Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deal or No Deal discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the show. After each "deal time" I quickly calculated the average. I was a bit disappointed that in the beginning the "deals" didn't match the "running average".
Sometimes the average decreased but the "deal" increased (but was always below the "average" except for when they got to the $138K offer, the average was actually $137,xxx).
Old 12-20-05, 07:31 PM

This show needs Regis. Bring Millionaire BACK NOW
Old 12-20-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by briank
I liked the show. After each "deal time" I quickly calculated the average. I was a bit disappointed that in the beginning the "deals" didn't match the "running average".
Sometimes the average decreased but the "deal" increased (but was always below the "average" except for when they got to the $138K offer, the average was actually $137,xxx).

i'm not sure it is truly based on straight average though.. i mean i know it basically is.. but I think there is a weighting of the numbers involved..
Old 12-20-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Anyone see this game show? They touted it as a smash hit in every country in the world and every planet in the solar system except for the U.S.

Howie Mandel is host.

Pretty simple rules.

26 numbered briefcases (each held by a lovely model).
Each case contains a money amount ranging from $.01 to $1 million.
Contestant selects one case for themselves.
Contestant then picks 5 cases to be opened and the amount shown, narrowing the field down.
The Banker offers the contestant money for the case. Lowball at first.
If it's No Deal, the contestant must pick 5 more cases to be revealed.
Banker offers another amount for contestant's case, could be higher or lower depending on which amounts have already been shown.
It goes on like that until there is just the contestant's case and 1 other case OR until contestant takes Banker's deal.

It was kind of interesting, but seems like it could get old quickly.
just watched the first show off my dvr - i didnt think a show with such simple rules could be so entertaining.

but within 2 minutes of seeing that first chick, i was instantly rooting against her. annoying as hell and too greedy. how could you turn down 138,000?! just because 500,000 was there dosent mean you have it! not with like 4 cases left.

idiot.
Old 12-20-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wooderson
That was the most longest most boringest hour of my life. Howie sucked and looked like a crackhead with the bald head and doodoo peice under his lip.
The show is so so so so so so SLOW. This thing will get its little trial episodes that NBC bought because their head of programing saw his own sister naked then the show will never see the light of day again. Let the holmless watch this show and I bet they go out and get a job.
agreed - way too slow. only one person per hour? pathetic.
Old 12-20-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wnyx1440
Yes, pretty boring show, in my opinion. Doesn't really require any skill of any kind... everyone was rather annoying (and I somewhat like Howie Mandel).
problem is there almost no combination of cases and an offer that would end the persons run after the first 6 cases. id say nearly everyone would keep going no matter what. its the nature of the game.

if they pick 6 low cases of course they are gonna still keep going.

if they pick 6 high ones, they will be pissed and just keep going because it cant get any worse.
Old 12-20-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yeah, I expected it to more than just opening suitcases. I wanted to smack that one lady for listening to her stupid family. They don't even own a house but they are turning down $138K for a "chance" to win $500K?

The family kept saying they had a vibe about case #8 - idiots you are supposed to pick the cases that you don't have a good vibe about!

I picked 8 at the very beginning, so I guess I would have won $500K.

The online game at NBC.com is actually pretty fun.
AGREED! vibe about 8? based on what? absolutely nothing and it cost them well over 100 grand. greed. pure greed. too bad.
Old 12-20-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atari2600
problem is there almost no combination of cases and an offer that would end the persons run after the first 6 cases. id say nearly everyone would keep going no matter what. its the nature of the game.

if they pick 6 low cases of course they are gonna still keep going.

if they pick 6 high ones, they will be pissed and just keep going because it cant get any worse.

agreed.. plus unlike all other game shows, there is really no participation for the audience at home.. no questions to answer
Old 12-20-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i'm not sure it is truly based on straight average though.. i mean i know it basically is.. but I think there is a weighting of the numbers involved..
Yeah but they aren't doing it based on a set methodology I don't think.

As this second guy, with 6 left, the average was over $210,000.
With a 50% chance of $300, 400, or $500K.
They only offer $99k for the "deal". Knowing you only have to knock 1 more case off. Even if you knocked the top case off, your average is still more than the last offer.
Old 12-20-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by briank
Yeah but they aren't doing it based on a set methodology I don't think.

