Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV DVR question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DirecTV DVR question

Was talking with the DirecTV tech department tonight since I had gotten a postcard that said I would get free local channels for the next six months (starting 10/25, so the next five months), but I didn't see them anywhere. Turns out that my receiver can't get them. Plus, my receiver is pretty crappy, I literally have to unplug it two or three times a day.

Anyway, the lady offered me for free:
1. a directv dvr (subject to a $5.99 monthly fee)
2. a new dish (or two dishes, wasn't sure), with installation
3. up to five receivers with each receiver after the first costing $5/month

I'd be committed to twelve months of programming, but that's it, no money out of pocket other than normal monthly fees.

Anyway, I'll most likely be getting a new dish and one or two receivers but was wondering about the directv dvr. Is it worth $6 / month? And has anybody heard of Dish Network having similar offers for ex-customers? (I had Dish from '97 to '01, though in '97 I bought my equipment, never got free stuff through a promotion through Dish).
Old 11-27-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've found the DVR (that is the TiVo thingy, right?) to be a godsend. I almost can't stand being at someone else's home watching tv and not have access to it. If only for the sense of "rewind that" sort of situation.

If you watch tv on any sort of regular basis and have programs you enjoy watching, you get the "season pass" on the DVR, and you'll get every episode that pops up.

I've heard that Dish Network has something similar, have no idea how it is...I've never dealt with it.
Old 11-27-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
It would be the new non-TiVo DVR, but I'm sure it would be fine also.

One thing that I mentionined...

While they won't charge a second DVR fee for any other DVRs, you will still be charged the additional receiver fee.

But to answer the question, yes, it is definitely worth it.
Old 11-27-05, 06:28 AM
Retired

Yes, far and a way worth it. It's awesome being able to tape all your shows so easily, and then skip commercials and not worry about being home at a certain time.

And being able to pause and rewind live TV is a god send when the phone rings, or you want to see a kick ass sports play again.
Old 11-27-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My DirecTV HD Tivo DVR is the best electronic device I've added to my system since surround sound. It is a must have now that they are so reasonble price wise.

The fact that DirecTV is moving away from Tivo and making their own DVR units is what has me worried. The Tivo software itself is amazing and was head and shoulders above a Dish Network unit I tried a few years back. I have not tried one of DirecTV's new DVRs but I will unfortunately have to once they offer High Definition locals in my area since my HD Tivo can't process the new mpeg-4 technology. I have a feeling that nothing will be able to offer equivalent features to Tivo software but I have my fingers crossed.

Anyway, in answer to your question.......DO IT!
Old 11-27-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 356 Likes on 230 Posts
I'm running to go check my bill since I thought the DVR service was $4.99 per month. Either way, it's definately worth it. Both my receivers are directivos.
Old 11-27-05, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They recently upped the DVR rate to $5.99 from $4.99. I think it stayed at $4.99 for those who already had it at that price. (which is still obviously quite cheap compared to the standalone Tivo rate of something like $12/month)

This is a no-brainer deal. Go for it. You might even get lucky and get a Tivo unit, last I was at Best Buy (2 weeks ago) they still had the DirecTivos, not the newer DirecTV branded one.
Old 11-27-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great, I just ordered a DVR and HD DVR from DirecTV last week. Installation is tomorrow. I didn't realize they were starting to do their own recorders.
Old 11-27-05, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardW
Great, I just ordered a DVR and HD DVR from DirecTV last week. Installation is tomorrow. I didn't realize they were starting to do their own recorders.
Don't worry about it. From what I've heard, the Tivo-based unit is better anyways, so at least for now you'll be better off. I've also heard that they will do free replacements for HD-DVRs if you have the HD-Tivo.
Old 11-27-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, the TiVo unit is what I want. I used to have TiVo in Houston. I have a cable DVR here in Oklahoma and it's functionality is crap. You can only set shows for a set day and time. Any change and you don't get it recorded. I really want my TiVo functionality back.
Old 11-27-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
yeah, if you've got the Tivo stuff, stay w/ that. All reviews say the Tivo interface is far and away better than what DTV is offering.
Old 11-27-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll pick up the DVR, for a year at least.

Another couple of questions: Right now I have one receiver tied to three TVs, and a roof-top antenna for my locals (all come in very clearly). So whatever station the satellite receiver is on is being sent to all three TVs, but any one of the three TVs can also be changed to the locals since it's a different signal source. Question 1: If I get the DVR but only one receiver (or is the DVR and the receiver the same thing?), can I record one show while watching another? Or would I need two receivers to do that?

Second question: The technical lady I spoke with last night mentioned that they would replace my satellite dish (which is oval, pointing at two satellites) and would put up two dishes. Is the third satellite for locals only? That is, after a year I'd probably go back to using my antenna exclusively for locals, if I take down the second dish would I still get everything but locals?

As a summary, this is what I'm thinking about doing: Getting one new receiver, the DVR, and new satellite dishes. I'll pay $6 more per month for the DVR and $5/month for the locals (after 5 months, since I have free locals for the next five months).

Edit: From Directv's site:
Digitally record up to 70 hours* of your favorite programming, record two shows at once**, pause and rewind live TV and much more - it's all as simple as the touch of a button on your remote control.

**For full functionality, DVR requires connection of two (2) satellite inputs from a dual LNB DIRECTV System antenna, and connection to a land-based phone line.
"dual LNB directv system antenna", what does that mean?

And tasha99, the price is now $5.99 though since you have Directivo it might still be $4.99 (or they might be keeping the price lower for existing customers).

Last edited by Heat; 11-27-05 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Heat - do you have an HDTV?

The multiple receiver question: The DVR and receiver are one. It will probably be slightly larger than your current receiver. I'm not sure exactly how connecting it to multiple TVs would work, but I don't think you could watch different channels on different TVs.

