Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Spin-off Series: TORCHWOOD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Best episode of Torchwood yet, imo. It hit a whole new level with this ep. Struck just the right balance... well-written, great acting from the Beth character, a little humor in the right places and I actually even liked Gwen in this episode. Hope this is an indicator of the rest of the season.

Episode 1 just didn't do it for me (even though I love the character of Spike and James Marsters is HOT).
Old 02-03-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am liking this season much more. The characters are not all standing around (and running) all broody for an hour and the team dynamic is much more evident.
Old 02-03-08, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
We learn a little more of this in "Captain Jack Harkness", but obiously not everything. We also learn more about this in
Spoiler:
S3 of Doctor Who when Jack guest stars. Side question - does anybody know when this happens? I don't think it's at the very end of S1 for Torchwood. Scenes don't sync up
I just watched Torchwood S1 on DVD and

Spoiler:
I'm not sure what you mean by "scenes don't sync up." It's pretty clear to me that the end of this episode leads directly into the DW S3 episode Utopia.

A question about Torchwood S1 (no S2 spoilers, please) -- how did the part from the rift machine wind up in Bilis's grandfather clock?
Old 02-03-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great start to the new season - I've enjoyed both episodes so far!
Old 02-04-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So BBC America is running these in edited form? I guess I'll delete the program from the DVR then, as I haven't watched any of the second season yet. They really have to have every possible second of commericals, don't they?

Guess I'll wait for the DVDs.
Old 02-11-08, 12:18 AM

BBCA has commercials, so yes it's edited for time, but so far the edits haven't been very noticiable if you haven't seen the UK cut. Most of the episodes are 48-50 minutes - so ~5-7 minutes cut. As stated by other posters below, if you have HDNEt, it's as aired in the UK with no commercials. But BBCA has actor/producer interview clips between the commercials which aren't on the DVDs or part of the declassifieds aired in the UK.

No opinions on episode 3? I really liked the creepiness of the "ghosts" appearing and disappearing (though Gwen freaking out with the first ghost was a bit OTT). Love 1918 Torchwood, they're so proper. But poor Tosh, she keeps falling in love with people she can't have. Tommy was another great guest actor. No complaints about the Ianto/Jack kiss screencapped to death on Livejournal. I liked how Owen tried to warn Tosh about falling in love with out of time people. I was a bit annoyed with the Owen and his blood injection solves the problem again. Hopefully they don't do this every other episode.
Old 02-11-08, 05:19 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok Episode 3 with the time rift was way way too similar to a recent Doctor Who episode but was good nevertheless

Episode 4 Meat was quite fun, who would want to eat Alien meat, lol
Old 02-11-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do they have to keep doing the doomed Love thing each week?
Old 02-11-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Because in the last episode love concurs all.
Old 02-14-08, 10:47 AM

It's a RTD thing, he's a obsessed with relationship stories and unrequited love. See Cassanova, Bob & Rose, Queer as Folk and Doctor Who for examples.

Episode 4 was actually pretty awesome aside from
Spoiler:
space whale that looked like a giant turd then something out of old DW episodes. The sound effects were good though.
The scenes with Rhys are gold. So happy they decided to keep the character/actor around. I hope BBCA doesn't cut any of the confrontation between Gwen/Rhys as it was just awesome. Even his scene with Jack was great. But the Gwen/Jack thing is still not working for me. The attempts at UST suck. No more mooney eyes!

5 & 6 are strong too (barely any Gwen/Jack). Won't spoil it yet, but Episode 6 was the best of the season so far (helps a lot to have a police drama writer to have a plot/motivation of the baddie that makes sense), so keep watching.
Old 02-14-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Because in the last episode love concurs all.
I do NOT concur! (I think you were looking for CONQUER. CONCUR means to agree.)

So far I'm enjoying it. The gay stuff between Ianto and Jack is getting a little odd in how it manifests itself. They obviously planted the seed for the seasonal arc with the first episode about the character John Hart mentions before jumping into the rift. I hope they get a little more deliberate with that than they were last season.
Old 02-14-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Really excited about having two eps this week, and for what ep 6 holds...
Old 02-14-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by adamblast
Really excited about having two eps this week, and for what ep 6 holds...
Wait ... episode 5 AND 6 are coming on this weekend? Nice!
Old 02-14-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Wait ... episode 5 AND 6 are coming on this weekend? Nice!
The details, I think, to be clear--

What's happened is that BBC3 digital has just started showing the series as well as its current run on BBC 1 or 2... Wednesday was the first night.

