TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Attack of the Show appreciation thread

Old 05-31-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Attack of the Show appreciation thread

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
damn, I wish I could watch this.... fucking DirecTV
It's all online. You have to watch it in segments.

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/
Old 05-31-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Wasn't he the show? How do they go about replacing him? Sara Underwood was crying her eyes out in the final minute of the show. I'll be honest and say I haven't watched regularly since the Olivia Munn era, but Kevin was always the center of the show. It only worked because of him, I really don't think the format is that great. I wonder if they asked Munn to come back for a surprise live appearance or were there too many bridges burned at G4?
Old 06-01-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This show won't be the same, and I wonder if my viewing of it on a nightly basis will be curtailed, probably so, but I'll see how the struggle goes to pick up the pieces in the coming weeks. At least it's the summer, so my viewing plate has a lot less on it. Good luck, Kevin!
Old 06-01-12, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah watching whatever happens to G4 after E3 is going to very interesting.

They should just make Morgan the new host of AOTS along with Candice.

Let Blair and his wife host X-Play.

Last edited by Evan Meadow; 06-02-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-01-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're going to need to find someone as quick witted as Kevin. Anything more scripted or less edgy might kill the show. And then G4 is just down to Cops and Cheaters reruns.

This happened when John Henson left Talk Soup. They had some people in between (for what, three or five years?) and then settled on Joel McHale, who is just as good as Henson.
Old 06-01-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think you're the demographic for this show... I think it skews much younger (either that or I just think old, because it seemed way too flashy for me with bits of interesting content here and there). Seemed like a ton of fratboy type of humor, so maybe more college aged?
I think you're right. I tried to watch some of the show yesterday and still wanted to claw my eyes out. Everything about it was intolerable. The target demographic seems to be ~18-26 year-olds.
Old 06-01-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't believe the show will ever be the same. The reason it worked so well was that Kevin legitimately knew his way around all aspects of geek culture. I have a feeling its gonna be a new face as the co-host......if G4 is still around in 3 months that is.
Old 06-01-12, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I think you're right. I tried to watch some of the show yesterday and still wanted to claw my eyes out. Everything about it was intolerable. The target demographic seems to be ~18-26 year-olds.
What demographic do you think a show catering to gamers and geeks would be? 49-59?
Old 06-01-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
The reason it worked so well was that Kevin legitimately knew his way around all aspects of geek culture.
Agreed. It's going to be hard to find somebody as "qualified" as Kevin was.
Old 06-01-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Jerry Springer made a good point - Kevin has over 1500 hours of live variety TV experience under his belt, and for someone his age, that is unheard of. Even if they find someone who's good in front of the camera, there's no replacing him.
Old 06-01-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
What demographic do you think a show catering to gamers and geeks would be? 49-59?
No, but 25-40 is pretty realistic which was my original assumption. A couple of pertinent facts from here about gamers to back that up:
The average game player is 37 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 41 years old.
Additionally, a healthy portion of the non-gaming geek culture that they cover is content that would skew toward people older than 18. But the way it's all presented and covered seems to obviously target a younger audience.
Old 06-01-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I've always thought those stats pushed by the gaming industry were bogus. Their core demographics are clearly 16-24 year-olds. You need lots of free time and a lack of familial obligations to heavily play modern videogames.
Old 06-01-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've always thought those stats pushed by the gaming industry were bogus. Their core demographics are clearly 16-24 year-olds. You need lots of free time and a lack of familial obligations to heavily play modern videogames.
Thing is, most of the people in that bracket, while they might have the time to play the games, don't have the funds to buy more than a few games a year. When I was that age, I couldn't afford too many games, but I played the shit out of the ones I had. Whereas now that I'm more financially established, I buy almost everything that looks good, but I can barely scratch the surface of most of those games.
Old 06-01-12, 03:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

do we know if Kevin really wanted to leave, or if G4 pushed him out the door like Sessler?
Old 06-01-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I the only one that thinks Candice was completely full of shit with regards to the crying? You could tell Sara was legitimately upset and balling her eyes out, but I feel like she was pulling a total acting job.

