Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Battlestar Galactica: "Valley of Darkness" 7/22

Starting a new thread for this episode.

SCIFI.com plot summary:
Spoiler:

"Col. Tigh must work with Lee Adama to stop a Cylon boarding party before it cripples the Galactica and destroys the fleet."

Last edited by dhmac; 07-22-05 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was an OK episode, I felt like it was just a bridge to move the story along on Caprica and Kobal.
Old 07-23-05, 07:19 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
It was an OK episode, I felt like it was just a bridge to move the story along on Caprica and Kobal.

agreed.
Old 07-23-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a lot happened on the episode, but I thought it was pretty good. The best parts were the Cylon Toasters and seeing Col. Tigh show strong leadership qualities (which is the best thing to come out of Adama's shooting).

One thing I didn't get: was the power failure due to the invading Toasters, or due to a computer virus?

BTW, what was that piano music that Katiebuck played by her father a recording of? It sounded a bit classical, but was it actually written for the show?
Old 07-23-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
hasn't helo been able to take out centurions with his standard ammo?
Old 07-23-05, 02:16 PM

This has been kicked around on the SciFi BB too.

The prevailing opinions are:
1) The cylons weren't trying to kill Helo on Caprica, at that time they wanted him to gain trust in Sharon.
2) Different armor for a raiding party as opposed to a standard Centurion.

Originally Posted by mikehunt
hasn't helo been able to take out centurions with his standard ammo?
Old 07-23-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
One thing I didn't get: was the power failure due to the invading Toasters, or due to a computer virus?
I could be wrong about this but I don't think there was a virus. At first they thought it wa virus but problem was directly caused by the cylons on board. They ruled out the virus after confirming cylons were on board. Kind of like seeing a door open on screen and thinking some virus just open that door then going donwn and seeing it was opened by giant robot with guns for hands.
Old 07-23-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ruk
agreed.
I forgot, it also advanced the relationship between Dee and the President's assistant, whatever his name is. I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

And for what it's worth, I still think Caprica-Sharon will be coming back with help (and the modded cylon ship). As for Kobal, I really have no idea what's going on there. Is Baltar really with #6, or is he still imagining everything?
Old 07-23-05, 09:24 PM
Suspended

I didn't know they had hummers on other planets It was a cool episode, I liked the action and it showed just how nasty the cylons can be, I mean there were just a few of em and there was so much carnage. I really thought billy or whatever his name is was gonna get shot. I thought it was kinda wierd though that starbuck and helo would take a truck somewhere, I mean won't that be really easy for cylons to spot, I mean just from the engine noise and all?
Old 07-23-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot, it also advanced the relationship between Dee and the President's assistant, whatever his name is.
That's the only thing I could've done without. The relationship between Dualla and Billy doesn't work at all, IMO, and their scenes were by far the weakest part of this episode. (And, as I recall, their scenes sucked in Season 1 too.)
Old 07-24-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They showed Hummers too in the flashback sequences from when Starbuck and Lee Adama were dating on Caprica, so its not the first time they have been shown.
Old 07-24-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Solid ep., but quite a step down from last week's. At times I felt like this ep. was a take-off of Doom 3, with all of the running around dark areas with flashlights and shooter perspective type stuff. Not to mention similar surroundings. Nice to see a little more Katiebuck.
"You're an idiot." -Love her!
Old 07-25-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, not nearly as good as last week. IIRC from Moore's podcast, the Caprica scenes between last week and this were really meant to be in a single episode but got split in editing so as to not completely forget about what's happening there. It does seem like a few too many storylines are going on at once now that there's two on Kobol as well (the Chief in one and Baltar in his own little world).
Old 07-25-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
And for what it's worth, I still think Caprica-Sharon will be coming back with help (and the modded cylon ship). As for Kobal, I really have no idea what's going on there. Is Baltar really with #6, or is he still imagining everything?

I think she will make it to at least Kobol, I would say it is fairly obvious that hers is the baby #6 and Baltar are talking about. Could Baltar take the baby and go with #6 and be "head Cylon" like in the OS?
Old 07-25-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
That's the only thing I could've done without. The relationship between Dualla and Billy doesn't work at all, IMO, and their scenes were by far the weakest part of this episode. (And, as I recall, their scenes sucked in Season 1 too.)
I actually like the relationship. I think odd relationships are more likely in an "end of the world" type situation because everyone feels a need to find someone.