And what they're showing is a week *ahead* of where the original broadcasts were. Right after the "regular" BBC broadcast of ep5, BBC3 digital showed ep6, and its expected to continue that pattern.

So for this week only, people in the UK and people who watch thru p2p will be treated to 2 eps. How this impacts weekend viewing in whatever form or channel you're watching, I don't know.

Last edited by adamblast; 02-14-08 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 12:11 AM

2 really good episodes

Martha Jones is back , yay !
Old 02-20-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I just finished ep 4. It was much better than I thought it was going to be. I enjoyed the scenes with Ryes more than those with Gweyn. She really has never done much for me and when she's annoying, she's really annoying. Especially when she squeels!

Yes, the graphics were bad.

Why is Jack suddenly jonesing for her? It really feels out of place and very unJack like.

The scene where Jack was flirting with the office manager was funny.
Old 02-21-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by adamblast
How this impacts weekend viewing in whatever form or channel you're watching, I don't know.
They only showed episode 4 "Meat". So did Owen accidentally overdose the alien and kill it or did he accidentally poison it with something he meant to sedate it with? It wasn't clear. Not sure what is being "edited out" for time or content, but this seems to have been a little more butchered than the previous episodes. And why does Gwen RUN in and say she won't erase Ryes' memory then literally DASH right back out the door?

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Spoiler:
Martha Jones is back , yay !
Thanks for ruining that for those of us who can only watch it on BBC America. As I griped before, I expected this might happen from folks who'd already watched the entire season during its original broadcast, but obviously I was wrong.

Would it be too bitchy to ask that posts not spoil what hasn't been show on BBC America yet in this thread? I would like to discuss the season as it airs but not if I'm forced to navigate minefields of blatant spoilers. Thanks.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-21-08 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-21-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They only showed episode 4 "Meat". So did Owen accidentally overdose the alien and kill it or did he accidentally poison it with something he meant to sedate it with? It wasn't clear. Not sure what is being "edited out" for time or content, but this seems to have been a little more butchered than the previous episodes. And why does Gwen RUN in and say she won't erase Ryes' memory then literally DASH right back out the door?
What did Jack say to Gwen right before her 'drama queen' moment? Something about how leaving would affect him? I still call fake. =/
Old 02-21-08, 09:14 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Owen intentionally killed the alien when he decided it was so butchered it could not be healed. Jack's comment to Gwen was intentionally ambiguous. It could be read as romantic interest or, more likely, that she and the Torchwood team are his family. Given his temporal displacement, that would mean quite a lot.
Old 02-21-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would it be too bitchy to ask that posts not spoil what hasn't been show on BBC America yet in this thread? I would like to discuss the season as it airs but not if I'm forced to navigate minefields of blatant spoilers. Thanks.
Not too bitchy at all, and a good goal. I'd ask folks in your boat to be a bit understanding as well, since last year's Torchwood threads didn't have to deal with the issue of spoilers and we're all used to being able to talk about them openly after they're done--instead of two or three weeks later.

I'm watching ep7 tonight, and have been barely commenting at all about any of the stuff I'd really like to.
Old 02-21-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched "Adam".

I really enjoyed the parts with Adam, Ianto, Jack, and then Gwen/Ryes.

However, I feel like whenever they try and interject romance/innuendo into the mix with the core crew it feels absolutely out of place. Suddenly Tosh and Owen are in exact opposite roles and he is professing his love for her? Gwen reveals her true deep love for Jack that has all but never surfaced or been hinted at - successfully anyway?

The writers need to seriously get away from their delusion that these perfunctory office romances are hot and sexy and "make" the show.
Old 02-22-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only potential romance is between Jack and Reception guy.
Old 02-22-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
The only potential romance is between Jack and Reception guy.
I'm confused...are you stating what you think is fact, or your opinion that the couple you mentioned should be the only romance?
Old 02-22-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just confirmed-- Torchwood's show-runner for Seasons 1 & 2, Chris Chibnall, is jumping ship to work on Law & Order: London, a new British spin-off that's been ordered for 13 eps on ITV. Assuming there's a season three, there'll be a new executive producer.

Good news for us. Could be good or bad for Law & Order. He certainly did a better job with Life on Mars than he did with Torchwood, so maybe cop-drama is more his forte.

Last edited by adamblast; 02-22-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 01:26 AM

These Dead Owen episodes have been boring the crap outta me !

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.