Tivo: A few questions before I buy

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-03-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 40HR Tivo for my parents but had some questions first (I don't have a Tivo myself yet)

1. There is no phone line in the room the Tivo will go in, does this mean I need to install a phone jack in this room?

2. If I do need to install a phone jack in the room, does that mean that on top of the monthly Tivo charge, my parents will have to pay a monthly phone charge for that specific phone line?

3. Is Tivo easy to use? My parents aren't exactly the most Hi Tech poeple around. Will they be able to understand how to use it?

4. Does the TV have to be turned on to record the shows they want or can it be off?

5. Whil recording a show, can they be watching a different channel on that TV or does it HAVE to be on the channel they're recording?

I think that's all my questions. If I can get this to work out, I think it could be the perfect gift for them. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-05, 11:17 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
1. They will have to move the unit and plug it every once in awhile for updates. (Or just get a really long phone cord... that's what we did.)

2. No need for a 2nd line. I doesn't use it that often and you can set it to do it at night.

3. Yes. If my father could use it, anyone can.

4. No.

5. If you have a two tuner TiVo, the answer is yes. If its a single tuner, then they have to watch waht they are recording.
Old 12-03-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't suppose they have a cable modem or dsl do they? All new tivos can use a usb network adapter (wired or wireless) to connect directly to a LAN and bypass a phone altogether.

I just got a tivo and am using it on my video 1 input. That way, I have access to all of my channels on the tv if I just want to surf or I can flip over to the tivo if I want to watch something specific. My primary usage is for recording shows on a season pass ... I have little interest in the live tv features.
Old 12-03-05, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
5. If you have a two tuner TiVo, the answer is yes. If its a single tuner, then they have to watch waht they are recording.
The 40-hr TiVo will have one tuner. You can, however, split the signal. Send one signal to the TiVo and another directly to the TV. Then they will be able to watch a different show while TiVo is recording. The thing is, with TiVo, after a while you mostly stop watching live TV. I've had TiVo for 6 years... wouldn't be without it.
Old 12-03-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

tivo is great, very easy to use. You can record 2 things at once or watch one while recording, About the phone thing, i havent had it hooked up in over 400 days to my phone line, i know this because i get a thing pops up saying it has hooked up in 406 days.
Old 12-03-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maingon
tivo is great, very easy to use. You can record 2 things at once or watch one while recording, About the phone thing, i havent had it hooked up in over 400 days to my phone line, i know this because i get a thing pops up saying it has hooked up in 406 days.
Do you have a DirecTV Tivo? I know with the DirecTivos you can record two shows at once, and you get the programming updates via the satellite, but I did not think that was the case with the standalone Tivos.
Old 12-03-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
And your TiVo is updating as it should? You get the guide up to date?
You can hook it up to a phone line and do a forced call every couple of weeks. I think someone else suggested that as well.
Old 12-03-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Do you have a DirecTV Tivo? I know with the DirecTivos you can record two shows at once, and you get the programming updates via the satellite, but I did not think that was the case with the standalone Tivos.
You still need a landline to update the guide.
And if it hasn't already happened.. Directv is no longer selling TiVo's, they now have their own DVR's. They still support the DirectvTiVo's already out there.. but I don't think they're dealing w/ any new customers.. if not now.. then soon.
SA TiVo's are still available of course, they have no connection to Directv.
Old 12-04-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The DirecTivos only need to call in to get software updates. It gets the guide info from the satellite so you can go a long time without forcing a call, you'll just get a nag screen. They regularly only call in about once every 10 days, not every night like the standalones do.

You can still buy the DirecTivos at stores, but I think if you sign up with DirecTV they will send you thir own crappy DVR.

I know Weaknees still has DirecTivos. They are really cheap right now. I was thinking of buying a few to replace my other tuners.
Old 12-04-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See... you learn something new everyday.
I thought that in order for the guide to update.. it needs to make a call.

When Best Buy and Circuit City were offering 70 hr Directv Tivo's to new and existing customers for free, a few months back, I went and got one. It was too good too pass up.
Old 12-04-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Am really interested in getting a Tivo as well, I move out in January. Amazon has the 40hr for $30 after rebate.

Then there's the question of what kind of cable to get...it doesn't matter which kind for using a Tivo right?
Old 12-04-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Am really interested in getting a Tivo as well, I move out in January. Amazon has the 40hr for $30 after rebate.

Then there's the question of what kind of cable to get...it doesn't matter which kind for using a Tivo right?
It doesn't, but you may want to line that part up first because you may be able to get a DVR from your provider that does what you need it to far cheaper. For instance, TiVo is $12.95 a month and allows you to record one thing at a time (two TiVos are required to record two things -- 2 on the same account cost $20 a month). My cable company offers a DVR for $5 more than digital cable that allows me to record two things at once.
Old 12-04-05, 08:21 PM

the guide is up to date. Everything seems the same. Just dont have a phone jack in my room upstairs. Have a long phone cord but dont know where it is since we moved
Old 12-04-05, 09:06 PM
Retired

Another option, other than long phone cords or installing a new jack, is to just get the wireless phone jacks. That's what I did in the past. You can get them for around $30 or so if you catch them on sale, and then don't have to screw with hiding a long phone cord or installing a new jack etc.
Old 12-05-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all your responses. The only thing I'm confused about now is the remote. Is this remote only used for the tivo or does it become a universal remote? I mean, do I know use this tivo remote as my regualar tv remote (to replace my cable box remote)? If not, Do I just use it to program tivo stuff? The last thing my parents need is a nother remote to have to pick up and figure out everytime they need to program a show or watch a recording.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-05, 07:37 AM
Retired

It's a universal remote. You can set it up so the power will turn on your TV and receiver and have the volume adjust which ever of those with no switching remote modes.

It's damn handy.
Old 12-05-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good! Now, will I ever need to use my television remote to switch video inputs or do you not have to do that with tivo? Or what if they want to bring up the menu from the cable box? I'm assuming tivo has its own menu where you can choose to record your shows? You guys rule!
Old 12-05-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by firteen88
4. Does the TV have to be turned on to record the shows they want or can it be off?
Not to threadcrap or anything (sure, that's what they always say), but...

I think that anyone asking this question might be a little hesitant to get too high-tech. Has there been a recording device (besides maybe a tv/vcr combo unit) that required this?
Old 12-05-05, 11:59 AM
Retired

I believe the Tivo remote has a button to switch inputs on it as well, but I'm not 100% on that one off the top of my head.

And yes it has it's own menu to record shows and watch the ones that have been taped etc, as well as it's own on screen programming guide.
Old 12-05-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all your help guys
Old 12-06-05, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I believe the Tivo remote has a button to switch inputs on it as well, but I'm not 100% on that one off the top of my head.
I am 100% sure that it does. I use it all the time.
Old 12-06-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I ever use my "TV remote" for is to switch the screen size on my widescreen TV.

Other than that, the Tivo is my exclusive remote.