Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is Better: Voyager or Enterprise?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Voyager or Enterprise?
I Prefer Voyager
42.72%
I Prefer Enterprise
23.30%
I Despise Both Shows; Rick Berman Should Burn in Hell!
24.27%
I Like Them Both
9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-05, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which do you think is the better Star Trek series, Voyager or Enterprise? Now I know both series were both widely maligned by many Trek fans during their respective runs, but despite this I enjoyed both shows and see them as solidly entertaining and highly underrated.

However I slightly prefer Voyager over Enterprise, even though the writing for Enterprise was in some ways superior in comparison to Voyager's writing. I believe Voyager was the better show in that many of it's characters were much stronger than most of the character's found on Enterprise and it had a more solid premise, despite screwing this premise up before it's first season was out. However Voyager had many individual episodes that were just as good as any top episode found in TNG and DS9, although the last two seasons of Enterprise were more coherently written and more consistent than a typical season of Voyager. Anyway this is how I break up the seasons of both shows in terms of overall quality:

Best Seasons:

Voyager: Seasons 1, 4 & 5

Enterprise: Seasons 3 & 4

Average Seasons:

Voyager: Seasons 2, 6 & 7

Enterprise: Season 1

Worst Seasons:

Voyager: Season 3

Enterprise: Season 2
Old 11-05-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
if Ent. had been given a chance to go 7 years, and if it had continued to improve like it did the last season it would have easily surpassed Voy.
Old 11-05-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted Voyager. It was a terribly inconsistent show, but it had enough good episodes to somewhat redeem it. I can't think of any Enterprise episodes that I'd even watch a second time.
Old 11-05-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like either.
Old 11-05-05, 12:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

That's like asking which is better, a poke in the eye or a kick in the gut. Both pretty painful. But I'd have to go with Voyager... I hardly remember a single Enterprise episode.

Last edited by THX7966; 11-06-05 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Voyager, I guess, as I seem to recall enjoying more episodes from them than Enterprise.
Old 11-05-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate to say it, but probably Voyager. Had the Enterprise finale not sucked so much ass, I could point to the disgusting "Endgame" as a tie-breaker, but since "These are the Voyages ..." was also a steaming pile of shit, I have to lean to the early episodes of Voyager and the promise they showed. Also, while the scripts were often insulting, the acting on Voyager was typically stronger.

das
Old 11-05-05, 01:44 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ENTERPRISE was miles better than VOYAGER; VOYAGER suffered from questionable casting and a predilection for the threat to the ship of the week stories, with very little of the old Roddenberry philosophy and reflection of the human condition to be found in comparison with every other TREK, ENTERPRISE included. As a die-hard Trekker who's put up with more than many fans have been willing to, VOYAGER was the closest I ever came to being bored with TREK...
Old 11-05-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
I despised them both. Voyager did have Robert Picardo as the hologram to its credit, but one actor/character does not a show make.
Old 11-05-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
I liked them both.
And, I liked Voyager more. 38DD, I mean 7 of 9, was enough for me.
Old 11-05-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked Voyager at first, then lost interest in it. Whereas I had no interest in Enterprise at first, but then started to like it towards the end. If I had to choose, I'd probably say Voyager though.
Old 11-05-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
if Ent. had been given a chance to go 7 years, and if it had continued to improve like it did the last season it would have easily surpassed Voy.
I'll agree with this.
Old 11-05-05, 04:50 PM

This is like being asked to choose between the salisbury steak and the breaded veal cutlet at the school cafeteria.
Old 11-05-05, 06:14 PM
Suspended

I'm only two thirds of the way through season 2 of ENT at this point, but so far it is leaps and bounds better than Voyager. No Amelia Earhart, no goddamned dinosaurs who built spaceships to escape Earth, and no evolving into giant salamanders. Oh, and the starship Enterprise isn't incapacitated by a piece of cheese like the USS Voyager was.
Old 11-05-05, 06:46 PM

Posted by lotsofdvds: I'm only two thirds of the way through season 2 of ENT at this point, but so far it is leaps and bounds better than Voyager. No Amelia Earhart, no goddamned dinosaurs who built spaceships to escape Earth, and no evolving into giant salamanders. Oh, and the starship Enterprise isn't incapacitated by a piece of cheese like the USS Voyager was.
"Take that cheese to sick bay!"

Yeah "Threshold" where some of the crew turn into salamanders is deservedly seen as a turkey, even the universally scorned Trek writer who penned that crap, Brannon Braga, thought it was a stinker.

