DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Which is Better: Voyager or Enterprise? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/444085-better-voyager-enterprise.html)

devilshalo 11-09-05 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
And that's exactly why Beltran complained. He was a babysitter with a tattoo on his face and got no respect. At least a hinted romance between he and Janeway would have given him something to do. Mulgrew nixed that idea.

Even in the relationship he had in season one, they played him out to be Seska's bitch. Then you couldn't have him and B'lanna get together because it would be the same thing, Chakotay would be the bitch. Kes already had her problems with Paris and Neelix. Either way, Chakotay would end up as someone's bitch. Would have probably served the series better had he sided with the <strike>featherheads</strike> Kazons.

bboisvert 11-09-05 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Gee, all these grammar corrections and it seems to have killed the convo.

I ain't got no love for neither show.

riley_dude 11-09-05 06:31 PM

Could someone please correct his grammar please!!!! :)

milo bloom 11-09-05 06:57 PM

I think the overall problem comes for creating interesting characters, but not having the story to back them up. I can create all kinds of nifty Trek characters, but I can't make the stories work. (anyone wants some for some fanfic, let me know, no icky stuff)

Notice how the Reeves Stevens came swooping in with better stories, and all of sudden I enjoyed the characters more.

Cancer Man 11-10-05 08:47 AM

I don't know why the addition of Seven of Nine was seen as a real liability, since the character she replaced, Kes, was not that great anyway.

While I never really hated Kes, as a character she inspired nothing but extreme indifference and disinterest.

Jennifer Lien was a great actress, but I felt she was horribly underwritten and abused by the show's writers; her Kes character had a interesting premise (ie. a person that has a life span that is less than a decade) but I felt that premise was wasted and Kes just became the EMH's assistant.

riley_dude 11-10-05 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
I don't know why the addition of Seven of Nine was seen as a real liability, since the character she replaced, Kes, was not that great anyway.

While I never really hated Kes, as a character she inspired nothing but extreme indifference and disinterest.

Jennifer Lien was a great actress, but I felt she was horribly underwritten and abused by the show's writers; her Kes character had a interesting premise (ie. a person that has a life span that is less than a decade) but I felt that premise was wasted and Kes just became the EMH's assistant.

...Because they created her and, as other recent S.T cast members, she sounded better on paper than after fruition.

devilshalo 11-10-05 05:41 PM

Kes was just a catalyst for the problems between Neelix and Paris. She had a couple of decent shows but once they made her into that higher being -ohbfrank-

Count Dooku 11-10-05 06:17 PM

They didn't know what the hell they were doing with VOY.
It was supposed to be about how the two antagonistic crews struggled to work together in the desperate situation, and they abandoned that almost immediately.

riley_dude 11-11-05 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Kes was just a catalyst for the problems between Neelix and Paris. She had a couple of decent shows but once they made her into that higher being -ohbfrank-

Who can forgive them for writing her as a villian when she came back. Talk about a dumb move. But they made a lot of those.

Cancer Man 11-15-05 11:40 AM

Although Voyager did relatively badly on UPN, I heard it was somewhat more popular in other countries such as Britain, Europe and especially Australia. Also the fan demograph of Voyager was slightly different than other sci-fi and Trek series, since alot of Voyager fans were women although the Trek fanbase is dominated by adult/middle aged women anyway.