DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Invasion -- Series Premiere "Pilot" -- 09/21/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/438745-invasion-series-premiere-pilot-09-21-05-a.html)

iggystar 09-22-05 11:18 AM

Eh, I was intrigued but no blow away. I'll give it a chance over the next few weeks.

Shannon Nutt 09-22-05 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
The whole hurricane first half was really dull, and none of the characters came as off initially interesting. Things picked up a bit in the end, but so far this feels more like the first part of a 5 part miniseries than the pilot of a series. I'll keep watching for a little while to see how things progress, but based on pilots alone I preferred Threshold.

Guess I missed out, because I turned this baby off after about 20 to 25 minutes...it was boring me to death. I won't be tuning back in next week.

lwhy? 09-22-05 01:03 PM

I didn't like the pilot. The daughter annoyed the hell out of me. Carlita! Carlita! Carlita!
I also think that all of the characters are pretty dull. Also the whole jumping in the water toward the creature was just dumb. Let's go jump in the water and die :rolleyes:. I will probably continue to watch it for a little while longer, because nothing else good is on at 9C.

GameGenie 09-22-05 01:26 PM

I thought it was pretty good, ill most likely keep watching.

garmonbozia 09-22-05 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Of course, I hated the little girl, Rose, looking for her cat in the midst of a hurricane, just convenient, lazy writing to get some of the characters to see the orangish lights in the sky and in the water.

That scene really annoyed me too, but more because the wind effects with her in the woods looked more like a cool summer breeze compared to how the house was being pumelled by the wind..... it was really distracting for me.

garmonbozia 09-22-05 01:41 PM

I haven't watched Surface yet, but so far, I thought Threshold was more interesting than this show.

lewisb73 09-22-05 02:14 PM

the fact this show came on after one of the best shows on tv... well I did get my hopes up... and being through these hurricanes down here, there wasnt enough panic about the storm... people out boarding houses just as it was hitting, kids in school... just seemed as if the writers pushed the events as close to the storm hitting as possible to crank up the suspense a little... I( think it made the people look stupid...

It was decent overall though, I will give it time... if it "loses" me (like other shows suck as Carnivale did)... Ill just watch something else...

bloopbleep 09-22-05 03:15 PM

On a par with Surface,nothing special and not must see tv.have to DVR it for now on,10 pm is too late for me,Surface does have a better start time at 8 pm,if you want to watch a brand new show this season,I recommend ROME. blows these 2 shows Surface and Invasion off the map.just my two cents.

Dan1boy 09-22-05 03:56 PM

whew! I'm so happy that most of you are on the same wavelength as me. I really can't add anything constructive because it's all been said in this thread.

Surface = another week or two
Invasion = Blah

Next (and last) premiere = The Night Stalker next Thurs.

meritocracy 09-22-05 04:46 PM

The Night Stalker was the worst of the bunch IMO.

Dan1boy 09-22-05 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by meritocracy
The Night Stalker was the worst of the bunch IMO.

Really? How so? I imagine you've seen a sneak?

damn, was hoping for good things coming from Frank Spotnitz (X-Files) *sigh*

movieking 09-22-05 06:02 PM

I liked it. It was better than Threshold, but I haven't seen Surface so I can't comment on that.

I am glad they made Fichtner a seemingly bad guy. I just don't buy him as anything good.

Daniel-A 09-22-05 08:20 PM

I think I wasn't paying enough attention to this. I didn't get it, but don't know what I didn't get. I'm guessing the sheriff and his wife (main guy's ex-wife) are now alien possesed? And there is some colony of children/eggs living in the swamp. I really didn't care for this. Everything is getting a second chance, though so we'll see what happens next week.

Originally Posted by Chew
Saturday is just "repeat dumping ground" now isn't?

I thought it weird that the season preview in either TVGuide or EW (can't remember which) didn't even have a Saturday section.

Gotta have been EW, I remember the FOX Saturday line up consisting of Cops and America's Most Wanted and I've only seen the TVGuide one.

Originally Posted by Eric F
I still think The 4400 is the best out of all of them, but somehow it's been overlooked, probably because it's on cable.

Best one of what? If you are gonna say Lost clones, you gotta get yer facts straight. 4400 Season started Summer before this, Lost started Fall.

meritocracy 09-22-05 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Really? How so? I imagine you've seen a sneak?

damn, was hoping for good things coming from Frank Spotnitz (X-Files) *sigh*

I was hoping for good things from Spotnitz as well. If the pilot is anything to judge by, I fear all hope is lost. Lazy writing, cheap effects (perhaps they've improved that aspect), badly acted and an uninteresting mythology. Basically, illconceived and painful to watch.

Michael T Hudson 09-22-05 11:41 PM

Kind of creepy watching it tonight as the Hurricane is closing in on Texas.

Chew 09-23-05 06:13 AM

I'll join with the crowd: m'eh.

I hope the critics calling this the best drama of the new season weren't just basing that on the pilot.

Deftones 09-23-05 05:04 PM

It was OK. I think the premise is good. HD was pretty damn great. That anchorman on TV at the end used to be a local Phoenix guy for quite some time. Wonder how he got that gig.

LorenzoL 09-24-05 07:31 PM

Finally watched the pilot and found it boring for the most part.

The only reason that I will be sticking with this show is because of Shaun Cassidy and the work he did on "American Gothic". I'm hoping that the latter episodes will improve.

ChrisHicks 09-24-05 07:45 PM

I liked it. plus it always helps to have a hottie like Lisa Sheridan which I have fancied since I saw here on Freakylinks.

lopper 09-24-05 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
That anchorman on TV at the end used to be a local Phoenix guy for quite some time. Wonder how he got that gig.

Really? Who was it?

EDIT Nevermind.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Finally watched the pilot and found it boring for the most part.

Agreed. I'll give it another week or two, but so far it's not looking good.

mikehunt 09-25-05 06:34 PM

um, why was the father talking to that one cop in spanish when they first find the blonde's car?
last I checked FL was in America, even if there are a lot of Cubans in FL cops would speak English

pilot 09-25-05 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
um, why was the father talking to that one cop in spanish when they first find the blonde's car?
last I checked FL was in America, even if there are a lot of Cubans in FL cops would speak English

I lived in South Florida for about 10 years..That's pretty much how it would go if both spoke spanish..

riley_dude 09-25-05 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
I still think The 4400 is the best out of all of them, but somehow it's been overlooked, probably because it's on cable.

The whole first season of 4400 was a bore.It doesnt take a lot to be better than 4400. Great miniseries but they didnt know what to do with the premise.
I like Invasion. In face I liked it better than Threshold and Surface.