The one dinosaurs in it was called "Distant Origin" and I actually thought it was a very good Trek episode if you can get past the somewhat silly premise.

Oh and your are in the Second Season, lotsofdvds, widely seen as Enterprise's "worst" season, so if you think Enterprise is great so far then your gonna be blown away by Seasons Three and Four, lotsofdvds.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 11-05-05 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Both are shows that I would break my longstanding tradition of wanting complete season sets for tv shows, instead opting for "best of" sets. Voyager had a few really bright spots, and the 4th season of ENT (minus the opening and closing eps) was really great. I truly hope Paramount has learned their lesson about how to run Trek, they had great concepts for both shows, but they just didn't understand what made Trek, Trek.
Old 11-05-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts
Neither show held my attention.
Old 11-05-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, Voyager was bad Star Trek, whereas Enterprise never seemed like Trek at all to me. As far as Trek shows are concerned, I'd take the bad one over the one which wasn't Trek to begin with.

To continue the food analogy, even bad pizza is still pretty good. I'd eat bad pizza like Little Caesar's over some crappy food I hate, like German food.
Old 11-05-05, 10:19 PM

Please add an "I'm ambivalent towards both" selection. If Voyager and Enterprise were both drowning people, first I'd get a good cup of coffee and then call someone to rescue them. They both had crummy shows and fairly decent shows, and to me there's no clear winner. Enterprise had some jaw-droppingly great eps, but Voyager had fewer seasons that didn't completely, utterly suck.

I'm discouraged about both of them not living up to their potential. On Voyager, Ron Moore got so discouraged about the ship being rebuilt every week that he had to go make his own show where people scrounge for materials to keep the ship going; Enterprise asked the good questions ("why do the Vulcans act so different?", etc.) far too late.

Oh, and when I read the initial post, my reaction was "I dunno - which is better, a poke in the eye or a kick to the crotch?", but THX7966 beat me to it, darn you.
Old 11-06-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last season of Enterprise was very very good, almost great. Never like the season 1-3, garbage. The first 3 seasons were not Star Trek, but the 4th started to feel like what the show should have been from the very beginning. If they would have started the 1st season like the 4th, we would still be watching the show on TV now. It is a shame that they had a great blueprint to make a show tons of ST fans would have loved, but they messed with the history and no one watched.

I enjoyed Voyager tons, seasons 1 and 2 were avg or below, but Season 3 and beyond had me watching every week. They whole crew seemed to grow together and stories were getting better every year. Loved the Borg and the last show.
Old 11-06-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts
The 4th season of Enterprise was very good, But that was pretty much a situation where they knew they weren't gonna get any new viewers, so they just started telling stories for the true Trek fans.

I voted Voyager because I am absolutely certain that I could go through a Voyager episode recap and pick out 30 episodes that stand alongside the best of any Trek, be it TOS, TNG, or DS9. I don't think there are 10 episodes of Enterprise about which I would make that claim.

Plus
Resistance is Futile, Indeed!!
Old 11-06-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Neither, last consistently good Trek was DS9.
Old 11-06-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'll agree with this.
I won't.
Though Enterprise got better it was still weak and relied too much on original ideas and prequeling them.
I'd say Voyager is the stronger of the too and that's a tough decision because they were both missed opportunities with sub par writing. Voyager's cast was much stronger too.
Old 11-07-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw season one of "Enterprise" and lost interest fast.

I liked seasons 1-3 of Voyager immensely (especially the time-travel to 1996 two-parter "Future's End"), but when season 4 came around, it became a dull chore to watch but stuck with it for the rest of it's run. I grew to hate the Borg real fast.

However, and this is stating the obvious BIG TIME- Tuning in to Voyager every week was made very easy thanks to Jerry Goldsmith's theme. Even though I've had it on CD for years, it always gave me chills to hear it every episode...so beautiful.
Old 11-07-05, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Plus
Resistance is Futile, Indeed!!
I never cared for the reason behind her addition- 'eye candy'....I'm not against Jeri Ryan, but that reason was pathetic to say the least.
She had nothing to do with it obviously- it was UPN. If they had put her in a Starfleet uniform like everyone else, that would have shown an effort to rise above that sort of thing, instead of that stupid leotard.

I just found the whole Borg thing very annoying, and boring. Seven Of Nine was a part of that, only because there was too much emphasis on her and the Borg children, Queen (both of them), and all that came with it.

To put it simply, I resisted till the bitter end.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.