Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ultimate Fighter Season 2 premieres tonight on SpikeTV

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, the finals are now set. It will be Joe Stevenson vs Luke Cummo for welterweight, and Rashad Evans vs Brad Imes for the heavyweight. It will be on this Saturday, so we actually got three episodes of Ultimate Fighter this week (heck yeah)!

I thought Seth would pull out the win over Brad, but I don't know why he wasn't listening to his corner. When he kept his distance and used his kicks, he was totally controlling the fight. Seth's ear looked horrible after the fight was over, and you could actually hear a popping noise when Brad hit it once.

The fight between Joe and Jason pretty much went as I expected it to go, but with less blood. Joe is just a monster, but Jason was handling him pretty well on stand up. Once it hit the ground it was over though.

I think Joe will come out with the win for welterweight, and Rashad will be the heavyweight winner. Luke is a good standup man, but I don't think he will be able to matchup when Joe takes him to the ground. Rashad is just a better fighter than Brad, and was quite impressive during his fight with Keith.
Old 11-03-05, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jonny2k1
So, the finals are now set. It will be Joe Stevenson vs Luke Cummo for welterweight, and Rashad Evans vs Brad Imes for the heavyweight. It will be on this Saturday, so we actually got three episodes of Ultimate Fighter this week (heck yeah)!

I thought Seth would pull out the win over Brad, but I don't know why he wasn't listening to his corner. When he kept his distance and used his kicks, he was totally controlling the fight. Seth's ear looked horrible after the fight was over, and you could actually hear a popping noise when Brad hit it once.

The fight between Joe and Jason pretty much went as I expected it to go, but with less blood. Joe is just a monster, but Jason was handling him pretty well on stand up. Once it hit the ground it was over though.

I think Joe will come out with the win for welterweight, and Rashad will be the heavyweight winner. Luke is a good standup man, but I don't think he will be able to matchup when Joe takes him to the ground. Rashad is just a better fighter than Brad, and was quite impressive during his fight with Keith.
I totally agree with everything you said except for thing about Seth winning. I don't know why but I had a feeling that Brad was going to get his hand raised.
Old 11-03-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Crashnburn
I totally agree with everything you said except for thing about Seth winning. I don't know why but I had a feeling that Brad was going to get his hand raised.
I get that feeling about Brad too! He's near 7 feet tall and just goes in there and swings for the fences! He's just a straight brawler but with his size and strength, it's hard to see people being able to take it to him!
Old 11-04-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the heck happens to their ears? I bunch of fighters in the UFC have deformed ears and I now see why.. Randy's ear is the one that comes to mind. So is Seth's ear going to be permanently deformed like Randy's?

Man, that was sick!
Old 11-04-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonny2k1

I'm really looking forward to the welterweight bout as Luke is just crazy and Joe is a monster on the mat. I do feel like we're getting shortchanged on the heavyweight fight though. I think Seth really got the short end of the stick in his fight. He was beaten fair and square, but I think he was fighting outside of his comfort zone trying to protect his ear. If he was healthy I have no doubt he would have took that fight. Even still the Texas Heartthrob v Rashad should be fun to watch so it's all good.

UFC 59 I think it is will be the first ppv I ever order. I really want to see what the coaches are made out of.
Old 11-05-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
What the heck happens to their ears? I bunch of fighters in the UFC have deformed ears and I now see why.. Randy's ear is the one that comes to mind. So is Seth's ear going to be permanently deformed like Randy's?

Man, that was sick!
Its called cauliflower ear. When the ear sustains enough damage to interrupt the blood supply to the cartilage. The cartilage dies. Then the dead cartilage gets replaced by fibrous scar tissue. When it gets to that point yes its permanent. Its very common in wrestlers.
Old 11-05-05, 07:57 PM

I'm pumped as hell, the show starts in 10 min. Let me just make some predictions for a few fights and let's see if it sticks. Also there is breaking news that I heard. TUF signed on for 2 more years. They are going to have (not sure of the weight classes) a regular season next, then an all-star after that.

