Old 10-24-06, 08:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nice cameo from:
Spoiler:
The Doctor's hand!
Old 10-24-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet lord yes! I am burning DVDs of both episodes to take on my long flight to Hawaii tomorrow...thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-24-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the first episode, but not so much the second. And so far I would say it's a lot more Men in Black than CSI.

The was too much speechifying in the second episode, like the "show us how to be human" and "all this sex..." scenes. It was also amusing how the cop's extremely detailed profile resulted in: going the her boyfriend's house and her work place. Printing out all those childhood pictures really paid off. And she had to be prompted about the work place even though the perp worked in a damn sperm bank! Captain Jack sure didn't pick the brightest bulb in the bunch. Then again maybe he uses an unusual set of criteria, 2 episodes in and we already know that 3/5 of the Torchwood team are bisexual.
Old 10-25-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the second episode wasn't as good as the first one.
Old 10-25-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching both. Definitely liked the first episode a lot better, though the previews for the upcoming one look a little more interesting. Hopefully they've gotten their "alien body inhabitor" episode out of the way now and can move on. It doesn't quite have the heart of Who, but it's its own thing. Also it's obvious that we'll see the Doctor at some point. Overall not a bad start.
Old 10-25-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Where/when is this being broadcast in the U.S.?
Old 10-26-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that's been announced at all.
Old 10-30-06, 01:29 AM

"The Ghost Machine" 10-29-06

Spoiler:
Torchwood discovers a machine that allows them to view the ghosts that walk among us. Using it, prompts Owen to investigate an unsolved crime - one that could change all their futures.

I just finished watching this. I thought that it was much better than the first two episodes. The preview for next week looks very interesting.
Old 10-31-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This series is getting a "m'eh" vote from me so far. It's a good timewaster, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

It's a Dr. Who spinoff, I won't be giving up on it.
Old 11-06-06, 04:09 AM

"Cyberwoman" 11-05-06

Spoiler:
In the basement of the Torchwood building, Ianto Jones hides a terrible secret. As a Japanese doctor attempts to rescue the soul of a half-Cybernised woman, a quiet day in Torchwood quickly becomes a living nightmare. Has Ianto unleashed a force that will destroy his colleagues?
Old 11-06-06, 08:13 AM

Wow, this series has been going steadily downhill. Not impressed so far, but I'm keeping with it for the Doctor Who continuity.
Old 11-06-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Wow, this series has been going steadily downhill. Not impressed so far, but I'm keeping with it for the Doctor Who continuity.
How are you getting this?
Old 11-07-06, 01:36 PM

I like it. I don't think that it will appeal to the Doctor Who purists out there, but I think is a fun show, albeit dark and brooding. As to how all of us Americans are getting it, two words- Bit Torrent, but I don't want to get the board into trouble by discussing particulars.
Old 11-07-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I agree. This episode was just ridiculous. The horrible plot points are one thing, but to top it off they have to shoehorn in all this stuff about Jack and emotional crap. "Have you ever felt Love?", "You're the worst monster down here", which was such a good line they had to use it twice. The scene where he gave Jeeves "10 minutes" was atrocious.

Why were they able to pull off the suave, coolness of Captain Jack character in the DW series, but in Torchwood it doesn't come off nearly as good. I'm not sure if it's the dialog, the delivery or the direction, but it just doesn't jell. Maybe a large part of it is trying to give him 'angst' and making him a leader instead of the charming rogue.
Old 11-10-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was ok. Nothing exciting. The best part was finding out what Rose did to him.
Old 11-10-06, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
Why were they able to pull off the suave, coolness of Captain Jack character in the DW series, but in Torchwood it doesn't come off nearly as good. I'm not sure if it's the dialog, the delivery or the direction, but it just doesn't jell. Maybe a large part of it is trying to give him 'angst' and making him a leader instead of the charming rogue.
I just don't think John Barrowman has the gravitas to play a dark character like this.
Old 11-13-06, 01:49 AM

"Small Worlds" 11-12-06

Spoiler:
Jasmine is a withdrawn but intelligent child whose new 'friends' exploit her suppressed anger, and while investigating this, Jack encounters elemental enemies from his past that are determined to harm those closest to him.

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet. I will post my comments later today.
Old 11-13-06, 08:53 AM

Regarding Small Worlds:
Spoiler:
It had it's moments, and I enjoyed seeing some of Jack's backstory, but overall it didn't work for me.

First and foremost, I don't give a crap about fairies. I don't understand people's fascination with them, and I don't enjoy stories about them. I recognize that this is a personal prejudice, of course, but that doesn't stop me from not enjoying the episode.

Secondly, the eeeeevil step-dad. Come on! They didn't need to go that far with him. I was reminded of the evil dad from "The Idiot's Lantern".

Finally, I found Jack's dragged-out exposition forced. All in all, it only took him a couple minutes to tell what he knew. Why dish it out over time in a mysterious way?

Oh well.

