TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FX's "Over There" Cancelled

Old 11-01-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over There is over...

FX Withdraws from 'Over There'
(Tuesday, November 01 02:37 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) FX's war drama "Over There" won't be redeployed for a second season, becoming a casualty of the same thing that causes most shows to be cancelled -- declining ratings.
The cable network took the unusual step Tuesday (Nov. 1) of announcing it wouldn't pick up "Over There," about a squad of inexperienced soldiers in Iraq. Typically networks don't choose to draw attention to shows that are being cancelled.

In explaining the cancellation FX chief John Landgraf takes pains to note that the "beautifully produced, acted, written and directed" show was axed solely due to the realities of the TV business, not for any creative reasons.

"That decision was motivated entirely by 'Over There's' ratings performance and our belief that the numbers were reflective of what the show is about, rather than its quality or entertainment value," Landgraf says. "While are passionately committed to fostering great television, we are an advertiser-supported network, and the size of our audience is vital to our bottom line."
"Over There" averaged 2.1 million viewers over its 13-week run, well below the levels of its other drama series. "Rescue Me" drew 2.8 million viewers per week this summer, while "The Shield" and "Nip/Tuck" each bring in more than 3 million.

After starting strong with an audience of 4.1 million people for its premiere, "Over There" dipped in subsequent weeks. It took a further hit over its final four episodes, when it aired opposite new episodes of highly rated broadcast-network shows like "CSI: NY" and "Law & Order"; during those four weeks it averaged only 1.6 million viewers.

Chris Gerolmo and Steven Bochco created "Over There," which was the first TV series to dramatize a war that was still going on while it aired. Landgraf also has kind words for them and "their immensely talented and dedicated team of collaborators, whose artistry was reflected in each episode."
Old 11-01-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-01-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank god.
Old 11-01-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked Over There...but sadly I'm a sucker for anything war related..so I'd watch even the most horrible show having to do with war..but I still liked it ..ah well..
Old 11-01-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah that stinks... It turned out to be a pretty good show.
Old 11-01-05, 11:34 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked it, but I'm so happy that I never have to listen to the theme song ever again.

More importantly though, with them cancelling Over There, this is the perfect time for them to reconsider their cancellation of Starved. I don't know why I ended up liking that show so much, but everytime I watch one of the new mediocre shows this season, I just think about how much I'd rather be watching Starved.
Old 11-02-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
This is a shame. Although I didn't think the pilot was that great and I absolutely despised the theme song, it was able to really develop into a strong show. It definitely had a lot more stories that I could have told. I'm not shocked that it was cancelled; the handwriting was already on the wall.
Old 11-02-05, 04:52 AM

Thats too bad, but not all that suprising considering the subject matter.

The first two episodes were kind of weak but it really picked up after there. Most of the plotlines back home were a pretty over dramatic but didn't really take up too much time after the first few episodes.

Most of the acting in the sequences over in Iraq was pretty damn solid as were the battle scenes. I'm going to miss this show but again its not all that suprising it wasn't all that popular.

On another note, does anyone know what is going to happen with "its always sunny in Philadelphia"? I loved that show but missed whether it had been renewed.
Old 11-02-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After lying about why he cancelled NYPD Blue, I'm always glad to see Bochco fail.

NYPD 2069? Gone
Blind Justice? Gone
Over There? Gone

He's currently on a successful show (Commander in Chief), but he's not the reason it's popular. Here's hoping he finds a way to kill it also.
Old 11-02-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bateman
On another note, does anyone know what is going to happen with "its always sunny in Philadelphia"? I loved that show but missed whether it had been renewed.
"Sunny" was picked up (and "Starved" was dropped).

I liked some of the eps and a few of the cast members, but this really comes as no surprise - the show was inconsistent and mediocre at best. I have the last two eps recorded - and I have been procrastinating about when to watch them - now I won't at all.
Old 11-02-05, 07:45 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
Too bad, I really liked this show.
Old 11-02-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Not surprised.
Old 11-02-05, 08:53 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I knew it wasn't getting very good ratings, but still frustrated to hear about the cancellation. I enjoyed the show.
Old 11-02-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
This is a shame... I really got into the show.
Old 11-02-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I liked the show, but I was disapointed by the writing. I have read a ton of stories by soldiers and writers in Iraq, and the truth has been more interesting than most episodes of OT. Maybe someone will try this again with better writing and less home front bs.
Old 11-02-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's hope the movie Jarhead is received better. I guess a lot of people are really not in the mood for War during a real one?
Old 11-02-05, 01:04 PM

War? What war? What happened to "Mission Accomplished"?