It's way too early for that, and how in the world are you going to do that with different weight classes? But that is the plan, and Spike tv really fucked them over now because starting next season all the fights will be 2 rounds, because they want to spend more time with the personalities. I don't want to go on a rant of how stupid that is, from TUF1 they had booze to none in 2, to how in the world if it's evenly split between rounds who do you give it to etc.... Just utter bullshit.

Welterweight Bout
Melvin Guillard (36-5-3) vs Marcus Davis (9-3)

Melvin was the black dude with besides Luke a real stand out personality. I guess he's pretty good even though he lost his fight, so zuffa will set him up to destroy him, and even though it's a undercard fight, they will sneak this one on television instead of just a dark match.

Welterweight Bout
Sam Morgan (16-6) vs Josh Burkman (15-2)

I've only been to one MMA show live. Sam Morgan who's from my home state of MN, was the main event. He must have had a bunch of friends come to the show, or he was a house hold name there because when he came into the ring it was like he was a superstar. People were screaming and a few were shaking the fence. He knocked somebody old cold in about 20 seconds, but of course this is better competition. Well he is one of the guys who made an impact on the show (fight wise) so again, they let him have an easy matchup, he'll win for sure.

Welterweight Bout
Kit Cope (2-2) vs Kenny Florian (5-2)

Easy, they want the ultra quick handed Florian to knock somebody out cold to move him up the food chain. He's the unknown very good fighter of TUF1.

Welterweight Final Bout
Luke Cummo (6-1) vs Joe Stevenson (28-6)

As much as everybody wants Luke to win, I have about the same chance to beat Joe than he does. Stevenson takes him to the ground right away within the first 20 seconds and does ground and pound for the entire round. Then round 2 he puts him away from a ref stoppage doing the ground and pound.

Heavyweight Final Bout
Brad Imes (5-0) vs Rashad Evans (10-0)

My minor upset of the night as Imes comes out on top. He *JUST* got into this game and I guess hes learned a lot on the show, and of course this was filmed a long time ago so he's even better. I see him using his size, taking Rashad to the ground most of the time and it goes to a decision on a very boring fight. I'm pulling for Rashad though.

Welterweight Bout
Nick Diaz (11-3-0) vs Diego Sanchez (15–0)

You thought Fedor vs CroCop and Chuck vs Randy was hard to call, this is even harder. Diaz of course is better standing up, Sanchez is better on the ground. You always have to give the edge to the ground guy, and Sanchez grounds and pounds and beats him in round 2 in a good fight.

Last edited by xx2000xx; 11-05-05 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 08:02 PM

Show is starting, I just pray to god that unlike last time, they drag the show on FOREVER. It was painful at times, hopefully more dark matches and none of the highlight clips bullshit.
Old 11-05-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xx2000xx

It's way too early for that, and how in the world are you going to do that with different weight classes? But that is the plan, and Spike tv really fucked them over now because starting next season all the fights will be 2 rounds, because they want to spend more time with the personalities. I don't want to go on a rant of how stupid that is, from TUF1 they had booze to none in 2, to how in the world if it's evenly split between rounds who do you give it to etc.... Just utter bullshit.
Are you kidding? Spike wants more focus more on personalities? That's ridiculous. I'd rather have another round of fighting, just for the hell of it!! I sometimes fast forward through all the crap to get to the the challenge/competition and then the fight.

Watching the finale tonight as well. Kenny looks so much smaller than Kit Cote but that means nothing I guess.
Old 11-05-05, 08:33 PM

Check out my play-by-play. Screwed up my edit.

Last edited by xx2000xx; 11-05-05 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
Are you kidding? Spike wants more focus more on personalities? That's ridiculous. I'd rather have another round of fighting, just for the hell of it!! I sometimes fast forward through all the crap to get to the the challenge/competition and then the fight.

