Surface -- "Episode 2" -- 09/26/05

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Surface -- "Episode 2" -- 09/26/05

"Episode 2" Episode #102.
Spoiler:
Miles tries to form a bond with the new species; Laura and Rich try to get onto Sullivan's Island to learn about the mysterious carcass that washed ashore.

Cast: Lake Bell, Rade Serbedzija, Jay R Ferguson, Carter Jenkins.
Producer(s): Joshua Pate, Jonas Pate.

Original Airdate: September 26, 2005.
Old 09-26-05, 08:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'll tune in -- if I'm not impressed, I'm done.
Old 09-26-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. I'll check it out.
Actually the same attitude I have toward Invasion later on this week. I kind of doubt I'll be holding on to all these along with Lost. (which I know I'm staying with)
Old 09-26-05, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Same here. I'll check it out.
Actually the same attitude I have toward Invasion later on this week.
Agreed. I did the same to Threshold with this last episode - now this coming Friday I have another free timeslot.
Old 09-26-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dropped Threshhold too
Old 09-26-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Down to the wire for me on all the new "Sci-Fi" series.

I like the way surface is shot. Has a really gripping look to it.

Unfortunately, the teleplay is horrible.

IMO ... Destined for early cancellation.
Old 09-26-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a commercial for this the other night where the Voice-Over Man said, "the Premiere was just the Beginning!"

I think that's all I need to know about this show.
Old 09-26-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why everyone is comparing Surface, Invasion, Threshold, etc. to Lost. They really have nothing in common with Lost IMO.
Old 09-26-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really good episode. I like this show, its like a fun "creature" movie that you used to love growing up. I like that they arnet going for aliens, like I was thinking when I first seen the ads. I like the design of the creatures and the little one was pretty cool. This is a well shot and well acted show.

Ending was pretty cool with the couple fishing and catching the shark, then as they reel the shark in, half of the shark is missing. Then the camera is high in the air and you can see this huge creature coming up from the water.

I hope this show keeps doing well in the ratings. Its my favorite new show of the season, My Name is Earl, is great too.
Old 09-26-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
Really good episode. I like this show, its like a fun "creature" movie that you used to love growing up. I like that they arnet going for aliens, like I was thinking when I first seen the ads. I like the design of the creatures and the little one was pretty cool. This is a well shot and well acted show.

Ending was pretty cool with the couple fishing and catching the shark, then as they reel the shark in, half of the shark is missing. Then the camera is high in the air and you can see this huge creature coming up from the water.

I hope this show keeps doing well in the ratings. Its my favorite new show of the season, My Name is Earl, is great too.
I agree. This show so far is more interesting than THRESHOLD & INVASION combined. It is shot better and is much more suspensful. I will keep tuning in until the show gets cancelled, which I have a feeling it will. I thought the ending of tonight's eppie was cool as well, I liked how they cut to the end RIGHT as we started to get a good look of the creature...very cool indeed.

BTW, who is the chick that people kept claiming was FUGLY in the show? I haven't found ANYONE to be even the least bit unattractive.
Old 09-26-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
The creature jumped the shark; then he jumped the boat.
Old 09-26-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That ending with the creature coming up to swallow the boat did look cool in HD.

Decent episode actually. I was all set to drop this but now think I'll be sticking around to see what next week brings.
Old 09-26-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
I'm confused on something.. Last week, the two divers are able to shoot a creature with a spear gun but this week a super laser can't penetrate it?
Old 09-27-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
BTW, who is the chick that people kept claiming was FUGLY in the show? I haven't found ANYONE to be even the least bit unattractive.
Bell, when she was on Boston Legal, did not look all that great.. At least not "wow hottie" or at least that was the thinking of many.. at least in this ep she was looking better over all being clearly jeans and a tshirt works better on her then some of the outfits/hair do's she sported in the past..

as for this ep it totaly saved the show for me.. First ep was pretty dull and I was not going to hang around for a ton of ep as they teased and teased with what the creature looked like and so on.. Ah but clearly that is not what they are going to do with this show and it's more like an old school creature feature of the past as some others have mentioned.

as in more about the who what and why of the creature then it just lurking around for 12+ eps as people wonder what it looks like.. It's sort of funny how at least in the previews Threshold, Surface and Invasion all sounded the same but thankfully are all going off in different direction as far as theme..

as for "....able to shoot a creature with a spear gun but this week a super laser can't penetrate it?".. I think the one they shot was much smaller and I would guess younger then the one they have in the lab? So softer? no idea..

