Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO..hands down the BEST Trek...DS9!
Old 09-22-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
DS9

I liked the 'soap opera' aspect of the show.
Old 09-22-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Since I have never seen an episode of TOS, .
Old 09-22-05, 03:48 PM

TNG
TOS
Enterprise
DS9
Voyager

Never watched the animated series
Old 09-22-05, 03:50 PM

Posted by Rockmjd23:

1. TNG
2. TOS

3.DS9
4.Enterprise
5.Animated

6.Voyager.
Jesus Christ, Rockmjd23, Voyager may have had more than it's fair share of crappy episodes, but it was not that bad!

Here's my list of favourite Trek shows:

1) DS9

2) TOS

3) TNG - VOY

4) ENT

5) ANT

Just because Enterprise is towards the bottom of my list does not mean I deem that show to be mediocre, far from it. Unlike some fans, I do not develop a rabid and irrational hatred of different Trek spin-off series.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 09-22-05 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 03:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Hey! There's nothing irrational about our rabid hatred!
Old 09-22-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I am a fairly young guy, compared to a few here. There are 3 reasons why I've never seen an episode of TOS. 1) I am young. It is before my time. 2) Before the advent of DVD, and DVR getting ahold of copies or watching them on TV was tough. 3) I never particularly cared for the cheesy sci-fi of the 50's and 60's. While I know alot of the show wasn't intentionally made cheesy, it looks that way watching it now. Of course that could be said of any show now in 30 - 40 years, but still.

Maybe one day, I'll watch them.
Old 09-22-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cancer Man

Unlike some fans, I do not develop a rabid and irrational hatred of different Trek spin-off series.
A condescending attitude is not necessary. You may disagree with the opinion, but it is not irrational to have an intense dislike for a show that celebrated mass genocide and time travel for individual personal gain ... particularly when it paraded around with the Trek name attached to it.

das
Old 09-22-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
1. DS9
2. TNG

Edit: I guess I need to say more so that the capitalization stays.
Old 09-22-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ToS
Old 09-22-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
I've always thought Buffy was syndicated, it's clearly wildly popular, but I've only watched a few eps on DVD. Is it WB?
It went five seasons on the WB and then jumped to UPN for its final two.
Old 09-22-05, 04:28 PM

das Monkey: A condescending attitude is not necessary. You may disagree with the opinion, but it is not irrational to have an intense dislike for a show that celebrated mass genocide and time travel for individual personal gain ... particularly when it paraded around with the Trek name attached to it.

das
Sorry, das Monkey, I do not wish to insult anybody with my opinions, and that's "Endgame" you are talking about, das Monkey, when Captain Janeway screws up the timeline and zaps out the Borg, in order that she saves a handful of crewmembers and bring the USS Voyager home?

Well DS9 could be seen as "celebrating" war with millions of deaths. But you could counter argue that all that bloodshed was for the greater good and carried out to protect the Alpha Quadrant, with billions of lives saved, but you could claim that Janeway has saved billions of lives by putting a dent in the Borg Collective, even though it's technically seen as genocide and is carried out for selfish reasons. But innocent people are murdered in DS9's "What You Leave Behind" as well; tens of millions of Cardassian civilians are killed, the Allied fleet of Romulans, Klingons and Humans suffer appalling losses, plus the most of the Dominon task force is decimated in the wormhole. But that's a different context I guess, besides that I find both "Endgame" and to a much lesser extent, "What You Leave Behind" to be somewhat arkward closures to the series, "Endgame" especially (But it's certainly alot better than "These are the Voyages").

Last edited by Cancer Man; 09-22-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 04:42 PM

Posted by brainee: Good overview of the series, Cancer Man. I agree with you on most counts.
Which of my points do you disagree with, brainee?
Old 09-22-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The difference is that "Endgame" celebrated it, and Janeway was promoted to Admiral in large part because of it. DS9 was a dark show, and difficult choices had to be made, but it always recognized its darkness and addressed its consequences. "Endgame" didn't even realize what Janeway was doing was wrong and expected the audience to applaud her for it. It was embarrassing and one of a few times where I felt stupid for being a fan.

das
Old 09-22-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
TNG by far. My favorite of the treks. I didn't know that many people watched the animated series. I never did.
Old 09-22-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNG..one of my favorite shows. I haven't really watched much TOS or any Voyager though. I'm watching DS9 on DVD right now and just started season 2. Real boring so far but I know it's supposed to start getting better and start having an arc at some point. Enterprise was good enough to watch but kind of bleh.
Old 09-22-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Ds9
Old 09-22-05, 05:22 PM

Posted by das Monkey: The difference is that "Endgame" celebrated it, and Janeway was promoted to Admiral in large part because of it. DS9 was a dark show, and difficult choices had to be made, but it always recognized its darkness and addressed its consequences. "Endgame" didn't even realize what Janeway was doing was wrong and expected the audience to applaud her for it. It was embarrassing and one of a few times where I felt stupid for being a fan.

das
It's Ok to dislike, or feel unhappy about "Endgame", I too dislike it but for different reasons. I felt that "Endgame" gave the Voyager cast a not very good send off and I felt they deserved a better closure than they got, for example they would have had a tightly woven Season Seven story arch that involved the Voyager crew going back to Earth in like seven episodes before the season final and having all the main characters trying to fit back into civilian life after about half a decade of treking across the Delta Quadrant.