Watching the finale tonight as well. Kenny looks so much smaller than Kit Cote but that means nothing I guess.
That's what everybody is saying too, people have tivos these days, if you're a fight fan, and don't care about the real world type show, of course you'll just skip the garbage. It's just the fact that season 1 had higher ratings. Well shit, there was a heel (leban) cause he pissed on a bed and talking shit, then all of a sudden he was babyface (good guy) because of what Koshcheck and Southworth did to him, we all wanted Leban after he was piss drunk smashing windows cutting knuckles to smash the shit out of Koshcheck.

If they cut this season to 2 rounds, and focused more on personality, my fucken god that is a train wreck waiting to happen. There was 3 personalites on the show, jeorge (who lost), luke, and the cocky melvin, who lost the first show.

Somebody needs to tell spike tv, they need to give the booze back like they did in season one and tell them to drink if they want that shit, otherwise this show will go in the can, fight fans will leave, and if there is no personalities (like season 2) the casual fans will leave too.
Old 11-05-05, 09:09 PM

edit for later:

Last edited by xx2000xx; 11-05-05 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted that Luke and Joe fight to continue... they could have went a couple more rounds!!
Old 11-05-05, 09:23 PM

I wanted that Luke and Joe fight to continue... they could have went a couple more rounds!!
Joe was so gassed that Luke would have won for sure, or if Luke had a decent take down defense or take down, he'd win for sure. Joe was supposed to be like Diego this year, he was picked to win this, and he did, but he didn't impress. He will be a forgotten name in 8 months.
Old 11-05-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joe was so gassed that Luke would have won for sure, or if Luke had a decent take down defense or take down, he'd win for sure. Joe was supposed to be like Diego this year, he was picked to win this, and he did, but he didn't impress. He will be a forgotten name in 8 months.
Good point. What do you think of Luke? I enjoyed his matches this season.
Old 11-05-05, 09:44 PM

Good point. What do you think of Luke? I enjoyed his matches this season.
Fantastic personality, good fighter. Good meaning, if there was no ground game, he is top notch, his moi tie sp? is great (meaning his standup) but when it comes to the ground, like a lot of new people they don't have a clue. Sorry to say, but unless he improves like no other, he'll have no chance in the UFC, you need the ground game to win MMA these days. This season was famous too for hardcore fans, cause the people they picked were wayyyyyy out there, some dude had 4 fights ever, but he got in, now he's in the finals
Old 11-05-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, another good finale match.
Old 11-05-05, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=xx2000xx]My play-by-play: spoilers ahead.

1st fight. Welterweight Bout
Kit Cope (2-2) vs Kenny Florian (5-2)

In my predictions, I got Florian mixed up with Mike Swick, Florian was the dude who got lucky as hell and cut Leban to stop the fight. Swick is the dude who fought on UFC Ultimate Fight Night and TUF1 finals.

First round: All Florian - at the end he went for I thought a kamura, yet Joe said he's going for an americana??? what the hell is that? I know Joe has said kamura before too i think, so maybe somebody can fill me in.

2nd round. Rear naked choke, we all knew if it went to the ground it's all over.

Random rant: Commercial with Beth-o (howard stern's GF does the movie plug with the dude from sopranos) She's probably the most overrated girl ever, I don't find her attractive at all, and she has NO business in front of a camera, it's so bad, I just cringe cause I feel her awkwardness. Ouch.

2nd fight - Welterweight Final Bout
Luke Cummo (6-1) vs Joe Stevenson (28-6)

Round 1/2 - Joe dominated. Impressed with cummo's defense in the guard, Stevenson is not that good or Cummo is good, and it's 90% Stevenson. He had full mount, many of chances to do submissions, but he can't close the show. Love the "luke luke luke luke" chant. FUCKKKKK Luke had a heel hook in round 3, if only he knew the ground, it would have been over for sure there. Love Luke, but Joe won round 1/2, Luke destroyed him in 3. - here we go with the decision.

