Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Shows no one knows about (Current or Cancelled)?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV Shows no one knows about (Current or Cancelled)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Action, starring Jay Mohr, Buddy Hackett and Illeana Douglas was an absoultely phenomenal show. I wish it would come out on DVD.

Agreed... Throw "The Job" on that list
Old 09-21-05, 09:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Adding: Parker Lew Can't Lose, Herman's Head, and Inside Schwartz.
I only saw 2 episodes of Herman's Head, but they were great, especially the Marcia Brady episode.
Old 09-21-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodnight Sweethart. Not sure if it ever has been aired in America or not, but it's a great show that is hardly even known around here.
Old 09-22-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Homefront, an ABC drama from the early 90's about what happens in a small town after the soldiers return home from WWII. It was such a great show, it addressed issus like race, gender, etc. and just had great stories. I think it only lasted a season or two.
Old 09-22-05, 12:32 AM
Suspended

John Doe. Fox cancelled it to bring back Family Guy.
Old 09-22-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
"Kindred: The Embraced" (1996) ...it's on a barebones DVD, and I really took to it.

A kind of Vampire soap based on a popular role-playing game.

I was shocked to learn that the show's star (and primary reason to watch the show) Mark Frankel, was killed in a motorcycle crash...

It also featured C.Thomas Howell, Kelly Rutherford, and Buffy/Star Trek guest star Jeff Kober.

"The Visitor" (1997) was a series that had a sort of X-files/Touched By An Angel feel to it, from the makers of "ID4" and "Stargate". Since I am a fan of both movies (especially ID4) I had to watch it, and it was quite good. It featured John Corbett (Sex and the City, My Big Fat Greek Wedding -film), Steve Railsback (best known for playing Charles Manson in a docudrama) and Firefly/Angel 's Adam Baldwin- who also appeared in ID4.

I wish Fox released it on DVD. It was only 13 episodes long.
Picked up Vampire on DVD as well way back, and did enjoy it for the 8 episodes that were there.
Old 09-22-05, 02:28 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
There was this one show on in the late 80's/early 90's called Dearly Departed. I don't remember much about the show other than it was about a couple who had died and they "Haunted" their old house. It had the WORST theme song ever. If anyone knows anything about this show I would appreciate it.

"Nearly Departed"! It ran for four episodes. I loved it! Now, I was about 12 at the time, so I don't know if I would still find it as funny if I were to see it now. But Eric Idle was in it, so it can't have been THAT bad.

The funny thing is, I loved the theme song, and I STILL REMEMBER IT! Despite having only heard it four times, at the beginning of each of the four episodes!

"Everything lately
Has been driving me crazy
Ever since we joined the deceased
There'll be no resting in peace, we're...
Nearly departed!

[bridge]

"Who can ignore
When a family of four
Is running amok in your home?
They're constantly near us
They can't see nor hear us
Nobody can,
Except the old man.

But anyway.
Old 09-22-05, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
The State
Old 09-22-05, 08:25 AM
Suspended

You would expect with a title like this that the thread would be empty.
Care to enlighten me?
Old 09-22-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwing82
I remember Inside Schwartz! That wasn't bad at all.

I remember NBC made fun of cancelling it on their anniversary special.
I enjoyed that one too, until they removed all the sports references, then it went to crap.
Old 09-22-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll second / third / whatever a lot of the titles listed already. Herman's Head, Sports Night (a show that was enjoyable even if you weren't a sports fan), John Doe, etc.

Others I'll add:

The Tick (live action): Most people don't realize that there was a live-action series. When it first premiered, I knew it was doomed. I believe I gave it 5 eps, and I was very close. The problem wasn't that it was bad, it was that it was too good. It was so close to the comic book. While that should be viewed as a good thing, in this case it's not. To understand Tick the comic book, you have to understand that it's a parody. To understand a parody, you have to understand the material that the book is making fun of. Since your average TV viewer had no idea about all of this, the show was doomed.

American Gothic. I can't believe that no one else has mentioned it.

And even though it went for about 10 seasons, it's amazing how many people have never heard of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Sure, the internet folk know it, but more often than not when I bring it up in a non-internet conversation, the person tilts their head and gets that look a dog has when you make a strange noise.

TV Funhouse - most people only know the shorts from SNL. Understandable, since the Comedy Central show was buried in the early morning timeslot and only went 8 episodes. Funny stuff, though, especially Mnemonics. "You can easily remember the 5 stages of grief - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance - with the simple phrase 'drink alcohol before doing anal'."

And to pull one from the UK, Black Books. Comedy Central tried to push it, but no one bit.

I'm sure there are more, but I have to hit the shower and go to work.
Old 09-22-05, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
McLeod's Daughters
Nero Wolfe
Tracker
Touching Evil
Dilbert
Old 09-22-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Clerks cartoon series. I can watch those DVDs every month and still laugh at every joke.
Old 09-22-05, 01:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Malibu Shores - A short lived (10 episodes) show on NBC from Aaron Spelling. Great cheesy fun, with the first big role for Charisma Carpenter (playing a character that was pretty much the beta run for Cordelia) and Keri Russell in a pre-Felicity starring role. If this had come out a year or two later on The WB it probably would've had a long run.
Old 09-22-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems like the only people who know about Aqua Teen Hunger Force are 15 year old emo kids. Which is a shame, because they ruin everything i.e. Napoleon Dynamite.
Old 09-22-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
It seems like the only people who know about Aqua Teen Hunger Force are 15 year old emo kids. Which is a shame, because they ruin everything i.e. Napoleon Dynamite.
I love Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It is easily the funniest animated seried ever. It makes the Simpsons and Family Guy (especially the new crappy Family Guy) to shame.
Old 09-22-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I love Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It is easily the funniest animated seried ever. It makes the Simpsons and Family Guy (especially the new crappy Family Guy) to shame.
Hey, Venture Bros. is pretty funny too...
Old 09-22-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Care to enlighten me?
Because if no one knows about it, no one would be able to post about it in a thread. It's a "When a tree falls in the forest" type thing.
Old 09-22-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Newsradio qualifies under the original criteria, even if I think it is the longest running show listed. Nobody could watch it unless they were willing to glue themselves to the TV listings every week searching for it on the grids.

There was this great little show called The Good Life starring John Caponera, Drew Carey, and Monty Hoffman that NBC ran back in the early 90s.

I was also fond of The (sponsor's name) Dana Carvey Show. I think this is actually were TV Funhouse originated from, too. At least, I think Ace & Gary (AKA The Ambiguously Gay Duo) came from there.

I think others have surely mentioned:

The State
The Ben Stiller Show
Line of Fire
The Inside

ETA: I also enjoyed 100 Centre Street, though it really eased the cancellation blow when I discovered The Shield (which is a far superior way to spend an hour on a Tuesday).

Last edited by Jimmy James; 09-22-05 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 02:39 PM

Kind of suprised no one has mentioned this one but... Firefly. I know there's the movie coming out but two hour show vs the possibility of several seasons. I'll take the seasons.

I agree with Brimstone and I want to add Jake 2.0
Old 09-22-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If no one knows about it, how would they post about it?
Old 09-23-05, 02:05 AM

The Tick
Dead Like Me

*sigh*
Old 09-23-05, 07:58 AM

Yes Dear
Still Standing
The O.C.
Smallville
Old 09-23-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I'm 34 and I'm a huge fan of Aqua Teen. I like pretty much all of Adult Swim, except for the very retarded "Tom Goes to the Mayor" and the new cop cartoon (can't remember the name).
Old 09-23-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Yes Dear
Still Standing
The O.C.
Smallville

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.