Pfft.
Old 11-02-05, 01:41 PM

I just watched the final one last night. Sorry to see it go, but I'm not surprised.
Old 11-02-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks

In explaining the cancellation FX chief John Landgraf takes pains to note that the "beautifully produced, acted, written and directed" show was axed solely due to the realities of the TV business, not for any creative reasons.
Sounds like the exact line we will hear for Arrested Development at somepoint this season.
Old 11-02-05, 02:16 PM

Im glad its gone. I saw the first three eps and it was basically torture. Im a sucker for war shows/movies but this one was unbearable. ANNOYING stereotypical characters, bad acting, bad soundtrack. The ONLY reason I made it to ep 3 was to see "Bull" from Band of Brothers. He made the ep good. Its a shame the show wasnt about his character.

My old man whos a war buff was telling me he caught half of the finale a while back and couldnt even finish it, it was so bad. It was also his first time seeing the show.

And Jarhead looks just as bad. Anyone else just hate the part with Fox doing that lame "hur rah"?

Last edited by Ravenous; 11-02-05 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FX's "Over There" Cancelled

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/...ticle_1032.asp

When “Over There” premiered on FX in July, it was touted by many critics as a bold, unflinching look at the brutalities of war. It also made history as the first dramatic series to be based on a contemporaneous war.

But as it turns out, it was a bold, unflinching look at the brutalities of war that viewers could well do without. For all its realism and raw drama, “Over There” brought home a war that was already too close to home. Late yesterday afternoon FX canceled the show.

It comes as no surprise. The series had a promising debut, averaging more than 4 million total viewers, but steadily lost its following week to week, with last week's finale drawing just 1.35 million viewers, for a 67 percent decline from its premiere. Through 13 episodes, “Over There” averaged 2.12 million viewers.

“The program may have been too raw for viewers to be able to distance themselves from the tragedy of an on-going conflict,” says Bill Carroll, vice president and director of programming at Katz Television Group.

“Over There” brought the reality of the crisis in Iraq to living rooms around the country without the benefit of distance in time or place. Unlike “M*A*S*H,” which used a past conflict (Korean War) to address a more recent military action (Vietnam War), “Over There” dramatized a war that viewers already follow in the news every day.

“Was the show artistically successful in its portrayal? The answer is yes,” says Carroll. “But could or would the mass audience embrace that realism as entertainment? The answer it would seem, based on viewership, is likely no.”

The series concluded with an open-ended episode, leaving open the possibility of a return. But even before yesterday's decision, its future looked grim.

“Ratings are probably below the level of sustainability from our standpoint,” FX president John Landgraf told USA Today last week. Also, producer Steven Bochco left last month to helm ABC’s “Commander in Chief.”
Old 11-04-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That sucks. I thought the show had its ups and downs, but the finale was fantastic.
Old 11-04-05, 01:32 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
That sucks. I thought the show had its ups and downs, but the finale was fantastic.
I agree. And now we'll never know who shot the Leiutenant (or maybe we never would've). Superb acting all the way around and it sucks to see another good show go... (but at least Joey's still on)
Old 11-04-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Article

But as it turns out, it was a bold, unflinching look at the brutalities of war that viewers could well do without. For all its realism and raw drama, “Over There” brought home a war that was already too close to home.

The series had a promising debut, averaging more than 4 million total viewers, but steadily lost its following week to week, with last week's finale drawing just 1.35 million viewers, for a 67 percent decline from its premiere.

“The program may have been too raw for viewers to be able to distance themselves from the tragedy of an on-going conflict,” says Bill Carroll, vice president and director of programming at Katz Television Group.
That's one way to spin it, but I think most people watched the first few episodes and bailed based on the quality of writing and character development not the subject matter. In fact, I'd wager that many people stuck with it in spite of its flaws because they like war programming.

das
Old 11-04-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the first four shows or so, didn't see the point of continuing.

But out of curiosity... did Bo ever go back into combat (it was Bo with the artifical leg, right?)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.