Joe won, but i'd like to take a steaming pile of shit on the judge who gave Joe the 3rd round. Why? Because he took him to the ground 3 times? He did no damage there, Luke clearly won that round. Dana White said this was griffon/bonner just on the ground?!?!?!? My fucken god, anything but, that was just sloppy work of Joe, beating a dude who has NO business on the ground. I guess he's never seen Nogueira or even Pride because that was not skill, that was an inexperienced fighter vs I guess a semi-experienced ground fighter who couldn't close the show even though if he was good, should have killed him.

Heavyweight Final Bout
Brad Imes (5-0) vs Rashad Evans (10-0)

Great 1st round, Rashad has a NASTY jab, everytime he threw it, it hit. I was screaming at my tv, saying throw it again, throw it again....... how fucken rare is it, for a dude with a HUGE arm length disadvantage to just kill him with a jab???? I'm only 5'7, so I love that fact. Round one over, Rashad won it with the end flurry.

Round two: My god, Rashad is hitting those jabs again like will, even counter punching him like a boxer would. Then hit him at the end, but Imes is in better condition, and fucken killed him that round. It was all brad. Joe said it best, Rashad does NOT belong in the HW division, of course not, this dude is fucken 423432 more pounds than him, if he had 2 brain cells, he'd take him to the ground and it's over, cause Rashad doesn't know ground either.

Round three: Classic round. Just fucken fun. Most people agree that Pride has by far the best fighters in the world, it's true, but it won't produce a round like that or do a bonner/griffin, that was a great fight........ Imes 2 rounds to 1 though before decision.

Rashad won round 1 and 3, it was a close fight....... however he isn't going too far if he wants to go heavy or even 205 pounds, he is not that good.

Wow I just seen the worst interview ever in the history of interviewing.... Rogan just talked to the band Korn on the show, live mind you, and then he talked all about the name you don't talk to in the UFC Tito Ortiz. Then he scrambled that interview like no other. Uh, um, blah.

Welterweight Bout
Nick Diaz (11-3-0) vs Diego Sanchez (15–0)

Here we go. Or I thought, but then I had a phone call, took the dog out, had a smoke even too, and it didn't even start yet now. They didn't learn from last time, all this idle bullshit will lose viewers like no other, the whole time they could have shown one of the 4 undercard fights, but instead it's this shit, which i just skipped, and i don't even have tivo. Man they fucked it up, if this fight is shit, i'll laugh, cause they did fuck it up, but it should be a good fight.

Diego Diego Diego they chant, it's about 300 ppl, like a HS gym. But here we go. Classic eye contact bad blood.......... here we go..........................

Round One Ding - As ALL said, Diego would go nuts on the first round, go crazy and hit the fight, all the "experts said diz will controll round 2/3"

I said Diego would take it to the ground in 20 sec, well shit, he took about 7 to do that, then controlled it. I say next round he'll win by blows, but we'll see.

Now that is a fucken fight. A good MMA is not standing up, and no, the other fight on the ground that Dana White said was bonner/griffin, was shit, i've seen about 439432 better fights better than that. Well add one here, that was a great ground war, the 3rd round was classic. But again, like i said, Sanchez will take it to the ground and take control like he did. Fuck all the people who said Diaz would win. He's good, but always take the ground dude (hence fedor) any day of the week.
Old 11-05-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats wrong with Korn mentioning Tito Ortiz? Elaborate if you can.
Old 11-05-05, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by bballing
Whats wrong with Korn mentioning Tito Ortiz? Elaborate if you can.
Just one excerpt, this was wayyyy before even the contract shit.

Ortiz Camp Responds to Dana White
TitoOrtiz.com

I’d like to address Dana White’s comments during an interview posted on the website on Tuesday, May 24th. Several statements were made about why Tito was not allowed in the octagon at UFC 52, why he wasn’t on camera, why he’s been pulled off the website, etc. All because Tito Ortiz is no longer a UFC fighter. Understood.

