Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Smallville -- "Aqua" -- 10/20/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Aqua" -- 10/20/05

Old 10-21-05, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me, or is it now that Chloe knows Clark's secret he needs her to tell him what to do a lot of the time now?

Like when Lois was underwater for an abnormally long period of time during Aqua's opening, Chloe had to tell Clark "Go!" before he went in to try and save her.
Old 10-21-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
And the timing of this ep seemd off, too. I know they are in Kansas - where, truthfully, I've never been - but since I have lived in the mid-west, I gotta know, who still goes swimming in a lake in Sep/Oct? I know they are off a bit from real time in the show, but since school/college had started up, it had to be at least Sep. in the episode.
I go to Kansas State University and have lived in Kansas most of my life (unfortunately) and our school starts in mid-August. It's still hot as hell during the first couple of months or so. It didn't really start cooling down until the beginning of October. Since it seemed like the first week of school with Clark going to his first class, I would say it's definitely possible for kids to be going to the lake afterward.

I didn't think the actor who played aquaman was that bad, but the overuse of "bro" was annoying. I don't know how you guys were so concerned with his teeth when I couldn't see past his eyes. It looked like he was always squinting.

I thought it was a pretty good episode overall.
Old 10-21-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even AC's eyes were squinting from his teeth's whiteness.
Old 10-21-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
This episode was a lot of fun.

Now, AC was "cut", he had almost comic book proportions. Clark is still just lean, but not overly muscular like AC.
Can we get a screenshot comparison of Clark and AC since everyone is asking for ones of Lois?

So when do we get a Aquaman/ Flash episode?

Maybe i'm not paying enough attention, did Lex give Clark a key or something? Clark walks in on him a hell of a lot for two people who hate each other.
You have heard the rumors about these two right?

Last edited by riley_dude; 10-21-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 12:43 PM

Can we get a screenshot comparison of Clark and AC since everyone is asking for ones of Lois?
There's some here: http://www.erica-durance.org/gallery...lbum=70&page=1

Kent, A.C. and of course, Lois
Old 10-21-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Insert tab a into...what's this? Two tabs?!

Last edited by Daniel-A; 10-21-05 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People have been reading things into their dialogue for years.
Old 10-21-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice pix. If only they were HD/HighRes but a great start.

I'm sure there are clips of the scenes floating the net by now.
Old 10-21-05, 01:23 PM

I haven't. Can you elaborate?
Old 10-21-05, 01:32 PM
Suspended

BTW, was it just me or have there been MORE commercial breaks this season? I feel that there is more and I don't like it one bit.
Old 10-21-05, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
BTW, was it just me or have there been MORE commercial breaks this season? I feel that there is more and I don't like it one bit.
Maybe it's a ploy from WB to get people to buy more of the DVDs, in order to avoid the excess of commercial breaks
Or maybe the writers this season are getting lazy and can't come up with enough script pages to fill the standard one hour (including commercials) time slot, so they have to pad it

Last edited by Toben; 10-21-05 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not counting the scrolling type of end credits, last night's episode was just over 40 minutes (including the opening credits "Save Me" montage).
Old 10-21-05, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure what the standard runtime of a one-hour television show, minus commercials is. Something like 44-45 mins I think (since a half our show is about 22 minutes without commercials). I guess that means that this episode was about 4-5 minutes short of the standard runtime?

EDIT: oh, wait a minute, not counting the closing credits. Maybe I'm wrong then. But then again I don't think the closing credits last as long as 4 minutes anyway, so maybe I'm only half wrong.

Last edited by Toben; 10-21-05 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toben
I haven't. Can you elaborate?
I guess there is a lot of suggestive dialogue like Clark asking Lex to go away with him to Metropolis, I believe, in the season 3 ender.

There's tons of stuff on the net but here's one I found at:
http://www.atpobtvs.com/existentials...jul03_p22.html

The penetrative subtext of the domestic space recurs in that mecca of queerness, Smallville. From the outset, Clark goes repeatedly and without explicit invitation to Lex's home, a fact that Lex never challenges but instead seems to accept and even welcome, despite his insistence on protocol with others. Before I explore this, however, consider the gesture in the Smallville pilot that provokes Clark's penetration of Lex's domestic space (and, yes, I liked writing that--whoo!), which seems borrowed from Blair Sandburg's Guide to Queer Courtship Rituals: Lex sends an extravagant gift, complete with a note addressed to Dear Clark, to thank his pretty boy for the rescue, a gesture sufficiently provocative that it sends Clark's dad into the paternal version of homosexual panic, insisting that the refusal and how the feelings it generates are normal, and by implication that Lex and his flashy gift are not.

