Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Surface, Invasion or Threshold?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which new broadcast network sci-fi show should I be watching?
Surface
33.33%
Invasion
29.29%
Threshold
30.30%
Sci-Fi? Screw that. Gimmie the overrated Niel Patrick Harris!
7.07%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

So, I have all these TIVO'd and unwatched so far and am realizing I don't have the time to watch all three. I should and probably will give one a shot. Which is it? Sell me on which one you think is the most solid show.
Old 09-28-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say Threshold but I'm betting I'm one of the few. I really don't like any of the 3. But at least Threshold has Carla Gugino to stare at.
Old 09-28-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now my money is on Threshold, but I need to see another episode of Invasion to be sure.
Old 09-28-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's really hard to say. IMO, none of them are anything great so far.

I thought the first episode (or was it the first 2? not sure if that was 2 eps back to back or a 2 hour single episode) of Threshold seemed really promising, but based on the second episode, I think I am going to be easily bored by this show if it is not following a single storyline throught the whole show, which appears will be the case.

As for Surface....I thought the first episode was much better than I was expecting and was rather entertaining, but the second episode dashed my hopes and I don't think I can handle much of that baby CGI monster.... personally, I think this show probably appeals to kids much more than it does adults... that might explain why it is on at 8pm.

Invasion.... don't have an opinion either way yet. it's really hard to base anything on the pilot episode since it was pretty boring and nothing happened.
this show looks like it might have potential, but if the second episode sucks as much as the first one did, i'm done with it, although it's too easy to stick around and watch this right after LOST, so that's the best thing it has going for it really.
Old 09-28-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And BTW Doogie is pretty good in his new sitcom. :X
Old 09-28-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm watching all 3 of these, and I think it's too early to tell. Maybe I'll vote in a few weeks.
Old 09-28-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's hard to recomend a show to someone being the 3 shows are all going for different themes and will appeal to different people. Only thing they really have in common is all of them had less then stellar pilot eps IMO..

Surface seem more like an old school creature feature.. As in the show is more about "here your monster (or whatever it is) but now you have to wait to see what it will do" rather then any real sneaky government conspiracy etc.. Show does not even have have a clear cut -bad guy- yet.. We have already seen a baby whatever and a big one etc etc..

Invasion is more like body snatchers. We have no idea (sep for a few people we know for sure) who has been infected or really by what or the motive etc. Not even sure if there is a creature or what is going on.. I don't think the goverment is going to play as much of a role as it will be Joe Average vs Aliens or whatever they are..

Threshold is all about the government conspiracy/cover up (heck the Threshold team IS a government group) with strange dream set ups and this and that.. The last ep was only about uploading something to the internet, all ep..

Not sure any of the shows are going to be huge hits but then as I always say, I also thought Titanic was goign to be a huge flop.. Still, none of the 3 really have sucked me into the story line much. Unlike say Lost did but not sure that is being fair to the other shows, only been a handful of eps from them so far..

Last edited by DeadLamb; 09-28-05 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-28-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the first ep of Threshold, but lost interest in the second one about half-way through. Invasion's first ep seemed all over the place to me, and a little confusing, but I'll stick with it at least a couple more eps. Surface, I like. I'm a nut for giant monster stuff.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 09-28-05 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I liked the first ep of Threshold, but lost interest in the second one about half-way through. Invasion's first ep seemed all of the place to me, and a little confusing, but I'll stick with it at least a couple more eps. Surface, I like. I'm a nut for giant monster stuff.
I haven't watched Surface at all, but I agree with the rest of the comment.
Old 09-28-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Based solely on the first eps of these three (I haven't watched the second installments of Threshold or Surface yet) the winner is: Threshold.

Oddly enough, my highest expectations were for Invasion, and that is my least favorite of the group.
Old 09-28-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also like Threshold the most out of those three shows. I'll continue to watch Surface and Invasion to see what direction the stories go.
Old 09-28-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well kinda hard to tell since we have not even seen the second episode of Invasion yet.
I've already dropped Threshold and thought the first two episodes of Surface were ok enough to check out a third.
Not sure I'm gonna care that much about the characters in Invasion (I didn't care about them very much in the first ep) so that could be the second series to go after tonight which will then leave me with only Surface.
Old 09-28-05, 10:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just glad that Threshold isn't on ABC, or I'd think it was the prequel to Lost(I blame it on Ethan). Wait, Carla Gugino and Evangeline Lilly... together?
Old 09-28-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Invasion best.

This thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438908
suggests Threshold is best, followed by Invasion, followed by Surface
Old 09-28-05, 10:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Threshhold for me. Caught the premiere by accident while flipping through channels. I like the chemistry of the cast and that it's one big story arc.
Old 09-28-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Invasion is top, right now after 1 episode. I missed the first episode of Surface and caught the 2nd one this week. Threshold is about to be cut, it has this Friday to prove it does not need to be cut.
Old 09-28-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I like Invasion best.

This thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438908
suggests Threshold is best, followed by Invasion, followed by Surface
Missed that. Helps if the show titles are in the thread title.
Old 09-28-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I'm amazed that Threshold is winning. I must have missed the last few threads for these shows. I know for sure after each episode showed 1 episode practically everyone like either Surface or Invasion more.
Old 09-28-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont think any of them are great and the verdict is still out. None are as interesting or compelling as Lost.
Surfact was horrible. So mark that from the list. I have only seen one episode of Invasion which I liked and threshold is pretty good. I dont see any, unless they improve greatly, being around long term.
Old 09-28-05, 12:50 PM

Surface is the best, Invasion and Threshold are pretty boring, espeically Threshold is the worst of the bunch
Old 09-28-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Basing my opinion from the premieres only, I say Threshold. Now that I've seen two episodes of Threshold and Surface, I say Surface. Perhaps my opinion will change after tonights Invasion.

where's the waffle smilie??
Old 09-28-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got to go with Threshold. I don't know if it's the best of the bunch or not, but it's the only one my wife is interested in. Having someone to watch with certainly makes it more fun for me.
Old 09-28-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still saying Threshold, I didn't think the second ep was that bad.
Old 09-28-05, 06:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Surface.

All 3 would probably be better as a miniseries.
Old 09-28-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote goes for Surface, too. I'm really enjoying the show so far.

I haven't seen Threshold yet (hadn't even heard of it until I read about it on this forum a couple of days ago), and Invasion was just underwhelming and boring to say the least.

Still, I'll check out Invasion this week and see if it improves, and I'll set the DVR to record the next Threshold so I can get a taste of that action as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.