As this second guy, with 6 left, the average was over $210,000.
With a 50% chance of $300, 400, or $500K.
They only offer $99k for the "deal". Knowing you only have to knock 1 more case off. Even if you knocked the top case off, your average is still more than the last offer.

agreed... the way they cut to commerical is kind of lame.... i'm all for suspense, but it is lame/forced suspense
Old 12-20-05, 10:15 PM

Like most have already said, this show's gonna get old real quick. Unless you're the one actually going for the money, it's just too slow. I laughed when Howie polled the audience on whether the person should take the deal or not. Like they really give a crap. I'd be like "sure...go for it!" every time It's not my money to win or lose.

I actually prefer skill game shows, and when I was watching "Deal..." tonight I remembered Greed, which aired a few years ago in the midst of the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" mania. It was similar in the "watch people give up a ton of $ because they're greedy as hell", but much more fun to me b/c it was a group game and I'm a trivia question dork. This one's pure luck and only gets interesting near the end. The family and friends sqwawking out numbers were also good for a few laughs. I like how that one guy's buddy and bartender kept pumping their fists, like they were expecting a cut of the money or something. I'll probably tune in for a few more days if nothing else is on.
Old 12-20-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last lady is either on her own drugs or they gave her a cocktail of Prozac, lithium and ritalin before the show. Very irritating, she reminds me of my ex-wife after she started abusing Prozac, and a prostitute on meth I arrested last night.
Old 12-20-05, 11:27 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Who brings their bartender to a game show?

Old 12-21-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Just caught six hours, oops I mean 30 minutes of this show at the gym tonight. My opinion : It's a half-step better than All-Star Celebrity "Guess Which Number I'm Thinking Of". That half-step is due exclusively to the pretty models holding those white suitcases. What a snooze-fest. It's ironic : Howie bombed big-time while subbing for Regis on his show a few years back, and here history repeats itself.
Old 12-21-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was kinda fun at first, but after you've seen it once or twice, there's no hook to keep you watching. It's a quiz show without the quiz. You're just watching these people pick random numbers and try to get lucky. It doesn't even get exciting until after they've narrowed about half of the suitcases, and that could take 20-30 minutes with commercials.
Old 12-21-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gnradd21
Like most have already said, this show's gonna get old real quick. Unless you're the one actually going for the money, it's just too slow. I laughed when Howie polled the audience on whether the person should take the deal or not. Like they really give a crap. I'd be like "sure...go for it!" every time It's not my money to win or lose.
actually id say "take the deal!" everytime...quicker they finish, sooner he can pick someone else which might be me (assuming this is like the price is right where the entire audience could get picked).
Old 12-21-05, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It was kinda fun at first, but after you've seen it once or twice, there's no hook to keep you watching. It's a quiz show without the quiz. You're just watching these people pick random numbers and try to get lucky. It doesn't even get exciting until after they've narrowed about half of the suitcases, and that could take 20-30 minutes with commercials.
exactly - this game will never end until at least half the cases have been opened which is at least two full rounds. usually more.
Old 12-21-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
...You're just watching these people pick random numbers and try to get lucky...
And that synopsis makes the show sound A LOT more interesting than it is.
Old 12-21-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watched the show last night...If they put horse rectums or eyeballs in some of the cases and the people had to eat them to keep going I think it would be much better. It's just too dull as is.

Old 12-21-05, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's like a cross between Treasure Hunt and that punchboard game on Price Is Right. Except I just made it sound more interesting than it really is.
Old 12-21-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody else noticed how much they add dubbed info about the odds and stuff? Howie's voice kept changing in quality tonight, like Trump's in The Apprentice's boardroom.

I find the show semi-entertaining. But mostly, it's like watching grandma play a scratcher loto ticket.
Old 12-21-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I noticed the dubbed voice as well, very obvious
one time it didn't even sound like him
Old 12-21-05, 11:01 PM

I imagine they put in the dubbed voice cause there were complaints that ppl had trouble following the show.

Sad, but probably true.
Old 12-22-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this show is decent with a Tivo and 30-second skip. I cannot fathom watching it live. Taking an hour to watch this show would be unbearable, but the 10-15 minutes I'm watching are fairly entertaining. If this comes back, they absolutely need to get rid of these ridiculous 10 minute long decisions. Editing is good, 'mkay?

One question I have for those watching this with HDNet... One of the briefcase girls is named Lindsay. She bears an uncanny likeness as far as I can see to Lindsay Clubine, host of HDNet's Get Out... Anyone else have any idea if it's really her or not? Can't imagine it is, since holding a briefcase on a second-rate game show is bottom of the barrel compared with the job she currently has with HDNet. Here's the image of her on HDNet's bio page for those without HDNet...
Old 12-22-05, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This should might be entertaining if there was a 1 in 2 (33.3%) chance of the contestant actually winning any money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.