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

of course if you have not seen the ep yet, don't click the pic being you can't tell WTF is going on in the tiny thumb nail but you can in the full size pic..
Old 09-27-05, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
I thought it was a pretty strong second eps. I might keep it around.
Old 09-27-05, 05:51 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Thought we were going to get a little "Foghorn" "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" action during the scene at the Cape Horn lighthouse. (reference to Bradbury/Harryhausen). Lil Nimrod looks like a smaller cuter version of the Rheadosaurus.
Old 09-27-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Since the creatures are BIG and amphibious there are all kinds of cool creature feature possibilities. Attacking a small coastal town and eating everybody, attacking a speeding train. How about a season cliffhanger where a couple dozen "daddy-sized" come ashore in Malibu. This could be a lot of fun if done right. I'll stick around awhile and see where this goes.
Old 09-27-05, 07:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this show does not work for me. i want to be more inside the government reaction to it like threshold. how many people have seen these creatures. word would be leaking out big time. the show is bad spielberg. the whole part with the kid and bath tub creature is pathetic bad. invasion has invasion of the body snatchers possiblity and threshold works so far for me, but this show has jumped the shark. goobye and let the fugly chick save us and serenity guy get a little smarts. i'm tuned out
Old 09-27-05, 08:17 AM

I will admit that last night's episode was actually quite decent. However, I just cannot get involved in this show. I really have no desire to continue watching as I really am not curious to see what happens. I will say that it is probably the best of the 3 Lost spin-offs though.
Old 09-27-05, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Since the creatures are BIG and amphibious there are all kinds of cool creature feature possibilities. Attacking a small coastal town and eating everybody, attacking a speeding train. How about a season cliffhanger where a couple dozen "daddy-sized" come ashore in Malibu. This could be a lot of fun if done right. I'll stick around awhile and see where this goes.
thats what I was thinking, I love the feel and direction of this show. I like the little creature that the boys have in a tub. THis is the best one of the 3 new sci-fi shows.
Old 09-27-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sabre
this show does not work for me. i want to be more inside the government reaction to it like threshold.
This is exactly why I like it better than Threshold, because we get to see it play out from three different perspectives. The other reason iis because the alien or sea monster is a hell of a lot more interesting than a flying oragami box that turns people into zombies.

I thought the premiere was ok, but I wasn't sure how they would make a whole series out of it. I really liked this episode. I'm still not sure how long they can make it last, but I'm in for the short term.
Old 09-27-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm really on the fence with this show. I kinda enjoy it but when I think about the quality of shows like 'Lost' or '24' - it doesn't hold a candle to the expert level of writing, suspense or acting. It has so much potential but it lacks focus. It's just kind of dull. My time is too valuable for mediocrity. If I miss it next Monday, no harm no foul. I have a feeling it won't be on for more than a few more eps. anyway.
Old 09-27-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadLamb

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

of course if you have not seen the ep yet, don't click the pic being you can't tell WTF is going on in the tiny thumb nail but you can in the full size pic..
Cool, thanks for the pic. I absolutely loved the ending last night.
Old 09-27-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Cool, thanks for the pic. I absolutely loved the ending last night.
Me too! That shot is enough to make me tune in next week.
Old 09-27-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Roto
Ta lot more interesting than a flying oragami box that turns people into zombies..
hey now, it's not the flying origami box, it's the SOUND the flying origami box makes as it's flying and doing origami!!

Sep last ep of Threshold was when they went all RIAA and tried to stop the sounds of the flying origami box from being uploaded on the net.. Errrrrrr yeah, in some ways I sort of like the big ass monster eating a boat in Surface a little more right now..

sep that can chance of course, I'm still giving all 3 of the --aliens in the water-- shows a chance..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.