? Good!" for that phone guy.
Old 12-31-05, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dunkin' Donuts has zero locations around here, but yes, I remember the commercials.

Mr. Vale also appeared in an episode of the Cosby Show (too lazy to look up exact details)

He played the nervous father of a woman about to give birth. Her husband couldn't be there, so he was filling in.

It's the episode where Dr. Huxtable has three patients delivering on the same night, and also guest stars Patricia Richardson...