SNL 12/10/05 - (H) Alec Baldwin (M) Shakira

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 12/10/05 - (H) Alec Baldwin (M) Shakira

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to bring any critizism to a show that was much better than normal, but...

While watching the Richard Pryor clip, I was just thinking that there is no way in hell they would do anything like that these days. It's wierd becuase media has supposed to have gotton much worse.

Second, do they have to do a stupid song intro and exit for every stecth?
Old 12-11-05, 07:03 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the season tally on this thread is a pandering joke. Alec Baldwin should just join the damn cast already and stop the hosting for the inth time. The Richard Pryor "tribute" proves it. I haven't watched much over the last few years because of how low it's sunk. RIP Richard Pryor, die already SNL. I wish SNL had gone first.
Old 12-11-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts
The weekend update gave off a "we're the two running this show now, and we're funny, deal with it dammit!" vibe from Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Is that the way they normally are? I haven't seen the two of them do one before, but they seem as though they are the two people running the show, and not in a positive way.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 12-11-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We both laughed our asses off during the facial transplant sketch when the doctor said his wife needed the drugs to prevent rejection and he went over to the IV and knocked it down and said "Oops!"

Not that funny of a line, but just wonderful delivery.
Old 12-11-05, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
They've been giving off that vibe since they were put together when Jimmy Fallon left. I'm surprised the lack of laughter hasn't given them the message.
Yeah, I'm a huge Poehler fan (from the UCB days, and have seen her do improv many times), but WU has been quite lame(r) lately. I end up ffwing it most of the time. Tina Fey really needs to be replaced as head writer.
Old 12-11-05, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The weekend update gave off a "we're the two running this show now, and we're funny, deal with it dammit!" vibe from Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Is that the way they normally are? I haven't seen the two of them do one before, but they seem as though they are the two people running the show, and not in a positive way.
You know I have gotten that lately. I didn't see much of Viig last night either. That's not cool, she can actually do impressions.
Old 12-11-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
good show overall. and i'm surprised that this was barely mentioned:

the best WU joke in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time (the brokeback mountain one), and it's revealed that Fey's father wrote it. hmmm, so he's better than everyone else that writes for WU? seems that way.
Old 12-12-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
good show overall. and i'm surprised that this was barely mentioned:

the best WU joke in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time (the brokeback mountain one), and it's revealed that Fey's father wrote it. hmmm, so he's better than everyone else that writes for WU? seems that way.
I turned to my husband and said "Where can I start sending her my jokes?"

Surely the longtime viewers of SNL could write better material than has been offered uplately by these "professionals".
Old 12-12-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 140 Posts
You put it very well. As someone alluded this has sadly been a long running problem now. If only they were 1/10 as funny as they think they are.
Old 12-12-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They've turned into SNL's version of "Mean Girls".
Old 12-12-05, 05:22 AM

Received 529 Likes on 377 Posts
Loved the elf skit. That'll go down as a classic.

For anyone that wants a replay of the Shakira bits, check out:

http://www.shakiramedia.com/?page=lastaddedvids
Old 12-12-05, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
For anyone that wants a replay of the Shakira bits, check out:

http://www.shakiramedia.com/?page=lastaddedvids
Thanks for the link.
Old 12-12-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you don't understand the last elf parody go rent Glengerry Glen Ross, an unbelievable movie with some of the best talent and acting ever assembled.
Old 12-12-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
AB is still a great host and lifted this episode singlehandedly into this season's best. However, they should've chunked that hideous "Carol" skit and shown a full-length, old Richard Pryor skit in tribute instead. (And I was really, really hoping this show would have a Zinger/Burns rematch between Meyers and AB - with AB winning this time - so not getting one was a little disappointing.)

As for the musical guest, Shakira's first song was disappointing because she didn't really dance, but the second song gave us a full helping of her ass-shaking, although not as great as the full-on shimmy dance she did at the MTV awards. (BTW, does anyone watch her to actually hear the music?)
Old 12-12-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neiname
If you don't understand the last elf parody go rent Glengerry Glen Ross, an unbelievable movie with some of the best talent and acting ever assembled.
Or more in the spirit of the movie:

"YOU! PUT DOWN THE COFFEE AND GO RENT IT NOW!!"
Old 12-12-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac
Or more in the spirit of the movie:

"YOU! PUT DOWN THE COFFEE AND GO RENT IT NOW!!"

I was sipping my coffee the moment I read your post. OK, I'm convinced.
Old 12-12-05, 09:57 AM

are there repeats on any of the cable stations?
Old 12-12-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

I was sipping my coffee the moment I read your post. OK, I'm convinced.
Good - but I got the quote from the movie a bit wrong, dammit! (The original quote is "PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN! Coffee is for closers.")
Old 12-12-05, 03:51 PM

Post a link to the Glengarry Glen Ross elf parody if you find one. I saw it on SNL myself but know a bunch of GGR fans that probably missed it.
Old 12-12-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Ditto from me. Even Baldwin can't save the godawful writing. Tina Fey wouldn't know funny if it crawled up her ass and died.
I personally found Mean Girls to be quite funny and good, so she has some tallent in writing.

Oh and i hope they replay this episode soon. since now that snl is in hd we can fully see Shakira shaken it in full on high defenition. (and my dumb ass missed it)
Old 12-12-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Excellent show, more proof that the host's the thing. I'd only seen Shakira on those phone commercials, but I must admit I liked the second tune (the first sounded like an Alanis Morrissette wannabe) and she is hot!
On the Richard Pryor tribute - one of the legendary broadcasts of all time and all we get is one snippet of a sketch? I woudn't have minded a repeat of that entire show on Saturday!
Old 12-12-05, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mike7162
On the Richard Pryor tribute - one of the legendary broadcasts of all time and all we get is one snippet of a sketch? I woudn't have minded a repeat of that entire show on Saturday!
A snippet of a sketch that they always show...it's as if the only thing he did on SNL was that one sketch.

Last edited by Grimm1; 12-13-05 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-12-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It was nice seeing Tim Meadows again. Any one catch his guest shot recently on the "The Office"? He was very funny.
Old 12-17-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts
Finally caught this off TIVO. God bless Alec Baldwin. With all due respect to Hanks and Martin, I think he may be their best host ever. I still find it shocking that he's never been cast as a lead in an all-out comedy. The guy has amazing delivery and if the wouldn't-know-funny-if-it-bit-them-in-the-ass writers can get comedy gold from him every single time, why can't Hollywood bigwigs?

That Elf sketch had me in tears. I knew where they were going from the moment he walked in and was delighted that they went there. Most big actors won't revisit their best work on SNL, but this hit all the right notes (maybe a little too much, as with the Always Be Closing line, but still). Did anyone think they might have missed an opportunity at another Pacino impersonation with that bit, though.
Old 12-17-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would put Baldwin ahead of Hanks, but he's no Steve Martin as far as SNL hosts go. Steve is the gold standard of hosts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.