Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tv shows you once liked but dont hold up at all anymore?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-05, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are some tv shows that you once liked very much years ago, but now don't hold up at all for you anymore?

Here are some of mine:

Sanford and Son
Ren & Stimpy
Married with Children
The A-Team
Garfield & Friends
& more

These were all shows I liked alot at some point, but don't really hold up for me anymore.
Old 10-14-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Pretty much anything from the 80s except for Cheers.
Old 10-14-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
None, really. I love watching shows from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that I used to watch regularly.

Now there are some current shows that I have dropped at some point: ER, The Apprentice, Charmed, and Without a Trace.
Old 10-14-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AllHallowsEve

The A-Team
You suck.

I'll go with MacGyver. I still really enjoy '80s shows like The A-Team and Remington Steele that had a playful style to them, but MacGyver just doesn't hold up at all.

das
Old 10-14-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing really. I've always had excellent taste.
Old 10-14-05, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek: The Next Generation. I still find it a very solid and entertaining show, but it is the most overrated Star Trek series and it's early seasons are quite dated now, plus most of the cast were not that great on hindsight (which is why TNG movies were disappointing for the most part).

Also I didn't know what the fuss was about with the X-Files, sure it was a very popular and iconic show in the early to mid 90's, but all the big story archs led to a dead end in the long run, it "Jumped the Shark" with the feature film and the whole thing died a slow, agonising death a few years back in the early 2000's.
Old 10-14-05, 03:29 PM

D.p.
Old 10-14-05, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
None, really. I love watching shows from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that I used to watch regularly.

Now there are some current shows that I have dropped at some point: ER, The Apprentice, Charmed, and Without a Trace.
Well, I pretty much agree with that too.

I liked Charmed alot (and still have gotten the early DVD seasons), but ending up dropping it after awhile. It just rocketed down in enjoyment/overall quality IMO in later seasons. Plus it tended to get too family friendly & really stupid.

The Apprentice was fun the first season. I also watched it the second season. Now, I just don't have any more interest in watching it.

I stopped watching ER when the original cast started to leave. I havent seen an episode in years.

I have never seen Without a Trace, so I wont comment.
Old 10-14-05, 04:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Seinfeld....Saw all of the shows first run and then syndication so many times that when the DVD set came out, I bought the first 2 seasons and have yet to watch them. No desire right now. Maybe in a few years.
Old 10-14-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Star Trek TNG really comes across awful preachy these days. Some of the stories are very powerful, but the "average" episodes don't seem to hold up.

I caught the opening act of a MacGyver the other day, and it was pretty cheesey.

The wife and I have been watching Ren & Stimpy late nights on Nicktoons lately and I still think they're pretty funny.

I tried to watch Night Court the other day and it was pretty painful.
Old 10-14-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Battlestar Galactica (original) and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. I really enjoyed these when I was younger, but they now seem very cheesy, very much an idea of the future as viewed through disco lenses.
Old 10-14-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Greatest American Hero
Old 10-14-05, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
The Apprentice was fun the first season. I also watched it the second season. Now, I just don't have any more interest in watching it.
Same here. I've just recently rewatched the first season on DVD and I forgot how horrible the editing was! The overdubs from Trump are one thing, but they keep making stupid mistakes. Robin calls from Trump's office telling them where to meet, and Omarosa thanks someone named Ellen. WTF!? Well, that could just be Omarosa's stupid ass.

The worst part is during Trump's obviously editedforTV speeches, they keep showing each contestant nodding and smiling at times no person ever would.

I tried watching Fresh Prince reruns, but I can't.
Old 10-14-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
The one show that comes to mind is The Cosby Show I watched it every Thursday in the 80's but when I see reruns now it, it seems like one big "Black History Month" lesson. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it doesn't exactly hold up well as a sitcom.
Old 10-14-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Batman
Gilligan's Island
Get Smart
The Monkees
Welcome Back Kotter
Happy Days

I loved all of the above shows as a boy, now I can't sit through any of them.

Still like The Brady Bunch though.
Old 10-14-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Happy Days
Three's Company
6 Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman
Old 10-14-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The one show that comes to mind is The Cosby Show I watched it every Thursday in the 80's but when I see reruns now it, it seems like one big "Black History Month" lesson. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it doesn't exactly hold up well as a sitcom.
That is funny since when it was on it was criticized for being too white.
Old 10-14-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Baywatch
Old 10-14-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Happy Days
Three's Company
6 Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman
Along those lines I think alot of shows from the 70's were popular simply because it was before cable, video games, and VCR's. If people had more choices I don't think they would have wasted thirty minutes of their lives watching "Welcome Back Kotter" (for example) every week.
Old 10-14-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You people need to watch it. Two digs against Mr. Kotter?!? I don't remember the exact line-up, but I remember when Nick-at-Nite first got the syndication rights, and they did a big primetime marathon. There was "Ooooh, ooooh! Monday", "I Got a Note Tuesday", "What? Where? Wednesday", and "Hi There Thursday". I'm sorry, but I still love that show.

das
Old 10-14-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much all the old Hanna-Barbara cartoons. Jetsons, Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, I used to love that stuff as a kid. But now, after watching some episodes on Boomerang...ouch. Some of that stuff is just painful to watch. I'd hate to even think how some of their lesser shows like The Snorks and Yogi's ("We were on crack when we thought of this") Space Race held up.
Old 10-14-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most are shows I liked as a kid:

CHiPS
A-Team
Knight Rider

I actually still like a lot of the old sitcoms though, including Night Court, Cosby, etc.
Old 10-14-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the Airwolf Season 1 DVD and the scripts and acting were just atrociously bad. I still love the helicopter and I enjoy watching them for the nostalgia still.
Old 10-14-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mcgyver
Old 10-15-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no problem getting in my "younger" mindset for 70s/80s shows. Then have their own era feeling to them that I enjoy. You could say that about anything though. Fans are deluding themselves if they dont think 24 and such shows will not be same thing 20 years from now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.