DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Reminder - The O.C. Season 3 Premeires September 8th! Spoilers + Clip Inside (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/436651-reminder-o-c-season-3-premeires-september-8th-spoilers-clip-inside.html)

lwhy? 09-09-05 03:18 PM

I also thought that this was a little lackluster. They must have some really stupid cops to not check for gunshot residue. On another note, I think that it would be really, really funny if Seth inherited the Nichol fortune. Also, from the preview for next week's episode it looks like Jimmy has gotten himself into trouble again. I think that Jeri Ryan has nothing next to Kelly Rowan.

Cancer Man 09-09-05 04:39 PM

I have mixed opinions about the openming premier, it's still far too early to tell how this season pans out. I'm pretty blah with some of the characters, although Kelly Rowan's character in rehab seems the most interesting. Jeri Ryan is playing her usual somewhat cold and creepy "outside" character pretty well.

LorenzoL 09-09-05 05:04 PM

An okay episode for me with the whole "Trey" saga finally out of the way and done for (hopefully).

It's assumed that Jeri Ryan character "Charlotte" is up to no good but did they have to show her staring at Kirsten intensely 3 times during the episode.

Another :up: on the way Summer looked.

I liked Seth line to Summer about her liking "seamen". :lol:

I'll watch next week.

Cancer Man 09-09-05 05:26 PM

lwhy?: I think that Jeri Ryan has nothing next to Kelly Rowan.
What do you mean?

lwhy? 09-09-05 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
What do you mean?

I mean that I think Kelly Rowan is a heck of alot hotter than Jeri Ryan.

Cancer Man 09-09-05 06:21 PM

Oh...

Anyway, I've popped over to the TWoP Forum and already some people dislike Jeri Ryan's character and subplot, even though she's only turned up in a few scenes. Anyway do you think her character sucks?

spainlinx0 09-09-05 06:27 PM

I'm already not a fan, and I don't find her attractive. She looks like an alien to me.

Jonny2k1 09-09-05 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Jeri Ryan is only 37 for christsake not 59! :eek: -rolleyes-

To be fair, I think Jeri Ryan is still very attractive and ageing well for the most part, even though she's faded slightly since her Seven of Nine days. You think she's no longer "hot" only because she's aged about three or four years and developed a few more laughter lines?!

Don't get me wrong, they are both still incredibly hot. IMO Kirsten just looked quite a bit more aged than last season. And btw I'm only 22, so 37 is old to me :)

Cancer Man 09-09-05 09:15 PM

Although Jeri and Kirsten are both very pretty, I was taken aback to how haggared they looked in the rehab scenes, though hopefully that was intentional. Also already there have been mixed reactions to Jeri Ryan's Charlotte character, with some OC fans already taking an instant dislike of her and hailing her as the new "Oliver".

What the heck does that mean?

And why the irrational dislike?

meritocracy 09-09-05 09:31 PM

If you don't know who "Oliver" is, I'll hazzard a guess that you haven't been watching this show very long. I don't think the dislike is entirely irrational considering the show essentially telegraphed to everyone that her character is destined to be nothing more than another in a long line of characters brought on as a calculated plot-device used solely to drive a wedge between the main characters. Granted this show has always contained aspects of melrose place and daytime soaps, but personally, I find it old, lazy and above all tiresome.

Cancer Man 09-09-05 09:42 PM

I don't really like The OC, but Jeri Ryan could prove to be a good guest star, despite the contrived cercirmstances surrounding her character. She's a good actress, I imagine she will do OK.

However, I don't think much of her sneaky and odd Charlotte Morgan character and the Rehab subplot has not developed a proper spark yet, which would explain the lukewarm reaction from the show'a fans. Then again, the other characters and plots are somwhat contrived as well

But I reserve my judgment and hope Season Three picks up fairly quickly.

THX7966 09-10-05 10:03 AM

Anyone else wonder why Ryan stopped to get a haircut before rushing his dying brother to the hospital?

flashburn 09-10-05 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by THX7966
Anyone else wonder why Ryan stopped to get a haircut before rushing his dying brother to the hospital?

They did this to show how shallow the people of Orange County really are, and how Ryan has now become one of them.

;)

Dalvin 09-10-05 10:53 AM

actually is suppose to take place 3 months after the events of Season 2. Most people get a hairbut in that timeframe.

spainlinx0 09-10-05 11:20 AM

Plus it was a dream he was having. So maybe his mind just placed his new haircut in an old situation. :)

flashburn 09-10-05 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
actually is suppose to take place 3 months after the events of Season 2. Most people get a hairbut in that timeframe.

He was talking about the beginning of the show, during the 'dream sequence'.

Cancer Man 09-10-05 11:40 AM

Is The OC really this contrived? Or boderline dull?

Dalvin 09-10-05 01:12 PM

I missed the entire dream sequence. I came in during the opening credits.

Gizmo 09-10-05 02:21 PM

I think Jeri Ryans character will be a hell of alot better then Oliver....god I hate that flippin' character.

As per the Jimmy Situation, I think Julie does get some money (Maybe a few million) and Jimmy runs off with it. At the end of the season, Jimm turns up dead...

movieking 09-10-05 02:31 PM

Sorry to the fans, but to me, this was one of the worst OCs yet. It was uneven mismash. No doubt Jeri Ryan is there to cause trouble. BTW, a supposed spoiler for her (not sure if it is remotely true or not):

Spoiler:
She does have a lesbian affair - with Julie!

Not sure if I believe it but it wouldn't surprise me.

THX7966 09-10-05 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
BTW, a supposed spoiler for her (not sure if it is remotely true or not):

Spoiler:
She does have a lesbian affair - with Julie!

Not sure if I believe it but it wouldn't surprise me.

I doubt they would repeat that plot so soon.

Gizmo 09-10-05 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by THX7966
I doubt they would repeat that plot so soon.

Well...
Spoiler:
She does move in with Julie...so who knows. Julie did say she dabbled in it when she was a teenager...

MrX 09-10-05 11:34 PM

I thought it was ok

Seth seemed more like S1 Seth than S2 Seth so hopefully that will continue

Cancer Man 09-11-05 02:57 AM

Posted by spainlinx0: She looks like an alien to me.
I guess that's why they picked her for semi-alien Seven of Nine. rotfl

Anyway, do any of you think Jeri Ryan's character is pretty unlikable and somewhat annoying?

SexualPudding 09-11-05 05:55 AM

I do, and from some of the posts I have read, you and I are not alone. I have a feeling a lot of people are just going to have built in hatred for her character from the get go, regardless of what kind of job she does.

For me personally, it's a little bit of both pre-bias and just feeling like the character is going to be an unnecessary annoyance and distraction on the show. First of all, I have never liked Jeri Ryan for some reason. Also, I, like many others, thought the majority of last season was weak compared to the first. A lot of that had to do with the new characters. No matter how much airtime they got or what situations they were put in, I just could never stand the new characters from last year, Lindsey, Zach, or even Alex. Lindsey's character was just so dull, Zach just struck me as a whiny little bitch, and although Alex was extremely hot, her character served no purpose at all other than for Marissa to have a 3 week lesbian flirtation and give the kids an in at the cool hang out spot, the Bait Shop or whatever. Nothing more than the 00's version of the Peach Pit/P.P. After Dark.

I know they have to have other stories and situations aside from the core characters, but last year the writing took a sharp nosedive to coincide with the new actors. Maybe they just got complacent from the 1st season's success and went on auto pilot. In any event, while this first ep didn't wow me, it definitely did feel a lot more like the O.C. I grew to really like the 1st season.