DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
What exactly does a fish monger do?
See last weeks thread.
Old 09-30-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I'm just glad to see challenges where the tribes aren't tempted to go the "Fat Five" route and, despite Jeff's admonishment, vote out any player showing any sign of superior strength or effort. It has meant that Steph and Bobby John have apparently made it past the point of the easy choice to vote-out. I've maintained Steph was overrated through her first season, but I didn't want her bounced just for being a returnee.
Old 09-30-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
She didn't explain it very well, and it was right before they were going on court.

I too wondered if she thought it was such a sound strategy why didn't she explain it to them when they were on the sidelines.
Old 09-30-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
I expected to see more hard fouls. Steph's tough, I would have cheered if she used her field hockey moves and threw an elbow or a hard check.
Old 09-30-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Why again is Stephanie considered "the best female player ever"? Other than she tries hard and happens to be the most athletic female on her team, she hasn't done much to stand out or make her team better.
Old 09-30-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I too wondered if she thought it was such a sound strategy why didn't she explain it to them when they were on the sidelines.
I can think of a couple reasons. One, she didn't know who was up with her next and the way they were switching up, the person with her next could have been playing at the time. The games were also going very fast(atleast editing made it seem that way) and she only had a minute or two anyway. Also, she didn't think she was gonna have to explain it. She thought she would just say for the 2 people off the ball, one person set a pick for the other to get open. She also didn't want to give that idea to the other team. So she tried to secretly tell them to do it right before they started assuming they had played basketball in the past.
Old 09-30-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Why again is Stephanie considered "the best female player ever"? Other than she tries hard and happens to be the most athletic female on her team, she hasn't done much to stand out or make her team better.

Agreed. She is not the best survivor player. She's the best female athlete. Kinda how Micheal Vick is the most athletic NFL QB. He is hardly the best overall QB.
Old 09-30-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by cdollaz
See the 10 lb sandbag chase around the watery track challenge from last year...nuff said
Old 09-30-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
See the 10 lb sandbag chase around the watery track challenge from last year...nuff said
Big deal. That proves her physical ability, but the game is much more than that.
Old 09-30-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BDLOU
I can think of a couple reasons. One, she didn't know who was up with her next and the way they were switching up, the person with her next could have been playing at the time. The games were also going very fast(atleast editing made it seem that way) and she only had a minute or two anyway. Also, she didn't think she was gonna have to explain it. She thought she would just say for the 2 people off the ball, one person set a pick for the other to get open. She also didn't want to give that idea to the other team. So she tried to secretly tell them to do it right before they started assuming they had played basketball in the past.

She could have explained to them when it was a all-male point-try. Certainly better than trying to do it at the last second.

Like I said - regardless, that strategy won't really work in a game where the ball handler can't move or else like in football when you already set in a formation with the ball and receivers run a pick.

Heck, most college hoops teams have problems executing a simple pick and roll.
Old 09-30-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get this. The strategy would have worked fine (had she explained it better). In fact, it's probably the best strategy possible, and accidental picks were what was freeing most of the players for easy shots. Instead of standing in the corner covered, go pick another girl and free your teammate for a deep pass.

das
Old 09-30-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Brianna was just worthless in that challenge.

Then again, I'm not exactly how well a pick strategy would work since you can't move with the ball like you can in basketball.

She didnt want them to pick the ball she wanted them to pick for each other.
Old 09-30-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sven
She didnt want them to pick the ball she wanted them to pick for each other.

I understand - note how I included the football WR equivalent in my last post. Lot easier to do it from a set formation.

I'm not really sure what the rules were. Could one teammate simply tackle or hold someone without the ball?
Old 09-30-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The pick takes time to develop, and if you did not pass the instant that you caught the ball, you were tackled....it COULD NOT work.
Old 09-30-05, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Agreed. She is not the best survivor player. She's the best female athlete. Kinda how Micheal Vick is the most athletic NFL QB. He is hardly the best overall QB.

I'm betting that time will tell that Danni is a better athlete than Steph. Steph is nice to look at (ok very nice)...but gd her attitude certainly sucks....she has way to high of an opinion of herself. I guess she fails to remember being 0-2 in individual immunity challenges...and her and Bobby Jon getting their butts kicked when it was a 2 on 2 immunity challenge. Wonder what she blames those 3 sound defeats on?

Sure would be nice to give a little private interview time to some of the other players...seems Queen Steph is getting about 1/2 of those we see.

Love the season so far though. Finally some new and interesting challenges.
Old 09-30-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The pick takes time to develop, and if you did not pass the instant that you caught the ball, you were tackled....it COULD NOT work.
That isn't true at all. There were numerous times where someone was just holding the ball while standing, without being tackled. Remember the multiple times where Steph had the ball and her two teammates just stood around doing nothing? She was able to hold on and keep standing for a relatively long time.
Old 09-30-05, 03:16 PM

One of the other two needed run and set a pick(running up and pushing someone take no time at all)and then run a give and go with Steph while the original person settig the pick cutting to the hoops. Granted that was prolly too much for either of the other ladies to handle physically or mentally and they didnt know who was going next so it would have been hard to plan. But its just crazy enough to work!
Old 09-30-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like in the early days of basketball before dribbeling, the way to go would be to move down the court by a series of short passes to yourself on the move.
Old 09-30-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Briana misunderstood Steph's plan and picked her nose.
Old 09-30-05, 06:53 PM

I cant find a pic for comparison but Lydia reminds me so much of that doped up character Cheri Oteri used to play on SNL.
Old 09-30-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Here's an addendum to the whole "pick" story, and whether Brianna should've known what Steph was talking about: Has anyone checked out CBS's web page for the show? Under the description for Brianna, it states that her favorite spectator sport is ... you guessed it, basketball! Though it didn't specific whether she watches basketball for the game, or maybe she just has a thing for tall guys wearing shorts.
Old 09-30-05, 07:29 PM

HAHA thats a great catch.
Old 09-30-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HAHA thats a great catch.
You meant a great pick.
Old 09-30-05, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the sports radios girl's name - is that Dani? Am I the only one who thinks she is scary as hell?
Old 09-30-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant find a pic for comparison but Lydia reminds me so much of that doped up character Cheri Oteri used to play on SNL.
Oh my god that is so funny!!! i was just thinking about that when i was watching on thursday.

You need to cut back on the fishmongering.
I'm serious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.