Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Help with older PBS NOVA episode - Mount Everest disaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with older PBS NOVA episode - Mount Everest disaster

Hey guys, I was reminiscing with someone about what I consider the most fascinating episode of any show I've seen on TV - the only problem is, I can't seem to find any proof anywhere that the show ever aired.

I watched an episode of Nova (I think) in 1997 or so that involved the whole "Into Thin Air" storyline. It was essentially the documented footage of the Mount Everest disaster, as written in John Krakauer's book. I specifically remember interviews with the various people involved with the crew, an interview with the postman guy who was left for dead in the snow, very graphic shots of Scott Fisher's body in the snow, and a heartbreaking shot of one of the climbers freezing to death on the summit talking to his wife at base camp on a cellular phone.

I have searched online for information on the episode, and the only thing that came up was a later episode about people going to the summit and doing various physical and mental test in an oxygen-deprived atmosphere - not nearly as interesting... an then the Imax movie about Everest, which was definitely not the same thing I saw on PBS. The Nova website doesn't seem to mention anything about it, either.

The main questions I have are:

1. Did I just make this episode up in my mind, or did other people actually see it?
2. Is there any information about it online?
3. Is there any way to order / obtain a copy of this episode? I have tried to explain to people just how gripping it was, and would love to be able to show them what I am talking about.

If anyone else enjoyed the John Krakauer book, "Into Thin Air", the show I saw was the perfect compliment to the book. Spellbinding, enthralling, and absolutely heartbreaking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-05, 07:17 PM

I remember seeing this on tv not too long ago.
Your description of the Wife Saying goodbye
to her husband over the radio/phone is unforgettable.

I believe this was on the Discovery or
National Geographic Channel though.
Old 11-02-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
This is very familiar to me as well. I do watch Nova, but I can't recall if this was a Nova episode.

IIRC, some professional mountain climbers took some amateurs on an Everest expedition with disastrous results.
Old 11-02-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there was an Imax film on these events as well. I believe you can buy the DVD of it
Old 11-02-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having just read the book a month ago, I'd be very interested to see it, if anyone can figure out when/where/how it aired.

The IMAX doc was very good and had some great extras on it.