51.52%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

The Office: UK/USA Showdown, Part I - Gareth vs. Dwight

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel

And, really, the only one who comes close to being as good as any of the originals is Jim.
I mostly agree, although the sweep the leg guy isn't so bad. Perhaps only because they don't give him a chance to go over the top.
Old 12-10-05, 03:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I've watched all of both. To clarify, I wasn't attempting to call anyone out but was just making an observation that the results could be skewed.

I enjoyed the first season of the US version but it was largely just using the same gags, etc. that were in the UK version. This season of the US show has been phenomenal and some of the best comedy I've ever seen on network television.
I agree 110%. I was a huge fan of the british one before it really hit over here and I thought the US one was going to be crap, until I actually watched it. This season has been fantastic and has been moving farther away from comparisons to the UK one. I'll take this second season of the office over anything.
Old 12-10-05, 03:31 PM

Gareth just overtook Dwight!
Old 12-10-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen about 5 or six episodes, and then clips here and there of the US version. I've been very hard on the US one, just doesn't compete. That said the only reason I can see people enjoy the US series more is because of Carell. He is very different from Gervais, and I could understand someone liking his style of humour more than Gervais'. The other characters aren't even close. Dwight I guess is okay, but Jim and Pam seem fairly boring.

I do think it is really hard to compare the shows at this point. UK version took all the characters throung journeys already and wrapped the show. They had a definitive plan executed. The US version is just taking it episode by episode, as a US series has to. But if you must compare, if you have to see all of the UK version, but not neccesarily all of the US version. Probably only the first season and the cream of the crop from the second.

I'm not following my own rules here, but my vote goes to Gareth.
Old 12-10-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Amel
And, really, the only one who comes close to being as good as any of the originals is Jim.
I might be one of the few who prefers Jim/Pam over Tim/Dawn. However, that'll be another thread.
Old 12-11-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Nefarious
I've watched all of both. To clarify, I wasn't attempting to call anyone out but was just making an observation that the results could be skewed.
So was I, because the results could be skewed either way - by U.S. series fans who've never seen the U.K. series, or by U.K. series fans who have an automatic knee-jerk hatred of the U.S. series.

(BTW, I've seen all eps of the U.K. series, including the Xmas special, and every ep of the U.S. except one - I missed the "Fire Drill" one due to a DVR screw-up.)
Old 12-11-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I might be one of the few who prefers Jim/Pam over Tim/Dawn. However, that'll be another thread.
Jim/Pam is nowhere near as emotional as the Tim/Dawn storyline, so it's easier to watch and enjoy. Tim was a much darker character than his US counterpart. The downside though to making Jim funnier is that when he and Pam do eventually hook up, it won't even come close to having the same effect as that scene when Tim and Dawn kissed.
Old 12-11-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All tied up at 60. I voted for Dwigt, so I hope he pulls through.
Old 12-11-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
I've seen about 5 or six episodes, and then clips here and there of the US version. I've been very hard on the US one, just doesn't compete. That said the only reason I can see people enjoy the US series more is because of Carell. He is very different from Gervais, and I could understand someone liking his style of humour more than Gervais'. The other characters aren't even close. Dwight I guess is okay, but Jim and Pam seem fairly boring.

I have seen every episode of both series and it seems like I am opposite of you. That being said i think Carell and Gervais aren't even close. I like Carell in the role but Gervais wins by a mile. I like the rest of the US cast as much as or more than their UK counterparts for the most part.
Old 12-11-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gareth being more realistic doesn't make him funnier to me. I voted Dwight.
Old 12-12-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dwigt goes back in front!
Old 12-12-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
Your opinion of "why some people enjoy the U.S. series more" is 180-degrees backwards. The general opinion is that Ricky Gervais is better than Steve Carell in their respective roles, but that the rest of the cast, for the most part, is a dead-heat between the U.S. and U.K. versions of those characters. (Some prefer the U.K. version of a particular character, some the U.S. version, almost equally down the line - this poll alone shows an example of that.)

(And you really need to see more of the U.S. series before slamming it. It started a bit slowly, but really has found its own legs as it has gone on. You might be surprised by just how great the show has developed.)

Last edited by dhmac; 12-12-05 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-12-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roto
Gareth being more realistic doesn't make him funnier to me. I voted Dwight.
Gareth was more realistic and therefore funnier to me. I voted Gareth.

The only parts I don't like about the US version is when Dwigt acts cartoony. It's the only time it feels like a sitcom.
Old 12-13-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now's your last chance...voting ends tonight.
Old 12-13-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
This just isn't a contest in my book. Dwight wins, and I cannot imagine a single UK cast member getting my vote over the US cast. I tried that version, but it just didn't work for me as well as the US version does.

Everything he said, but in reverse.
Old 12-14-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Part I goes to...Dwight, with an 85-80 victory over Gareth.
Old 12-14-05, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Part I goes to...Dwight, with an 85-80 victory over Gareth.
This baby is still running, my friend!
Old 12-14-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Two sisters...lesbians...I just watch."
Old 12-14-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dwight is way better, as is the US version (mostly because the cast if head and shoulders above the English version).
Old 12-14-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
If you hadn't been around so long, I'd swear you were trolling...

As it is, I can only guess you're talking about height, as the most of the US cast does appear to be taller.
Old 12-14-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He may be talking about the US cast's lack of dandruff? I never noticed any on the UK cast though...