One of the main features of the DVR is that you can indeed watch one channel while recording on another (you can also watch the channel being recorded, record 2 shows at once on separate channels, and watch a previously recorded show while recording 2 others). Basically there are 2 inputs from the dish to the back of the DVR bringing 2 signals.

If you already had the wiring (or if it would be easy to run another cable from the dish to one or both of the other TVs) and an extra $5 per receiver/per month wouldn't be much trouble, I'd definitely suggest going that route, especially if you have a wife/kids that like watching something different.

About the dish: I've never heard of using 2 dishes. Basically there are 2 types of dishes (a 3rd on the way, but that's for another discussion), a circular and an oval dish. In many locations, the oval dish with a triple LNB (to receive from 3 different satellites) is required to get your locals and some odd stations (NASA for one).

Take anything a DTV rep tells you with a grain of salt - they often aren't sure what they're talking about. I think you'd probably just get a triple LNB with an oval dish. At any rate, the person who brings it (and if they're installing it) would know, so I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it's free.

If you really like the DVR (which you no doubt will), I think you can get another for free after a $100 rebate...at least I think that deal is still going.

Last edited by aktick; 11-27-05 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info, I think that pretty much answers my questions.

Originally Posted by aktick
Heat - do you have an HDTV?...
No, I don't.
Old 11-27-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From this page:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagin...d_Receiver.jsp

it looks like the a second dish is required for the DVR? If you have Directv DVR, do you have a second dish?

As for why they are offering me this system, I think it's because I have Directv Para Todos but have an old system.
Multi-Satellite Systems for DIRECTV PARA TODOS® Programming

To enjoy DIRECTV PARA TODOS® programming, you must own a Multi-Satellite DIRECTV System, which offers bilingual on-screen menus and a bilingual owner's manual. Also, when you purchase a receiver, double check that the box mentions DIRECTV PARA TODOS® service.
Old 11-28-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
From this page:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagin...d_Receiver.jsp

it looks like the a second dish is required for the DVR? If you have Directv DVR, do you have a second dish?
Multi-satellite is not multi-dish. The triple LNB dish receives from three satellites at the same time.

Old 11-28-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoah, looks like DirecTV has been messing around heavily with the Spanish / English language package lineups / prices.

I have Opción Extra Especial which they don’t offer anymore. Costs $33.99.

The closest package now is Selección Mas which costs $39.99 and doesn’t have these channels which I currently get and watch:

AMC
Comedy Central
Court TV
E!
FX
HGTV
IFC
National Geographic Channel
Noggin
Sci Fi Channel

To get those, I’d have to subscribe to Selección Ultra at $49.99 / month. So if I get the new system I’m pretty sure I’d have to move to a package that they currently offer and the one I’d want is the $49.99. Add $6 for DVR, and I’m looking at my bill increasing by over $20 / month. I’m not doing it. And if they cancel the package I’m on (stop grandfathering me in) I’ll just go back to Dish Network, they have one I could live with for $35.

Last edited by Heat; 11-28-05 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my DirecTV installed. The HD DVR has TiVo (thank God). The regular DVR is the DirecTV Plus version. So far, it's crap.

I started setting Series Links (Season Passes) for shows, but it's catching reruns and/or not catching new shows. I've set every show to First Run Only and none of them overlap. The installer said these units were brand new, so I'm wondering how much testing DirecTV did. I'm very unimpressed so far and I'm tempted to get a TiVo-enabled DirecTV DVR from Best Buy and throw this DVR on eBay.
Old 12-01-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to get a little off topic and I may be wrong in thinking this but I think Tivo's contract with DirectTv doesn't end until 2007. So i'm not sure if that means you can still get the Tivo DVR from them another year or not.
Old 12-01-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am getting the Directv HD Tivo for Christmas. But I dont have the 3 LNBs. Is this a problem? I do have an oval dish. And will I be able to get local HD channels?
Old 12-01-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I am getting the Directv HD Tivo for Christmas. But I dont have the 3 LNBs. Is this a problem? I do have an oval dish. And will I be able to get local HD channels?
With an antenna. There are no HD local channels over the satellite, except for the national feed.
Old 12-01-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
With an antenna. There are no HD local channels over the satellite, except for the national feed.
Oh, that sucks. Whats the national feed? Does this mean Im not going to be able to watch shows like Lost or House in HD? I dont have an antenna. If so, I might just dump Directv all together.
Old 12-01-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Oh, that sucks. Whats the national feed? Does this mean Im not going to be able to watch shows like Lost or House in HD? I dont have an antenna. If so, I might just dump Directv all together.
Depending on how far you live from the broadcast towers in your area, you might be able to get all local channels perfectly with just a small set top antenna, like the Silver Sensor. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org and see how far you are from the towers.

Also, you're in the Boston market, right? If so, you'll be one of the first markets that will get HD channels over the air via MPEG-4 and the new satellites. There isn't a DVR for that yet, though, and the HDTivo will have to be swapped out.
Old 12-01-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Depending on how far you live from the broadcast towers in your area, you might be able to get all local channels perfectly with just a small set top antenna, like the Silver Sensor. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org and see how far you are from the towers.

Also, you're in the Boston market, right? If so, you'll be one of the first markets that will get HD channels over the air via MPEG-4 and the new satellites. There isn't a DVR for that yet, though, and the HDTivo will have to be swapped out.
Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-01-05, 03:26 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
chris a small antenna the zenith silver surfer should pick up your local channels for you.
You can also apply for waivers from The networks, and if you get them approved then you can get the national nets from NY for abc cbs fox and nbc

I'm in sf and got approved for cbs and abc, and am now reapplying for them for nbc and fox.