Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Daily Show or Colbert Report?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Daily Show or Colbert Report?
Daily Show
63.64%
Colbert Report
36.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-05, 04:26 AM
En vacance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was about time this was done, with the Report finally coming on to its own out of the murky TV starting-period and now in full steam. Which fake-news show do you prefer?
Old 12-09-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Colbert Report without a doubt. The Daily Show used to at least try to be a satire of all the lame news shows on TV, but ever since the last election it seems to think it's really a news show... Sure it tries to add humor at every chance, but it just takes itself way too seriously. I tried to start watching it again, since I had stopped after the last election, but when they spent half the show having Dolly Parton hawking her new CD...

The Colbert Report is just insane and does what it needs to do to stand apart and be what the Daily Show should be. And thankfully, no sign of celebrity guests yet.
Old 12-09-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This is like asking me which nut I like more. The left or the right. Sure, the right hangs out a bit more, but they are both my nuts and I love them so.

not to mention they are both funny.. though looks aren't everything.

I like TDS for the variety. the segments and interviews can range from hollywood-ish to completely political while TCR is all about the complete and utter satire of O'riely factor and I love how he does it.

Altogether it makes a solid hour of news satire.
Old 12-09-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure I can pick between the two. Some nights DS is the winner, other nights Colbert is.

Was it's Wednesday's show with the "Threat Down"? Because that's the night Colbert won this week for me.
Old 12-09-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gave The Colbert Report about three weeks when it first started, but eventually gave up on it as being too much of a "one note" half hour. I mean, how many times can a raised eyebrow or "stealing" a guest's applause ellicit laughs? Now, I'm back to just The Daily Show.
Old 12-09-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that The Daily Show takes itself too seriously some times. It's a little annoying, but the show is still mostly funny. The Report misses a lot (young show), but I really do enjoy it, and I love all the gimmicks they have: the "Threat Down", the shelves in the corner of the set, the "Dead to Me" board, the 434-part series, last night's "Nailed" board, etc. "The 7th biggest threat facing America is that there are now 6 items on the Threat Down!"

It will be interesting to see if with time The Report adds more staff members. Right now, it's largely a one-man show, whereas The Daily Show heavily leans on its "Senior Correspondents".

das
Old 12-09-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Daily Show without a doubt. It's in its prime. The Colbert Report is still too new to have much of a foothold yet. I enjoy it and am eager to see how it develops, but it's not as good as TDS.

I am curious how TDS would have developed without 9/11, though. That was really the turning point for the show.
Old 12-09-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

TracerBullet

I am curious how TDS would have developed without 9/11, though. That was really the turning point for the show.
I disagree. I think the turning point was Indecision 2000. Mo Rocca, Vance DeGeneres, and Steve Carell ambushing politicians during the primaries was some of the funniest stuff the show has ever done. After that point, they found a new political direction that has been the hallmark of the show ever sense.

"Mr. McCain, Mr. McCain! Just who is the hottest pop singer to come out of Iceland in the early '90s?"

das
Old 12-09-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I disagree. I think the turning point was Indecision 2000. Mo Rocca, Vance DeGeneres, and Steve Carell ambushing politicians during the primaries was some of the funniest stuff the show has ever done. After that point, they found a new political direction that has been the hallmark of the show ever sense.

"Mr. McCain, Mr. McCain! Just who is the hottest pop singer to come out of Iceland in the early '90s?"

das
True, but they weren't being overtly political during Indecision 2000. I'll still maintain that Jon Stewart made a decision after 9/11 to take the show in the direction it's gone, whether or not they were leaning that way before then.
Old 12-09-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stewart has been displaying a smugness after 9/11. As if his emotional reaction gave him credibility. I am ultra-left myself and often roll my eyes at Stewarts self-righteousness.

On the other hand. The Colbert Report (to me) seems like the same joke in a different package each night.

I give the nod to The Daily Show, because the format allows it to suprise me more often.

Both shows can be funny and boths shows can suck.
Old 12-09-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it."
Old 12-09-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't pick one over the other. But I can say that the segment that most consistently makes me laugh is Colbert's "The Word."
Old 12-09-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love 'em both, but give the nod to TDS for consistently being funny over many years. (TCR is still a bit too young - will it be able to stay funny with such a limited format?)
Old 12-10-05, 03:53 AM
En vacance

Limited? The guy does reviews of movies sometimes, makes fun of history for cripe sakes along with the regular news pile. Stewart is heavily mired in political comedy for the past few years. Ironicly, Stewart is the O'Reilly here!
Old 12-10-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Colbert fans:

Stephen is scheduled to be the main guest on the Late Show with David Letterman next Wednesday.

WWP, Letterman's production company, is also trying very hard to find a new distributor for the movie based on the tv show, "Strangers With Candy", that Stephen co-wrote and co-stars in with the funniest woman in show business, Amy Sedaris.

TDS is still my favorite of the two, but the interview is usually the point of the show in which I find myself switching channels. I don't like the younger Corddry brother and they've added another two "correspondents" that aren't up to the standards of what they've had before. The one named Jason is good, but the other guy is terrible.

With Samantha Bee seriously preggers and not doing much and Stephen gone, they need to find some help for Ed and Rob.

Now if CC ever gives a show to Samantha Bee, THAT show will be my favorite.
Old 12-10-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a huge fan of Colbert on TDS, so I love TDS, its just more him.

The Daily Show has always slowed down for me in the taped pieces, unless they were exceptionally good. With Colbert out and Bee pregnant, they'be been relying on young Cordry, Bacchnal, and the guy to do taped pieces...and they're just not that good.
Old 12-10-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Colbert Report has better writing these days.

Daily has suffered a bit since Jon discovered his mission in life, the details of which are unclear to me but seem to have something to do with "The 24-Hour News Networks". On Thursday's show, the lead-in was about the early coverage of the Miami Airport shooting: "And here's how The 24-Hour News Networks covered it...", followed by a long barrage of clips from various newscasts citing a developing story with few details. And the studio audience goes "woo woo!" Other times, the lead-in is about some other important breaking story: "And here's how The 24-Hour News Networks covered it...", followed by a long barrage of clips of the runaway bride and pandas and runaway pandas. And the studio audience goes "woo woo!"

The taped pieces are usually weak. I agree that the new correspondents are lousy, except that I don't like Samantha Bee either. The interviews are hit-or-miss, mostly miss. A lot of times Jon is talking more than the guest. And I always cringe when a politician comes on.

The good stuff is usually in the first segment.

Oh well, I still watch every day.
Old 12-10-05, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dork
"And here's how The 24-Hour News Networks covered it...", followed by a long barrage of clips of the runaway bride and pandas and runaway pandas. And the studio audience goes"woo woo!"
The Daily Show inherited Arsenio Hall's audience.

Old 12-10-05, 05:16 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Jon's show has become less of a comedy and more of a news show, especially the interviews. The Colbert Report is just comedy gold.
Old 12-10-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Daily Show by far. Colbert was funny among others, but anchoring his own show...not so much. Spoofing someone like O'Reilly is pointless, as he is laughable to begin with.