Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joe Millionaire: For Richer or Poorer (Fox) 1/6/22

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Joe Millionaire: For Richer or Poorer (Fox) 1/6/22

Almost 20 years since the show’s original run on Fox, Joe Millionaire is back to once again ask the question, “Is the temptation of wealth stronger than the power of true love?”

Putting a twist on the original reality show, two men will search for “the one” among a pool of 20 women, only the women don’t know which one is a millionaire and which one is the “average Joe.” At the center of the show are bachelors Steven McBee and Kurt Sowers, each successful in their respective careers and each looking for a true romantic connection.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Joe Millionaire: For Richer or Poorer (Fox) 1/6/22

So this reality show retread came back last night with a two-hour premiere. I think Fox is planning on re-airing the premiere this weekend if you missed it.

So the guy on the left is worth $10 million, the guy on the right is a regular working joe. The rich guy's family has a big farm and ranching business in his small Missouri town. A British butler serves as host.

The two-hour premiere does have a lot of padding, I've never seen such extended previews before each commercial break of stuff happening later in the episode. A liberal use of the fast-forward button helps.

Among the ladies, one has an Olympic medal and another is a former Miss Georgia. In the opener, one lady gets drunk and has an emotional breakdown.

I gave it a chance because the original made such waves but the producers don't seem as manipulative this time around. It's a kinder, gentler take on the premise, though some behavior by the ladies feels more like a trashy MTV show than say The Bachelor. The regular joe bachelor doesn't exude rich guy vibes and some of the ladies are already picking up on that.
Old 01-07-22, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Will we get a Playboy pictorial like we did with one contestant or runner up in season 1 though the photos were weak?
Old 01-07-22, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
So this reality show retread came back last night with a two-hour premiere. I think Fox is planning on re-airing the premiere this weekend if you missed it.

So the guy on the left is worth $10 million, the guy on the right is a regular working joe. The rich guy's family has a big farm and ranching business in his small Missouri town. A British butler serves as host.

The two-hour premiere does have a lot of padding, I've never seen such extended previews before each commercial break of stuff happening later in the episode. A liberal use of the fast-forward button helps.

Among the ladies, one has an Olympic medal and another is a former Miss Georgia. In the opener, one lady gets drunk and has an emotional breakdown.

I gave it a chance because the original made such waves but the producers don't seem as manipulative this time around. It's a kinder, gentler take on the premise, though some behavior by the ladies feels more like a trashy MTV show than say The Bachelor. The regular joe bachelor doesn't exude rich guy vibes and some of the ladies are already picking up on that.

This post seems to be saying they already revealed which Joe is which?
Old 01-07-22, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

The novelty of a reality dating show has been overplayed since the original Joe Millionaire.

That being said, I did watch the premiere and none of the contestants seem that great (in terms of wifey material).

I’ve only predicted two reality show winners since the genre began - once for Amazing Race and once for Joe Millionaire season 2
Old 01-07-22, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
This post seems to be saying they already revealed which Joe is which?
It's revealed in the first five minutes of the first episode. Only the girls are in the dark as to which one is which.
Old 01-08-22, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

the guy on the right is a regular working joe.
.."regular working joe" and he's a CEO/or started his own business. They should've cast a deadbeat opposite the millionaire. Also these guys must be absolutely crushing it on dating apps/social media so .. what is the point here. Like the rich dude's social media reach is so strong one of the girls cast was following his insta or whatever.
Old 01-08-22, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...her-or-poorer/

So the “average Joe” on this show still make more than 99% of the general population? What’s the point?
Old 01-08-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Finisher
.."regular working joe" and he's a CEO/or started his own business. They should've cast a deadbeat opposite the millionaire. Also these guys must be absolutely crushing it on dating apps/social media so .. what is the point here. Like the rich dude's social media reach is so strong one of the girls cast was following his insta or whatever.
The rich guy was already drowning in women before he ever went on this show and this show mostly feels like a way to stroke his ego further. I suspect neither bachelor will get a real relationship out of this dating pool, unless maybe the regular joe falls for that single mom he has eyes for. They both seem into each other.
Old 01-08-22, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

unless maybe the regular joe falls for that single mom he has eyes for. They both seem into each other.
She's pretty hot. There are a few standouts. But all their dms are gonna absolutely blow up after this show so can't imagine anything from this show lasts especially a single mom.

Girls need to stop with the lip injections.
Old 01-13-22, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will predict Annie as one of the winners.

That opera date seemed so boring haha
Old 01-14-22, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The show doesn't seem to have much of a budget. As you said, the opera date seemed underwhelming and obviously the bowling alley date cost about two dollars.

I was surprised about Jennie opening up about being sex trafficked on the date. That really doesn't seem like a first date topic to me but I'm guessing the show's producers may have prodded her into it.
MLBFan24 (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kurt wants Amanda’s personality with Carolyn’s looks. Go for Amanda.

Carolyn is asking too much from Kurt. She wants him to love her kid and accept her ex without even meeting them yet.

Annie is still my fav. She looks to have some staying power.

