Starved: Season One Discussion

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Starved: Season One Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 09:10 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Last night's episode had the first "laugh out loud" moment for me.
Old 08-12-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Last night's episode had the first "laugh out loud" moment for me.

The anal geyser?
Old 08-13-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See, that was anything but a laugh out loud moment for me. I could tell it was supposed to be a LOL moment, but it just felt so forced to me. Last week's episode had a similar moment when the girl was talking about the guys' gay moment in the diner. It's strange. Both times it's obvious that they were supposed to be uproaringly hilarious scenes, but it's like the show is laughing at its own dumb joke and one that's been told a thousand times before.

I'm still giving this show a chance, but both episodes have seemed a little smug for my tastes.
Old 08-13-05, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm probably alone, but I love Starved but just can't stand It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Starved seems funny to me with some great writing, great gags and good characters. Philadelphia I just didn't find too funny.
Old 08-14-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BDLOU
The anal geyser?
I loved the first episode but the second episode was just a bit too far over the line and I love Non PC stuff. I dont want to see things like the geyser moment and the lady mentioning that he had had cake the night before from what she was suckig out of him. I just don't.
The problem with this show is that it is trying too hard and the characters are very unlikable.
Old 08-14-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the second episode better than the first. The first was just too weird and unlikeable (the cop puking on the homeless guy was the moment that I just started shaking my head at the show.)

However, the opening dialogue of the second episode, guys talking about being fingered by a hot woman-- I thought that was some great writing there. The other moment I loved was the juxtaposition of the guy watching the game with the submissive, while his wife was at home wondering where he was. That was a clever edit.
Old 08-18-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting conversation about trimming pubic hair to make things look bigger on the 3rd episode.
Old 08-18-05, 01:05 PM

3rd episode didn't do a whole lot for me. I think FX made a smart move by airing Sunny before Starved on Tuesdays.
Old 08-18-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 199 Likes on 164 Posts
I thought there were a few funny parts, but some of the stuff is just so predictable it's not really that funny.
Old 08-18-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I think may keep watching this because it's on after It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I just don't think it's very good.
Old 08-19-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 648 Likes on 522 Posts
Show doesn't do much for me. No laughs.
Old 08-25-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tonight's episode is decent so far. They are explaining things a little more which is good.
Old 08-25-05, 09:28 PM

Haha I loved tonights episode. Does anyone know what the group lady told the overeater? I was laughing so hard!
Old 08-26-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 464 Likes on 323 Posts
I like this show, but I can see why it gets no ratings - all the characters are very unlikable and unsympathetic (the girl was on the border until last night's episode), not to mention, all the puking, unpleasantness and the disorders that most people can't realte to and it's no wonder more people don't tune in. I like it 'cause it's kinda edgey - but that's just me - similar to OZ, I like it, but I don't know many people I could reccomend this to.
Old 08-26-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 648 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
but I can see why it gets no ratings - all the characters are very unlikable and unsympathetic (the girl was on the border until last night's episode), not to mention, all the puking, unpleasantness and the disorders that most people can't realte to and it's no wonder more people don't tune in. I like it 'cause it's kinda edgey - but that's just me - similar to OZ, I like it, but I don't know many people I could reccomend this to.

You hit the nail on the head. It is certainly edgy (like Nip/tuck), but edgy does not imply quality. I can't relate to any of the characters and I really don't give a rat's ass what happens to them. The show is a gross-out fest, although the girl-girl action was nice last night. Finally, it isn't funny - at all.

Overall, I've been pretty disappointed with F/X's new rollouts this summer. Sunny in Philly is very good. I've already stopped watching Over There. 30 Days had 1 or 2 decent episodes (out of 6). Starved just isn't funny.
Old 08-26-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm officially done with this show. What is it exactly? Quirky comedy? Serious commentary on eating disorders? It definitely wants to be both, but it does neither well. The "comedy" is forced, the drama is heavy handed, the characters are extremely unlikeable, the acting is horrendous, and the whole situation is just vile and revolting.

F/X has definitely put a major stain on its golden reputation for producing quality shows, IMO.
Old 08-27-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this most recent episode. I don't think this should really be viewed as a comedy. They are definitely trying to make it more serious or dramatic than just straight out funny. It has its amusing moments, but the general feel of the show is fairly dark.
Old 08-27-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 508 Likes on 299 Posts
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out while watching it. I didn't laugh once, but I don't have any sympathy for the characters whatsoever. Was that stare and "I love you" supposed to be some kind of big moment?

Then we have this bulimic guru which I'm assuming is supposed to be ridiculous to the point of funny, but it wasn't. It just made me sick because I hate people puking. I will watch because I haven't deleted it off my season pass list yet, but if it doesn't pick up, I may have to make the effort and get it off there.
Old 09-09-05, 09:12 AM

Anyone still watching this show? I too am beginning to wonder if it's a comedy. Last night's episode was a snoozefest. And what's with Sam's new girl? While cute and all, she sure is a freakshow.
Old 09-09-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 199 Likes on 164 Posts
I haven't watched it the last two weeks and I really don't feel like finding the eps to catch up.
Old 09-09-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, I guess my wife and I are in the minority, at least in this thread. Starved and It's Always Sunny.. are two of our favorite finds this season.

We really like the show - though we're not sure what genre it really is and admit that it's tough to 'like' any of the lead characters. It's a dark show, and I think that's why we like it.

There is, though, something about the chemistry between Sam and Billie that works for me, and the whole AA meeting thing in the last ep was actually kinda moving. And using Elton John's Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters in a closing montage is never a bad way to close the deal.

That gay night club sequence in the last ep was great... and

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-09-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-09-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still watching Starved. I thought last night's episode was one of the better ones.
Old 09-09-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched, and I still can't figure out why I watch this show. The only character I sort of liked was the fat one, and after that "last meal" I wanted to kill him too.
Old 09-16-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This last episode actually wasn't too bad for some reason. Maybe I'm starting to get into the characters a little more, or maybe it was the focus on more drama. It's over now though, and I haven't heard enough to think it will get a second season.
Old 09-16-05, 07:51 AM

Missed last night's finale (will catch it over the weekend though) and yeah, I highly doubt this will be returning.