Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 12:26 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Six Feet Under - "All Alone" - 8/07

All Alone

Spoiler:
While David attends to family business, Keith makes an embarrassing self-discovery on the job; Brenda is challenged by Nate and answers a hard question for Maya; Maggie gets a door shut in her face; Margaret compares herself to her daughter; Ruth lets Bettina play nurse; Rico and Vanessa decide to protect their future; Claire is comforted by Ted's squareness and George makes a speech about love.
Old 08-07-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Since I work weekends, my co-workers and I are wearing black in memory....
Old 08-07-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh, I wanna watch this so bad but I promised my g/f I'd wait for her... but she comes back Tuesday! Tuesday damnit! Sigh... this will be the last time I enter the thread for a while I guess.
Old 08-07-05, 04:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Will be a sad episode tonight.
Old 08-07-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure I'm ready for this one.

das
Old 08-07-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
goddamn that was intense. eesh. Extremely well done though. Go George!
Old 08-07-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
This was a tough episode to watch....very sad indeed. The last 2 episodes look pretty good, lots of questions unanswered. Loved the one line by David when he was talking to Ruth toward the beginning of the episode....won't post the line yet though.
Old 08-07-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OMG. My mom and I sat there and cried. Seriously.
Old 08-08-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode! Even a few laughs in the hour; @ Brenda's mom: "I didn't want to make this day about me..." and then she goes ahead a does it anyway.
Old 08-08-05, 01:24 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Nowhere near as sad as the previous ep, that one got me much more, this was like Nate's poem too fucking maudlin!
Old 08-08-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, the last few episodes have been great. Part of me now wishes that this wasn't the last season now, but I also know that the quality has increased in great part because everything is coming full circle and about to come to an end. At least it should go out on a high note. Quality wise, that is.
Old 08-08-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I like how Nate's burial tied in with the final artwork in the opening credits.
Old 08-08-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
This must have been a very hard episode to write. A very difficult balancing act - but they pulled it off remarkably.

As much as I enjoy certain movies and television show, there's always a certain disconnect with me where I never feel emotionally involved in any of it. This episode didn't do it either, but it came the closest that any film or TV show ever has. Very well done - of course it helps that we've been so invested in the characters over the years.
Old 08-08-05, 10:13 AM

I enjoyed Claire's flashback and how it helped provide comfort for her.
Old 08-08-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2 more shows.
Old 08-08-05, 11:14 AM

I know...the end is approaching too quickly. Don't forget there is some sort of Six Feet Under behind-the-scenes show that is to air in the next couple weeks as well.
Old 08-08-05, 12:05 PM

at Nate crying over Kobain's suicide. He was just too pure for this world.
Old 08-08-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Astro
at Nate crying over Kobain's suicide. He was just too pure for this world.
Yeah..I think they missed the boat a bit with this one.

This may be too close to TMI...but... I turned forty about the same week that Nate's B-day episode aired. (yeah..seeing 1965-2005 was a bit freaky!) But I think Nate (and I) were not Cobain's generation. I think he was more for the next younger group. I got what they were going for, but...may have been a rare timeline error. IMHO
Old 08-08-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's Cobain.

What an awfully sad hour of televion - gee, I never cry, but this one really brings tears to my face. Really fantastic performance all around, but I give credit to Rachel Griffiths for holding it in the best, before exploding into a weepy mess at the end.
Old 08-08-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
It's Cobain.
Yeah, but BassDude's point was that Nate would've been about 30 when Cobain killed himself, and probably not sobbing in his bedroom at the funeral home. I only noticed it because he was supposed to have moved out long before then, not because he was too old to be a Nirvana fan. Nate was just hipper than BassDude

I liked the episode. The funeral and Claire's scene in the car were very well done. The vindictive side of me wishes they hadn't skipped past Ruth arriving home and getting the news. I really can't stand her, but she redeemed herself later with David and inviting George to the burial. I wouldn't mind seeing her end up with George again before it's over.
Old 08-08-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I know...the end is approaching too quickly. Don't forget there is some sort of Six Feet Under behind-the-scenes show that is to air in the next couple weeks as well.

I have digital cable with On-Demand and I was going to watch this episode again and noticed that On Demand already has this two part special up. So I watched it.

Pretty good behind the scenes with a lot of the actors, writers, and directors involved - including Arthur - and even Jimmy and Anita (which surprised me - although they were in most of the fourth season).

The first part is 20 minutes or so, while the second part is around 25.

If anyone has this service and can watch it now, I think it is okay to go ahead and watch. I don't recall any blatant spoilers from next weeks episode - and of course it comes on officially on the 16th so there would be no spoilers of the last episode.

Last edited by conscience; 08-08-05 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-08-05, 04:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
"What is this some type of Quaker thing, you fuck someone's husband to death then you bring them a quiche"

Great episode. Glad to see them add some umor instead of making the most depressing episode ever.
Old 08-08-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Tremendous episode, and very heartbreaking.

I teared up numerous times - and I don't tear up that easy. I felt like such a girl when watching this.

I agree about the Cobain thing... it didn't fit right.
Nate would have been 29, and probably living in Seattle.
Regardless, he seemed a little old to be crying over Cobain's death - maybe if here were in highschool it would be more realistic.

One other thing that bothered me was David imagining that abducter again. I know they're tying Nate into that fear, but it felt overdone. I thought we've seen the last of him, and then he get's dragged into probably the most important episode of the series.

They hit the right note with Claire. Wonderful performance.

Even though he appeared a few times in the minds of other characters, it was hard to get over the fact that the "real" Nate wasn't in the show.

I'm looking forward to the last two episodes, while at the same time hating to see it come to an end.
Old 08-08-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tough ep to watch,well done.
Old 08-08-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
One other thing that bothered me was David imagining that abducter again. I know they're tying Nate into that fear, but it felt overdone. I thought we've seen the last of him, and then he get's dragged into probably the most important episode of the series.
Yeah, I thought that was a little much. It's understandable that he's thinking of the time he almost died, but it went too far when he wouldn't get out of the car because he became convinced that the guy was actually there. It went beyond overactive imagination to psychotic hallucination.

I have to think there is more to come about that. Either he gets help, or the guy gets out, something! If not, I don't see the point of going that far with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.