But no, the bumbling Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had to screw it up with more Borg and silly time travel (admitedly Braga did pen a few excellent time travel episodes in TNG and Voyager), the USS Voyager blew up the Unimatrix Complex and then abrubtly goes back to Earth, end of story. At least B&B did not spectacularly fuck up Voyager's final episode the same way they did with the final episode of Enterprise.

I partially agree with you, das Monkey, that "Endgame" was morally sour in tone since it sat uncomfortably with the rest of the Voyager, since that series (like TNG) was morally fluffy in tone. I think the main "good guy" characters in DS9 are no angels and do alot of bad shit, but that is adressed in a much more intelligent manner.

But the destruction of billions of Borg drones is not as bad as killing normal people, but that is a moral quagmire as well, since Borg drones were once real people and can be saved from the Collective. I think that moral message was adressed in TNG episode, "I, Borg" when the Enterprise-D crew were presented with a chance to wipe out the Borg Collective, but due to moral considerations the crew refuse to take advantage of opportunity to take out the Borg.

Last edited by Cancer Man; 09-22-05 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the actress who played Kes want out (basically because of the reasons you just described)?
There are funny stories about the reasons behind Jennifer Lien's departure. Some say it was her pushing to get off the show. Other's say that it was a mutual decision. Some say her character was written off because she wasn't providing the sex appeal that the producers were looking for in their Trek babes. Some people even have crazy drug theories. One story has that the producers were all set to fire Garrett Wang when he mysteriously made a "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" list, and they changed the direction of the axe towards Lien.

The official line is that it was mutual decision beteen Lien and the producers. I suspect the truth lies closer to the "paring the cast to make room for the babe" idea. But I guess we'll never be sure
Old 09-22-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Which of my points do you disagree with, brainee?
Well, in your opinion DS9 is by far the best Star Trek series. I got bored after 1 season and stopped watching. I gave it sporadic looks in the following years and it never pulled me back in. So I'd say that is a pretty big difference in our opinions.
Old 09-22-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Next Gen...hands down, although first 2 and half years are a little ruff. For those who said they dont hold up well the first few seasons lol. They did'nt hold up back then either, end of season 3 and on the show cant be matched.

TOS...James T Kirk...Spock....Bones...nuff said....

DS9 has good writing but if I wanted to watch a soap Id turn on days. Although I stayed with it and it had it moments.

Voyager Like someone said I kinda think this show got a bad rap. Mostly from being stuck on a sorry ass channel as UPN. I mean cmon look how long ago that was, now look at UPN today, its still a joke. Was even more of a joke of a channel then. really hurt this shows exposure.

Enterprise Last season was great, if it had been that good to start with, we'd all still be watching it.

Animated...well....right...
Old 09-22-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cancer Man

But the destruction of billions of Borg drones is not as bad as killing normal people, but that is a moral quagmire as well, since Borg drones were once real people and can be saved from the Collective. I think that moral message was adressed in TNG episode, "I, Borg" when the Enterprise-D crew were presented with a chance to wipe out the Borg Collective, but due to moral considerations the crew refuse to take advantage of opportunity to take out the Borg.
The two most laughable things about "Endgame":

1) They establish this whole Unimatrix Zero thing and (poorly) develop the character of Seven and then expect people (apparently you ) to just accept that murdering billions of them is cool, because, awww ... Chakotay was sad.

2) "I, Borg"

das
Old 09-22-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tos
Old 09-22-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I have to give the edge to DS9 over TNG mostly because those first two seasons of TNG don't hold up nearly as well as the first two seasons of DS9. Because it was slightly before my time I don't feel the same sort of nostalgia toward TOS but the good episodes still hold and in some cases are being blatantly ripped off to this day (SG1 from two weeks ago hello). And McCoy is still one of my favorite TV characters. Both VOY and Enterprise had wonderful promise but horrible execution and both had finales that are best forgotten.
Old 09-22-05, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
One story has that the producers were all set to fire Garrett Wang when he mysteriously made a "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" list, and they changed the direction of the axe towards Lien.
Around third season, I was one of the unfortunates who got to pitch ideas for Voyager, back when you didn't need an agent to get a script read by Paramount. I got a pack that included the writer's bible, a sample script (the "eh" story "Resolutions") and guides for what the producers did and didn't want.

One of the very, very firm instructions was: "We aren't so interested in pitches which put the weight of the story on Harry, Kes or Neelix." This was about the time that Garrett Wang was, shall we say, a discipline problem on the show.

The rumor at the time was that Paramount had gotten Wang the slot in People to mollify him (These things don't happen, you say? Riiight) and Lien wasn't sexy enough, so the show got Barbie of Borg. I don't know how much of it is true, but that was the talk.

And my favorite Trek? Hands down, DS9, with TNG and TOS close seconds. I know that Roddenberry didn't want to glorify war, and DS9 showed war at its worst, challenging the characters to the extreme. Best example was "In The Pale Moonlight", my personal fave.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.