Here's another from: http://gayles.tig-tv.com/

If asked to pick the gayest show on TV, most people would answer Will and Grace, or the ubiquitous Queer As Folk, or the high-brow Six Feet Under, or maybe, if they had the taste of a crack-addicted lemming, The Ellen Show. But we on the Smallville forum over at TelevisionWithoutPity.com contend that they'd all be dead wrong. We know it's actually the WB's new show about a teenage Superman and his dear friend, rhymes-with-Sex Luthor. That show is Smallville.

We rest assured in the knowledge that our favorite show is absolutely rife with homoerotic innuendo, looks, dialogue, plot contrivances, props, and scene angles-- especially between, but not limited to, Clark and Lex. The more people that join in the Smallville discussions over at TWoP, the more we realize that we are not, in fact crazy-- well, we may yet be, but not about this: there is some serious queerness going on this show. And the best part? Everybody that's posted about it... loves it. Like you would not believe. To date, the "Homoeroticism! Yay!" (or HoYay!) thread remains the most popular on the forum. Coincidence? We think not.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/04/13/re...e-and-win-100/

One thing that did peel my banana, however: the ep had a touch of season one’s profound homoerotic splendor. Any time Clark and Lex have one of their man-on-man scenes there is this unspoken electricity pouring off their sweaty selves. The lingering glances, the half spoken truths, the quick over-the-sweater action while they think no-one’s looking. Admittedly, they’ve toned it down from the earlier episodes, but it’s still there in the background of every shared scene. Sweet Statutory, that’s just wrong.

And that's just the writings. People have created tons of pics with them in compromising positions. Who knew??

As far more commerical breaks, I think that is a new trend and was discussed in Matt Rouches column today:

Question: I am a devoted fan of your column and love reading Ask Matt Mondays and Fridays. Two of my favorite shows, Lost and Desperate Housewives, are often the highlights of my TV week. However, I have to comment on the thousands of commercial breaks during these two shows. I don't mind commercials at all, at normal intervals. But with these two shows, they seem excessive, even if the breaks are actually shorter. What's that about? I am pretty sure that isn't the case with other ABC shows. Can you shed any light on this? — Cheryl

Matt Roush: Basically, all ABC dramas are now adopting this five-act format, with an additional (if at times shorter) ad break built into the script structure, including one very close to the climax. One of the primary reasons for this is to do away with the act break in between shows, in the hopes that more viewers will stay tuned to what follows. This is also why shows like Housewives, Lost and now Commander in Chief bleed a minute over into the next hour. All very annoying, but necessary reminders that TV is first and foremost a business, and once they've got us hooked, they'll milk it for all it's worth.

Last edited by riley_dude; 10-21-05 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 02:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Erica Durance smoking hot. much better body then i thought. I would like to see chloe in a bikini. I'm curious what type of body she has.
Old 10-21-05, 02:30 PM

Sorry...here's a better one

Last edited by charlie bucket; 10-21-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They both look smokin'
Old 10-21-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the "JLA line," but by far the best line of this episode was delivered by Michael Rosenbaum:

Aquaman: "Why are you doing this to me?" (or something like that)

Lex Luthor: "Well, number 1, you called me a tool."
Old 10-21-05, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
And the timing of this ep seemd off, too. I know they are in Kansas - where, truthfully, I've never been - but since I have lived in the mid-west, I gotta know, who still goes swimming in a lake in Sep/Oct? I know they are off a bit from real time in the show, but since school/college had started up, it had to be at least Sep. in the episode.
Timing off? How about U of Miami's top swimmer being in Smallville DURING swim season?
Old 10-21-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They both look smokin'
The right and the left.
Old 10-21-05, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by charlie bucket

Sorry...here's a better one
I'll have to go back and rewatch her scenes in House of the Dead on our on-demand movie channel
Old 10-21-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Nice pix. If only they were HD/HighRes but a great start. .
Hey if you're going to go for a rating stunt of hot chick in swimwear at least they really went for it.. heh.. Time to make Spring Break Shark Attack II!! Erica can play a woman who is looking for her sister, on spring break, with sharks.

As for the AC guy his teeth looked like a joke. Teeth work on actors is nothing new but as of late there has been this strange push to go to nuke level glow like someone just painting them with white out. Does not even look health really due to the over kill.

Much like say A Jolie or Jessica Alba's lips looks sexy, LF Boyle looking to trout mouth her self looks like crap.. etc etc.. over kill = bad.
Old 10-21-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DeadLamb
Old 10-21-05, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sabre
Erica Durance smoking hot. much better body then i thought.

I take it that you must have missed the season 4 episode where Lois was held hostage by that crazed woman? If not, her having a great body shouldn't been a surprise. That was the first time they showed her in something that me say "Wow." (I believe it was right after Clark saved her and pulled her off of the table).
Old 10-21-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
I take it that you must have missed the season 4 episode where Lois was held hostage by that crazed woman? If not, her having a great body shouldn't been a surprise. That was the first time they showed her in something that me say "Wow." (I believe it was right after Clark saved her and pulled her off of the table).
If onyl I could recall this. Know which episode it was?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.