Reload this Page >

Cable rates are going up again

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-02-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nation's biggest cable companies are boosting their rates, citing rising costs for programming and investment in new services.

Comcast 6%

Time Warner 3.1%

Cablevision 2.3%

Cox Communications, said rates will go up in several markets in 2006.
Old 12-02-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the Comcast letter a few days ago. Fuckers. Goddamn monopoly. Please, Verizon, bring FIOS to Arlington soon!
Old 12-02-05, 02:20 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

time warner you suck.
Old 12-02-05, 02:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Premise

Comcast 6%

Maybe it's time to take another look at satellite!
Old 12-02-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I got the Comcast letter a few days ago. Fuckers. Goddamn monopoly. Please, Verizon, bring FIOS to Arlington soon!

same here.

I have an eastern exposure so I doubt I could get satelite.....although I really hate Comcast so maybe I'll look into it.
Old 12-02-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ditto on Comcast
Old 12-02-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Premise
The nation's biggest cable companies are boosting their rates, citing rising costs for programming and investment in new services.

Comcast 6%

Time Warner 3.1%

Cablevision 2.3%

Cox Communications, said rates will go up in several markets in 2006.
I know the answer to this, but Ill ask anyway. Why are we paying for their "investment" in new services? Fund your own damn investments!
Old 12-02-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

The least Comcast could do is add some much-needed channels...most notably, ESPN2HD and ESPNU, in time for college hoops season.
Old 12-02-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cox has almost doubled my number of HD channels since I got my HDTV without raising the cost, so...i figured it was coming.

My main complaint with Cox is no Stern Indemand. Wussupwitdat?
Old 12-02-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BassDude
Cox has almost doubled my number of HD channels since I got my HDTV without raising the cost, so...i figured it was coming.

The only HD channel Comcast added since January (when I got HD) is TNTHD. I don't recall them adding any other regular channels.
Old 12-02-05, 02:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

This news isn't very Comcastic at all!
Old 12-02-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

UPN was new as well sometime after the Fall TV seasons tarted. . After that, I haven't seen anything.

F U Comcast.
Old 12-02-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmm... I have Adelphia, but weren't they bought out by one of these?

I've already downgraded from digital cable because I really didn't see the point. Sure, there are some channels that I'd like, but most of 'em I'd watch once in a blue moon, and I hated that digital box and using IR blaster for my TIVO. Not to mention that most of the channels were "digital music" channels or something, which I still contend should not be counted as channels.
Old 12-02-05, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Expected this from TWC. Oh well...
Old 12-02-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how much u guys pay for the actual channels themselves, but my fees for the receiver box and havign to 'upgrade' to digital in order to get the same channels that I can get on basic are about $15 by themselves. I wish we could just pick our channels...
Old 12-02-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

raising the prices is good, it gives competition an incentive to enter the market. Maybe it will happen. Someday.
Old 12-02-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
raising the prices is good, it gives competition an incentive to enter the market. Maybe it will happen. Someday.

It's a little different than a traditional market though because local governments have so much control over the telecom industry.
Old 12-02-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cox better add some damn HD channels, none have been added except Universal HD. I need Fox, WB, UPN, TNT, and anyother HD channel they carry in other locations.
Old 12-02-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
Cox better add some damn HD channels, none have been added except Universal HD. I need Fox, WB, UPN, TNT, and anyother HD channel they carry in other locations.
OMG! Finally something Tulsa Cox has over OKC! We have Fox HD (though I don't have an HD set yet). We still don't have On Demand though. Once, last year, I called and asked when we could expect it. The CS girl told me to move to OKC. Nice.
Old 12-02-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taa455
I know the answer to this, but Ill ask anyway. Why are we paying for their "investment" in new services? Fund your own damn investments!
Because they can.
Check this out--if you have a land phone line, read the fine print and the details on the fees/taxes.
One of those taxes is a luxury tax that goes to fund the Spanish American War.
Another, "Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee"....That's a sweet deal. Politicians promise the peons [that's us] that they'd make the phone companies do things that are Good For You. And in the laws, that no one reads except the politicos and lawyers, they say "These things we're making you do, that the People 'want'? You can pass every cent of their cost *directly* to the consumer." Not even taking it out of profits or sticking it in the budget, just splitting up the total cost by the number of customers, and saying Here's your share.

I like how they rent you a box, and the remote, for a separate charge.
I haven't gotten a letter yet, but I think TWC has increased prices and played with their lineups at least once in the past six months.
Old 12-02-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The only HD channel Comcast added since January (when I got HD) is TNTHD. I don't recall them adding any other regular channels.
Cox still doesn't have ABC HD in my area yet, something about a lisencing dispute with the local networks parent company. It's really annoying to watch Lost on my 42" HDTV off a crappy cable feed.
Old 12-02-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
OMG! Finally something Tulsa Cox has over OKC! We have Fox HD (though I don't have an HD set yet). We still don't have On Demand though. Once, last year, I called and asked when we could expect it. The CS girl told me to move to OKC. Nice.

I know this and it pisses me off. It is all the local affiliate of Fox in OKC wants more money than the others are getting and rightly Cox is not giving it to them.
Old 12-02-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Cox still doesn't have ABC HD in my area yet, something about a lisencing dispute with the local networks parent company. It's really annoying to watch Lost on my 42" HDTV off a crappy cable feed.

We're actually pretty lucky with our Comcast HD in the DC. We get the following HDs:

ABC
NBC
CBS
FOX
WB
PBS
TNT
ESPN
INHD
INHD2
DISC
CSN (Comcast SportsNet)
And the Premium channels if you subscribe
Old 12-02-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
hmmm...still waiting for Comcast to give me TNTHD. And what's this CSN (Comcast SportsNet)? I don't have that either. I do have all the others Red DOg listed.

Slightly off topic, but I still occasionally see ads for VOOM. Is this still dead or has it returned?
Old 12-02-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
hmmm...still waiting for Comcast to give me TNTHD. And what's this CSN (Comcast SportsNet)? I don't have that either. I do have all the others Red DOg listed.

Slightly off topic, but I still occasionally see ads for VOOM. Is this still dead or has it returned?
voom.com indicates Voom is now on Dish Network. I can't verify because I'm one of the insanely lucky Comcast customers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.