Last edited by Groucho; 11-13-06 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-13-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't watch the preview for this week's episode, but from I read the forums at Outpost Gallifrey for last weeks episode and the comments there lead me to believe this episode would focus much more on Jack's past. For some reason I was expecting almost a flashback episode. Very disappointing in that regard.

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

Spoiler:
Groucho, IMO your fairy aversion didn't prejudice you against a good story. I have nothing against fairies and still found the story lacking. In fact I got a kick out of the use of the Cottingley photographs since I have an interest in photography and they are quite renowned in that field.

But that subject aside, the narrative they wove around the fairies was thin. First, we aren't given much information about them, even when jack spills the beans there's almost nothing there. Second, we don't know much about their motivations, other than protecting/getting the child. Why did they go after the old woman? Why did they do whatever they did to Gwen's apartment? And what was the deal with the rose pedals? Finally, they are unstoppable, so our heroes are completely helpless. It doesn't make for great drama.

Jack's stuff was interesting, but still a bit thin. Basically we found out he was a soldier in 1909. Since they've already established him as a time traveling immortal, that's not a big revelation. Touching bit at the end of that story "Oh, yeah, this merry band killed a little girl the day before". From the summary text printed above it sounds like the Fairies are after anyone close to Jack, but I didn't really get that from the flashback.

They kind of blew their wad with the old lady story line. It would have had a much better impact if they played the promiscuous flirt angle a while longer before showing that he has fallen in love. One thing that popped into my head while watching it was how they decided to go with a woman for his old flame, since Jack makes such a big deal out of going both ways. I kept thinking of how the scenes would have played with an old man. It could have worked, or it could have looked ridiculous, so I guess they played it safe.

Oh, and what was up with the score? On the up side it reminded me buy Hallmark cards for the season.

Last edited by wmansir; 11-13-06 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 07:45 PM

I had a chance to watch Small Worlds this afternoon, and I was not terribly impressed. In general I have been enjoying Torchwood, but I have yet to be blown away by any of the episodes. This show really needs a "Dalek" or "Girl in the Fireplace" level episode and so far it hasn't really come close. I am not giving up on the show, but I hope it improves before the end of the season.
Old 11-13-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's just because I've been burning thru episodes of 24 lately ( watched S4 last month and I'm 2/3 thru S5 now) but the last couple of episodes it seems they have been trying to make Captain Jack into a Bauer-type badass, and failing miserably.

Last week we had his 'heartless" response to jeeve's girlfriend situation and this week it was letting the girl go at the end. The problem is these weren't tough decisions at all. They were pretty clear cut. The only scene that came close was Jack forcing jeeves to kill his GF, but that was so illogical it just came off as stupid. To make them "Bauer" calls, how about there is a good chance the girlfriend can be 'saved', but Jack says the consequences of failure are too great take the chance or the little girl isn't a freak and actually wants to stay with her mommy, but the fairies will destroy the world if she doesn't come with them.

I know it's DW and all, but I keep hearing how this series is suppose to be darker and for adults. They seem to have no problem throwing in sex, cursing, and occasional gore, but I don't see the fundamentals of the stories being any more mature than regular DW, especially the new Who.
Old 11-22-06, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Countrycide" 11-19-06

Spoiler:
Upon entering an apparently deserted village in the Brecon Becons, the Torchwood team is separated. Finding his people are the prey in a savage game of cat and mouse Jack faces a team of ruthless hunters far more skilled in surviving outside the confines of the city than he.

It may be faint praise, but this is probably my favorite episode so far, although
Spoiler:

I liked it better the 1st (and 5th) time when it was called The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Are these guys suppose to be a crack squad or what? ...(edit) I was going to make a crack about how it's one thing for hicks to take out horny teens in tight shirts, but then I realized with the Gwen/Owen stuff and "when was your last snog" that these guys really do act more like a bunch of oversexed irresponsible teens than anything resembling professional adults.

Regarding the preview for next week's episode:
Spoiler:
It looks like we are down to one Torchwood team member who, as far as we know, isn't gay/bi. Now I'm beginning to understand why Jack was so upset when he found out jeeves had a secret girlfriend in the basement. He let a damn hetro on the team!

Last edited by wmansir; 11-22-06 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-03-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the Countrycide episode, seemed a bit like the movies "Dog Soldiers" or "Wicker Man".
The ending was weak though.
Spoiler:
The "It makes me happy" line was stupid, Harkness should have just shot the bastards and not been persuaded by Gwen she could "talk" to the leader. They're cannibals, FFS!

I havent seen Episode 7 in England yet (I taped it) - apparently there's
Spoiler:
some lesbian action for Tosh (the Japanese girl in the team), as far as we know, she isn't gay/bi
Old 12-03-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last week's episode was "Greeks Bearing Gifts" and I thought it was actually pretty good. I watched it several days ago so i don't specifically recall what I liked. This was Tosh's episode and she carried it pretty well, despite the fact that she was virtually ignored until "Countrycide". Despite the preview and the show's track record the sexual stuff really didn't overpower this episode.
Old 12-03-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Greeks Bearing Gifts", that's it

"Tosh" is a rather unfortunate nickname, no?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.