Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monk - "Mr. Monk and Mrs. Monk" - 8/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monk - "Mr. Monk and Mrs. Monk" - 8/12

Mr. Monk and Mrs. Monk

Is Monk hallucinating or is he really seeing Trudy?
Old 08-13-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw the part with "Trudy" taking the film out of the camera - Is it Trudy or is it an imposter?

My vote goes with an imposter.
Old 08-13-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...love ya man...
Old 08-13-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

My vote goes with an imposter.
Really going out on a limb there, huh?
Felt really sorry for the fake Trudy. She got in way over her head.

"Oh, so everybody is the man?"
"NO, just you and Monk. You're my two men."
Old 08-13-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seeing Monk after "Trudy" was one of the sadder sceen ever on the show.
Old 08-13-05, 09:39 AM

It was a sad episode, but my favorite scene was in the dead guy's apartment when Monk was noticing little things that reminded him of Trudy. The perfume: "Trudy wore that." The cinnamon stick in the coffee: "Trudy did that." The witness overhearing the victim calling the woman Trudy: "Trudy... That was Trudy's name."

I expected this episode to be horrible, but it was done well. I'm just so glad that it wasn't Trudy. That would have been a true jump-the-shark moment, as would have been Monk's reinstatement to the force. As it turned out, he took a long, circuitous and painful route to end up more or less where he started. Natalie's little poke at him at the end was very cute. They're good together.
Old 08-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Second Guest
It was a sad episode, but my favorite scene was in the dead guy's apartment when Monk was noticing little things that reminded him of Trudy. The perfume: "Trudy wore that." The cinnamon stick in the coffee: "Trudy did that." The witness overhearing the victim calling the woman Trudy: "Trudy... That was Trudy's name."

I expected this episode to be horrible, but it was done well. I'm just so glad that it wasn't Trudy. That would have been a true jump-the-shark moment, as would have been Monk's reinstatement to the force. As it turned out, he took a long, circuitous and painful route to end up more or less where he started. Natalie's little poke at him at the end was very cute. They're good together.
Agreed, the best show of the year. Trudy shows always bring out the true emotions out of Monk. It seems to give him strength to go on living and to over come his problems.

The show brought my wife to tears, Monk really showed the pain of loosing his wife.
Old 08-13-05, 11:39 AM

Definitely the best of the season. Touching, but still with some funny parts, especially Monk's dialogue with the widow in the cemetary.
Old 08-13-05, 08:22 PM

Great episode. I definitely was hoping it wasn't Trudy. I would like a little more development in the "case" though this season.
Old 08-14-05, 02:12 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I agree it was the best episode in a while.

I thought the fact that the whole thing triggered his OCD and phobias to come back again was sadder then her being an imposter.
Old 08-14-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was truly expecting this to be a jump the shark episode, but it really did pull it off in the end.
Old 08-14-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Really good episode. I have had the feeling that the series might be running out of steam the last couple of episodes, but this one was excellent. I just pray before the series ends (hopefully it will be on for a few more seasons) they solve Trudy's murder.

I don't want it to be a Pretender thing, were they never get around to answering the big question before the series gets pulled.
Old 08-14-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let's hope if they end it, they have Monk solving the case of Trudy's murder...finally.
Old 08-14-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I'll tell her."

(no crying emoticon)
Old 08-15-05, 08:48 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only disappointment was that I had hoped they'd keep us guessing about Trudy's identity until the end.
Old 08-15-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My biggest complaint was that Natalie had a photo of Trudy in front of her and still thought the actress was Trudy.
Old 08-15-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Guest
Natalie's little poke at him at the end was very cute. They're good together.

They are suppose to be partners now, not just detective-assistant, but she still calls him Mr. Monk. I wish she would start calling him Adrian, it would show more closeness between their characters.
Old 08-15-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
My only disappointment was that I had hoped they'd keep us guessing about Trudy's identity until the end.
Yeah that bothered me too. I wish they waited till the end at the storage place for the reveal. I guess after the cemetary scene there was no point in draging out the "mystery"
Old 08-15-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Finally a good episode. Monk has been going down hill for me since S3 began. Rarely is there a really good make sense episode. This one and the one with John Tuturro was great.
Old 08-15-05, 02:54 PM

I don't think it was the best of the season (that would be "Mr. Monk Goes to the Office") but it was better than I had feared and a little touching at the end, altough I thought having the actress killed was mainly a cop-out by the writters to wrap up the murky question of will she be charged for murder for killing that guy as it'd be only her word on how it was an accident.
Old 08-15-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
altough I thought having the actress killed was mainly a cop-out by the writters to wrap up the murky question of will she be charged for murder for killing that guy as it'd be only her word on how it was an accident.
Uh what??? They never show what happens to the suspects regarding their charges and sentence, so why would the "writters" need to cop-out of something they never do anyway?
Old 08-15-05, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tscott
I thought having the actress killed was mainly a cop-out by the writters
Actually, I think her being killed was necessary. Monk had finally let go of Trudy at the beginning of the episode. During the episode, he seemingly gets her back. Losing her again to put Monk back into his "funk" was a necessary plot device.
Old 08-15-05, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Uh what??? They never show what happens to the suspects regarding their charges and sentence, so why would the "writters" need to cop-out of something they never do anyway?
Well, the previous week's "Mr. Monk Gets Drunk" had a line or two at the end about how much time all the culprits would be serving since there was no actual murder only a cover up of a death. Most of the other shows focus on premeditated killings and it's clear the killer is going away for a long time.

The killing this week was accidental, but happened during a crime of deception. If she had lived, I'd think they push for 1st or 3rd degree murder, with her defense arguing accidental and you're stuck in a murder/manslaughter/accident quandary. Of course they wouldn't go into all that on the show, but they'd need to somehow indicate her fate at the end to wrap things up. So killing her off in the shootout just seemed to me a way to get out of that predicament without having to deal with it. I see the point about Monk's funk, though. I guess she was just sympathetic enough of a character for me to feel like she didn't need to die for the sake of the story.