Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any other shows that have the power of "Lost"?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't a Lost thread.. I just want to know if there are other shows like Lost.. Not plot wise but how after each week there are thousands of posts of people talking about each episode and trying to figure things out.

Has there been other shows that have had this power?
Old 09-30-05, 08:49 AM

Yeah...look in the archives for the West Wing, 24, Alias, the O.C., American Idol, The Apprentice, Survivor, Big Brother, etc. Just like Lost, most of these shows had their largest threads in the first few seasons. I know I'm missing other shows, but Lost is by no means unique.
Old 09-30-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Carnivale for me. There are whole communities dedictated to it. Even a fan-organized CarnyCon in LA next year. Creators and cast members would even join in weekly online chats after the new episodes aired.
Old 09-30-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
You mean a nerd/geek type following? No.
Old 09-30-05, 08:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
When X-Files was at it's peak, the internet babble and insanity was pretty high (to put it mildly).
Old 09-30-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Yeah...look in the archives for the West Wing, 24, Alias, the O.C., American Idol, The Apprentice, Survivor, Big Brother, etc. Just like Lost, most of these shows had their largest threads in the first few seasons. I know I'm missing other shows, but Lost is by no means unique.

Dude comeon.. I mean maybe I didn't post the question clear enough.. I'm not talking about hype like "this is the best show! I can't wait to watch next week to see how gets voted off!!. I'm talking shows that have mysteries and questions where you MUST TURN IN to see what happens next! To get your quesions answered, etc!
Old 09-30-05, 09:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Carnivale for me. There are whole communities dedictated to it. Even a fan-organized CarnyCon in LA next year. Creators and cast members would even join in weekly online chats after the new episodes aired.
Personally, that did it for me as well. I really dug the mythology/good vs. evil aspect of the show. On a grander scale, I don't think anything is at the same level of Lost right now.
Old 09-30-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
pinata, what exactly is Carnivale? I know you can send me a link to hbo or tv.com's site but in your words.. How would you describe it?
Old 09-30-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tbird2340
pinata, what exactly is Carnivale? I know you can send me a link to hbo or tv.com's site but in your words.. How would you describe it?
Wow, I really don't think I could do it justice. Like Geofferson said, basically a good vs. evil story set against a 1930's, dust-bowl era travelling carnival. Well, that's just the mechanism a young man uses to search for his father and come to learn about his powers. All the while in California a preacher begins to see himself as the right hand of God as he begins to develop powers of his own. It becomes clear over the course of the show that these two are destined to confront each other but neither has ever met the other.

See, I told you I can't describe it without ruining it.
Old 09-30-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Alias, around the time of the reboot and when Sydney woke up in the future.
Old 09-30-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts
Twin Peaks of course.
Old 09-30-05, 10:38 AM

Currently I don't think there is anything out there like Lost , although I don't watch everything so there might be.

X-Files is really the only thing that comes to mind as previous ones. Twin Peaks probably was too but I never watched it so can't really say but I know David Lynch stuff is messed up.
Old 09-30-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Understanding is a three-edged sword ..."

das
Old 09-30-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battlestar Galactica and The Shield for me. Also seasons 1 and 2 of Alias.
Old 09-30-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
As has been mentioned, The X-Files is the only show that really had this kind of overwhelming Internet following (not counting reality shows, that is, which are more like online guessing games on who wins a contest). Twin Peaks was pre-Web, so it was big on Usenet but didn't really come close to this level of an online following.

Of current shows, I think the new Battlestar Galactica comes the closest to LOST in the strength of its Internet following.
Old 09-30-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that last episode of Battlestar Galactica made me more excited for the next episode than Lost did.
Old 09-30-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Twin Peaks was certainly water-cooler converasation, but not many people were online in 1990.

The Prisoner was huge (especially in England), but that was back in the 60s.

Nowhere Man could have provided a lot of long threads...had anyone been watching!
Old 09-30-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
I'm not talking about hype like "this is the best show! I can't wait to watch next week to see how gets voted off!!. I'm talking shows that have mysteries and questions where you MUST TURN IN to see what happens next! To get your quesions answered, etc!
Twin Peaks
If the web had been around, interest surrounding Twin Peaks would have made Lost look run of the mill

Dallas
Probably not a lot of people around here old enough to remember that people were obsessed with the goings-on on this night time soap, and Dallas regularly had 25-30 million viewers each week, for five straight years. That's twice as many people who watch Lost.
Old 09-30-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
When X-Files was at it's peak, the internet babble and insanity was pretty high (to put it mildly).

And who can forget the X-files conventions?
Old 09-30-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that was too subtle, das. No one is including that in their posts yet (which amazes me -- that's the first thing I thought of...)
Old 09-30-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
And who can forget the X-files conventions?
Not me. I went to one.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Twin Peaks
If the web had been around, interest surrounding Twin Peaks would have made Lost look run of the mill
You are correct, sir!
Old 09-30-05, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I think that was too subtle, das. No one is including that in their posts yet (which amazes me -- that's the first thing I thought of...)
That is also the first thing I thought of. NO show, not even Lost had as many things clearly mapped out in the beginning.
Old 09-30-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Not too subtle for me. I just have nothing interesting to add. But I did just watch Into the Fire with our group here at work yesterday. It was especially fitting since one of the people who watches it every week is starting a new job on Monday. Nice that he gets to leave with that whole story line wrapped up.

The only reason the Lost threads seem to go on forever is because of 4 8 15 16 23 42. Oh, Sayid has 4 buttons on his shirt! The baby craddle has 16 slats on each side! There's 42 rivets visible on the hatch! What's it mean, what's it mean?
Old 09-30-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
"Understanding is a three-edged sword ..."

das

Best. Show. Ever. (Well, except for Farscape, though I know you disagree with me on that).
Old 09-30-05, 06:50 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Buffy. I started watching with season 5, so I don't know about specualtion on the show before, but there was a couple really good mysteries after I started watching. The biggest was Dawn, but one of my favorites was all the numbers on people's shirts at the beginning of s6. The creators later said they didn't even realize several people were wearing shirts with numbers on them, but for me and many other people, it seemed like too big a coincidence to not mean anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.