Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supernatural -- "Hook Man" -- 10/25/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the best new show this year, and I watch it whenever possible. This and LOST are the only 2 shows I follow.
Old 10-27-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Well no, I wasn't kidding about the hookman bit. Asied from IKWYDLS and Peter Pan I haven't.
Ya but I'm sure you have heard the story that played out in the ep of the girl who hears something, but then goes to sleep anyways.. only to wake up to a dead room mate and "I bet your glad you did not turn on the lights" on the wall next to her..

pretty much can plug in any old boogie man into that story line.. I'm also not really sure I have ever heard of a guy with a hook. Then again I too am in california and I think all our boogie man stories as kids just star your plain old run of the mill psycho.. hehe None of that fancy hooked handed blah blah stuff

As for the show, I find it sort of funny that a new show like Supernatural has a really good mix of horror + some humor in it.. Sort of like the old eps of Night Stalker do.. Only to then have a new modern version of Night Stalker get that mix totaly wrong, maybe even to the point of having next to no humor in the first place.. Oh they have LOTS of talk talk talk talk in some dark office but not much else. Sort of strange really, as if Supernatural is a better remake of Night Stalker theme wise then the real remake is, IMO of course.
Old 10-28-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadLamb
As for the show, I find it sort of funny that a new show like Supernatural has a really good mix of horror + some humor in it.. Sort of like the old eps of Night Stalker do.. Only to then have a new modern version of Night Stalker get that mix totaly wrong, maybe even to the point of having next to no humor in the first place.. Oh they have LOTS of talk talk talk talk in some dark office but not much else. Sort of strange really, as if Supernatural is a better remake of Night Stalker theme wise then the real remake is, IMO of course.

I agree.
Old 10-28-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hongkongdvd
They explained in one of the earlier episodes that they apply for credit cards under false names and use the cards until the credit card company catches on.
Okay - I remember Dean saying that when he had a home base to return to in the beginning. However, they now seem to be on an extended road-trip with no mailing address. How can this method of credit card scamming continue to work? I mean they'd need 4-6 weeks after applying to get a new card, no?
Old 10-28-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
This was the first episode I've watched of the show, and it was fairly good. I'd add it to my DVR, but its Tuesday timeslot is terrible because there are already (IMO) better shows on at the same time: My Name Is Earl + The Office. Also on at this time is Commander in Chief (which I don't watch but may start because everyone at work does). WB does repeat it on Sundays, but that timeslot has Family Guy + American Dad as well as Desperate Housewives in it.

So until WB puts Supernatural on in a different timeslot, I'll miss it until these other shows are showing reruns or being preempted.
Old 10-28-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
So until WB puts Supernatural on in a different timeslot, I'll miss it until these other shows are showing reruns or being preempted.
Every episode is re-aired the following Sunday.
Old 10-28-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Every episode is re-aired the following Sunday.
Apparently, his affiliate runs it against other shows on Sunday:

Originally Posted by dhmac
WB does repeat it on Sundays, but that timeslot has Family Guy + American Dad as well as Desperate Housewives in it.
Mine repeats at 4:00
Old 10-28-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
Apparently, his affiliate runs it against other shows on Sunday:

Mine repeats at 4:00
Oh - mine too. Didn't realize it re-ran in the primetime slots elsewhere. Lame.
Old 11-04-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Lorenzol you get bonus points for posting this every week even thought nobody watches it.

This show is fucking awesome. I'll be watching....nuff said, oh and plus it got Xander's seal of approval and that's enough for me

I've only missed one episode so far and that was beyond my control, I don't understand why people aren't tuning in, the show is fun. They can do urban legends for years hell a couple weeks ago a buddy and me were talking about it and started naming all the urban legends we could think of "The Hook" was on the list
You're too kind.

Didn't get to watch this until last night. Cool ep! Still loving this show.

Daniel-A - can't BELIEVE you have never heard of the hook man. The guy hanging over the car, and the "aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light" urban legends are like two of the most famous ones I know, especially in the college environment. I liked how they addressed both. Still a great soundtrack, and they are still at least mentioning their dad in every ep, even though I am liking the monster of the week format, for now.

Yeah, I'm still tuning in. Haven't missed an ep yet. Haven't not liked one either, for that matter.

I try not to think about how they're getting the funds to travel around the country.
Old 11-04-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the show and record every episode and watch it later without commercials.
Old 11-04-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
I try not to think about how they're getting the funds to travel around the country.
They addressed that in the first episode -- through credit card scams. Not the most solid of plot devices, but they at least thought to mention it.
Old 11-07-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
They addressed that in the first episode -- through credit card scams. Not the most solid of plot devices, but they at least thought to mention it.
Right, but as someone above pointed out, now that they are traveling the country, not living in the same place long enough to set up a mail box, unless they got a LOT of credit cards set up before they left, they should be hurting for money by now. Anyway, I don't really think about it during the show, so it's not enough to really bug me. Just a little nitpick.
Old 03-30-06, 08:54 AM
Banned

I had also never really heard this particular urban legend. Went to college in the midwest. Now that I think about it, we never really paid much attention to ANY urban legends except of course the black market kidney scam.

Anyway, I get why the hookman went after her date and her dad, but the roommate didn't make sense. She wasn't really being immoral. Also, when she got back to her house the night the roommate was killed, weren't they supposed to be taking tequila shots and watching movies?