Also, people may hate Munn, but I thought her video clip was funny and shows why she is missed on the show.
Old 06-02-12, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

do we know if Kevin really wanted to leave, or if G4 pushed him out the door like Sessler?
Adam Sessler got nothing in regards to a goodbye, just like Olivia Munn.

Kevin Pereira, on the other hand, got a wonderful send-off. A chance to bow out in style through his last E3 assignment with G4... oh, and a press release a month ago on G4TV.com announcing his decision to leave. He even gave fans a teaser heads up via Twitter before the announcement. KP has a TV show in development at SyFy and announced this via Twitter a week before his teaser Tweet. I'd say like Alison Haislip and Chris Hardwick, he made the hard decision to leave a network he loves even when the decisions they make are awful.

Sessler's Twitter announcement was the same day he was let go. No farewell, no final awesome assignment. Just replaced and the show redone to remove reference to him.
Old 06-02-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

From what it sounds like, Sessler wanted to stay but couldn't come to financial terms with G4. Who knows if he wanted more than before or if they wanted to give him less than before. Kevin must have decided he was going to leave and this may have been the end of his contract or his contract allowed him to leave somehow.
Old 06-05-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

While I didn't see any of it, apparently Adam Sessler was on SpikeTV as part of their E3 coverage this week. Spike didn't have a great deal of coverage, they got the Microsoft, EA and Nintendo press conferences, but have no show floor coverage as G4 is exclusive.

Still, it's nice to see Sessler show up somewhere this week. I could see him used at Comic-con as well.
Old 06-06-12, 03:37 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
While I didn't see any of it, apparently Adam Sessler was on SpikeTV as part of their E3 coverage this week. Spike didn't have a great deal of coverage, they got the Microsoft, EA and Nintendo press conferences, but have no show floor coverage as G4 is exclusive.

Still, it's nice to see Sessler show up somewhere this week. I could see him used at Comic-con as well.
I was only half-watching while I worked, so I didn't catch everything. But from what I saw, he was barely used at all. He was the 3rd guy on a 3-person panel. He didn't seem to give much input. That slot could have been filled by anybody.

I saw Alison Haislip on SpikeTV's coverage. She was interviewing some developers.
Old 06-06-12, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I was only half-watching while I worked, so I didn't catch everything. But from what I saw, he was barely used at all. He was the 3rd guy on a 3-person panel. He didn't seem to give much input. That slot could have been filled by anybody.

I saw Alison Haislip on SpikeTV's coverage. She was interviewing some developers.
Haslip was doing interviews too? I didn't see her doing that as part of Spike's coverage. I just saw her playing a game as part of a team with Zachery Levi.

GT was definitely giving the finger as much as they could to G4 with those two showing up.
Old 06-06-12, 07:22 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Haslip was doing interviews too? I didn't see her doing that as part of Spike's coverage.
Here's one of her interviews. Not a fan of the red hair.

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:731034" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...den-nfl/731034

Tina Wood and Geoff Keighley were also there. Lots of former G4 people.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 06-06-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So has this been cancelled and replaced by Cheaters reruns yet?
Old 06-06-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

So I went to E3 yesterday and saw a few of the G4 ladies roaming around the convention center floor....

Jessica Chobot

Tiffany Smith

Sara Underwood

Last edited by alfredog1976; 06-07-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added another picture
Old 06-06-12, 12:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Sarah Underwood is a fucking smoke-show. Dayyyyummmmn. Chobot is pretty got too. as was Munn, Haislip, and Adams. Webb has never done much for me.
Old 06-06-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Sarah Underwood is a fucking smoke-show. Dayyyyummmmn. Chobot is pretty got too. as was Munn, Haislip, and Adams. Webb has never done much for me.
Webb was much hotter as a blonde back in the TechTV days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.