Funny and unusual eliminations this week.
Old 01-21-22, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Annie and the other two brunettes who won the "awards" are my favorites. And I guess the single mom.

LOL at duck lips drooling over dude on the crew (he looked 16 btw). Did she not realize they were filming her? Guess she didn't care.
Old 01-21-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I imagine Rachel (the drunk girl) waking up in a hotel, realizing she was blackout drunk last night, and wondering why she isn't in the mansion
Old 01-21-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Kurt wants Amanda’s personality with Carolyn’s looks. Go for Amanda.

Carolyn is asking too much from Kurt. She wants him to love her kid and accept her ex without even meeting them yet.

Funny and unusual eliminations this week.
Annie is getting a winner's edit. They are slowly building her profile up. She has to be one of the very last women left when everyone else is kicked off. Agree about Kurt, though I think producers may have told him to show interest in another woman besides Carolyn. His personality doesn't seem a good fit for reality television.
MLBFan24 (01-21-22)
Old 01-28-22, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I'm mistaken, but has there been a non-white girl eliminated each week? Slowly eliminating them week-by-week. I see what they're doing....

But Annie is still my fav.

Breena was a hot mess. Why did I like that?

Run far away from Carolyn.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 01-28-22 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Carolyn sees Kurt as a wealthy man who will provide for her kid. She clearly thinks he's the millionaire. At this point is Kurt pursuing anyone but Carolyn and her blonde friend?

Steven's quest on this show is mostly pointless. Now that America knows he's a rich millionaire looking for a wife, he's going to get bombarded with women approaching him. There's no way he settles down with a woman from this reality show.
Old 01-31-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Phantom, yes to what you said. I do not watch the show, but it is no secret that the women were cast for the show not just for their looks but because they might be a bit quirky when it comes to their personalities.

Unless Steven really ends up clicking with a woman on this show, all he has done is amplify his dating profile by being on the show so he will have a lot of ladies to sort through over the coming weeks and months who were not on the show. I always kind-of feel bad for the women who go on a show like this, as they are oftentimes revealed to be digging for gold, or are just portrayed as a bit kray, kray and neither look is generally considered a good one if you want to show a prospective mate what you have to offer them when pursuing a relationship.

I also get that their appearance on a show like this is paid, and oftentimes the ladies are pushing themselves as a product, or amplifying a well rehearsed schtick they put on to get noticed by Hollywood. Still, at times it is so degrading and I tend not to watch stuff like this show because I tend to shy away from watching folks deliberately embarrass themselves on reality TV.
PhantomStranger (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These shows draw upon way too many social media influencers in their dating pools. I got the feeling with the 22-year-old who started hitting on one of the television crew that it was a calculated strategy for media attention, knowing her storyline would stick out and make it to air. She was hoping to boost her social media profile and it wouldn't surprise me if she ends up doing one of MTV's reality shows.
Old 01-31-22, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These shows draw upon way too many social media influencers in their dating pools.
They probably want people with decent social media followings since their followers will tune in. Then the girl will in exchange gain more followers. There really aren't that many attractive single girls at this point who don't have socials.
Old 02-04-22, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting eliminated girl this week. She dug her own grave when she went to the winery using her gold coin.

She left in the SUV during daylight and arrived at the winery late in the evening. I wonder how long it took to get to the winery. Definitely not enough time to enjoy a one hour date. Her Twitter said she had choice of when to use her coin, but when at the winery, Production made her interrupt Whitney and Steve's date. That wasn't her choice of timing.

Whitney may be a sleeper potential winner. One of the guys said she doesn’t wear makeup. She definitely has a natural beauty.

Annie still has my vote

Last edited by MLBFan24; 02-04-22 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-04-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think production is heavily influencing who is getting eliminated each week. After that first date, the lawyer didn't show Steven much affection like the other girls and I think it cost her.
Old 02-10-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh, Carolyn is awful. She needs to go. There is no connection between Kurt and Carolyn. When the date conversations only focus on the ex drama and “you’re beautiful”, then he should see there is no substance to the conversation. Cut her loose already.

Ooohhh, Annie is lookin mighty fine and still a contender. My pick is getting stronger.

Whitney making the right moves. Good for her. I like her. She’s surpassing Amanda.

I got a laugh out of the fake bow tie during the obstacle course. Though I understand it would take too long to tie a real bow tie. Just thought it was funny. I have one bow tie and it takes me 10 minutes and a mirror to get it done haha

Felt sad for Breanna. Needs to work on herself before trying to find love. Though if this was a normal co-ed dating show (instead of Bachelor style) and if I was on it, I would probably gravitate towards Breanna ....she's a hot mess and I like it! And of course, I am not in Annie's league

I liked Suzan, but mostly her don’t give a F attitude crocheting on primetime tv haha she’ll find love. Keep your head up girl.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 02-11-22 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-11-22, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a real physical connection between Kurt and Carolyn but it's clear there's little else between them. I'm sure they'll have a fun few weeks before the reality of a relationship hits both of them. She's going to be disappointed when she finds out Kurt isn't loaded.

I'm fairly sure both bachelors have already made up their minds despite what they are saying on camera.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.