However, when Dana states that “Tito has this fantasy that he's the biggest guy in MMA, that he is the God of all MMA” that is where I take exception. No, Tito does not think he’s the “God of all MMA” but I can say that the belief that Tito Ortiz is the biggest or one of the biggest names in MMA is not a “fantasy”. Dana further went on to state that right now more people know who Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin are than know who Tito Ortiz is. And why? Because they were a part of a show that ten million people were watching at one point. For hypothetical purposes, let’s say that less than 10 million watch the NBA Eastern Conference Finals this week between the Detroit Pistons and Miami Heat. Would that mean that more people know who Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin are than who Shaquille O’Neal is? Of course not. There are several factors that play into an athlete’s popularity. Being in front of a national television audience of ten million helps but it’s not the sole determinant. Tito's involvement in movies, TV shows, prints and other media outlets outside of the UFC has given Tito exposure that goes beyond the MMA loyal and into a much larger audience that dwarfs the viewing of the latest in a string of reality shows. I would put this question to industry experts to determine if Dana's theory holds water. I would be willing to put Tito up against Forrest or Stephan in a Q score study. As I'm sure Dana knows, the Q scores are the industry standard for measuring familiarity and appeal of performers, characters, sports and sports personalities across a broad audience. Forrest and Stephan may be up and coming in the UFC world but this can't negate the growth and popularity that Tito has brought to the sport over the years and the Q scores would prove it.

Nonetheless, it can be concluded that it is in poor taste for one entity to make comments or insinuations that another assumes it’s "the God of all MMA", especially if both insist that the number one goal is the promotion and growth the sport. MMA will keep growing and become more main-stream via the vehicle known as the fighter, not the president of an organization.
Old 11-06-05, 06:38 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
They need to keep the 3 round fights for sure!

They need booze in the house and two slutty easy girls, so the guys fight over them

Also better bigger profile coaches, Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock
Old 11-06-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=xx2000xx]
First round: All Florian - at the end he went for I thought a kamura, yet Joe said he's going for an americana??? what the hell is that? I know Joe has said kamura before too i think, so maybe somebody can fill me in.
A kimura is a keylock done with the wrist below the elbow and an americana is a keylock done with the wrist above the elbow. I'm not sure if Joe called it correctly in the heat of the moment, but for the most part Joe knows what he's talking about in regards to MMA and jiu jitsu.
Old 11-06-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe seems to just state whether someone has a half guard, a full guard, side control or a full mount over and over and over again. "He has side control. That's very good for him. Oh, now it's a half guard. That's not as good. Wait, now he's caught in full guard. He'd really like a full mount. Now he's in side control again ... that's very good for him. [Repeat]" It's like listening to Madden. "Now, now, now, when he throws the ball, the receiver tries to catch it, and when the receiver catches it, he can run, but if he gets tackled then, then, then, that's not good for the team."

das
Old 11-07-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Joe seems to just state whether someone has a half guard, a full guard, side control or a full mount over and over and over again. "He has side control. That's very good for him. Oh, now it's a half guard. That's not as good. Wait, now he's caught in full guard. He'd really like a full mount. Now he's in side control again ... that's very good for him. [Repeat]" It's like listening to Madden. "Now, now, now, when he throws the ball, the receiver tries to catch it, and when the receiver catches it, he can run, but if he gets tackled then, then, then, that's not good for the team."

das
Good call.. It was like I was watching it all over again..

Just watched this last night. Loved all four fights!
Old 11-07-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Man, those fights were great. I wanted Luke to win just because he's weird but has great striking ability.

I think Brad got jobbed. Sure, he got hit twice really well that took him down, but when Rashad went down on top, Brad came right back up and brought the fight to stand up. I think with a bit more training on the ground and pound and submissions, Brad will be pretty good in UFC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.