I enjoyed it.
Old 07-25-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

friggin' great episode!

tons of action...good character development. a little hazy on the crashed landing party....but i'm sure that will sort itself out soon.
Old 07-25-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love this show, Loved this episode i liked the cylons raiding the ship, it was creepy and i like how the ships feel real, unlike alot of sci-fi shows. Anyone know whats the budget of this show? Cause this show features some of the best special effects i have ever seen on tv. The sets are also really good. Everything on this show is of such high quality, the camera work, everything.
Old 07-25-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Following up on one of the points Moore makes in his commentary for this episode: the Galactica was on it's way for decommissioning during the attack and it had a skeleton crew. Much of the ship was empty, especially the museum section of the ship in the landing bay where the Cylon ship crashed (which is why it took them a while to know they were there). My question is, why have the ship be so empty? You have an entire fleet of ships, I'm sure many of them are very crowded. Moore said the full crew would be about 2000, rather than the 1000 they currently have. Wouldn't spreading out 1000 extra people on Galactica when there's only 47000+ total humans left would make sense? Maybe Adama just doesn't want civilians living on his vessel for security purposes?
Old 07-25-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they need to give the centurians slightly sharper claws though.
Old 07-25-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I liked this ep. Liked the fighting inside the Galactica, and actually making Tigh have to make some command decisions.

Is anyone else really hating Baltar's storyline? I'm SO tired of his "hallucinations" and having number 6 there during his conversations with real people. I keep wishing for them to find out he's a traitor and kill him already.

And I know that things are crazy on Galactica right now, but I keep waiting for them to realize that Baltar's Cylon detector said Sharon wasn't a Cylon and she turned out to be one. I imagine that will cause a stir.
Old 07-25-05, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Xander
And I know that things are crazy on Galactica right now, but I keep waiting for them to realize that Baltar's Cylon detector said Sharon wasn't a Cylon and she turned out to be one. I imagine that will cause a stir.
Was that ever officially reported? I thought he did the test kind of "on the sly" using her as a guinea pig at her request, before the test was officially ready to be put into use. He probably wouldn't have volunteered to anyone that the test said she wasn't (when it really said she was), nor do I see her volunteering to anyone that she asked for the test, regardless of the outcome. The only two official tests I recall being completed (and announced) were Adama and Tigh's wife...
Old 07-25-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by slh235
Was that ever officially reported? I thought he did the test kind of "on the sly" using her as a guinea pig at her request, before the test was officially ready to be put into use. He probably wouldn't have volunteered to anyone that the test said she wasn't (when it really said she was), nor do I see her volunteering to anyone that she asked for the test, regardless of the outcome. The only two official tests I recall being completed (and announced) were Adama and Tigh's wife...
Yeah they seem to have kinda put this story on the backburner for the moment, but I'm sure Shannon will tie into the equation with some type of official test, once they can prove she is a cylon 100% they will continue to test the rest of the fleet; since they've seen what just a few centurions can do they will probably be extra cautious now.
Old 07-25-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed this episode, and loved to see that each character, even the periphreial ones, mean something. When one dies, it's not like a red shirt on Star Trek where people just didn't give a crap, it means something to the people around, and the impact is felt in the entire crew. Even if this was a weak episode, which I didn't think it was, at this series' weakest, it's still a helluva lot stronger than any sci fi I've seen on TV in the past 8-10 years. The last one to come even close to this quality was Deep Space Nine. Battlestar Galactica is what Voyager hoped it could be but failed to be. Watching BS makes me realize just how much Voyager truly, truly sucked ass.
Old 07-25-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the both of them and it's good to see the characters in the background actually get something to do for a change. Did the actor who plays him lose weight? He looks great.
I thought the episode was better than most Sci Fi movies we get including Episode 3. Drama, action and some great character moments.

Watching BS makes me realize just how much Voyager truly, truly sucked ass.
You made me almost spit my water out. Very true. Simular premise and B.G. pulls it off better than Voyager ever did.

Last edited by riley_dude; 07-25-05 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Following up on one of the points Moore makes in his commentary for this episode: the Galactica was on it's way for decommissioning during the attack and it had a skeleton crew. Much of the ship was empty, especially the museum section of the ship in the landing bay where the Cylon ship crashed (which is why it took them a while to know they were there). My question is, why have the ship be so empty? You have an entire fleet of ships, I'm sure many of them are very crowded. Moore said the full crew would be about 2000, rather than the 1000 they currently have. Wouldn't spreading out 1000 extra people on Galactica when there's only 47000+ total humans left would make sense? Maybe Adama just doesn't want civilians living on his vessel for security purposes?
You'd think some of those 47000+ would be ex-military that they could recomission tho fill out the areas that their short in and get the ship running on all cylinders. I doubt all those people have jobs within the fleet. They've got to be bored sitting around all day.

One thing that kind of annoys me about this show and some others is when the main characters seem to know other peoples jobs better than the people in those positions. i thought it was lame that the marines with the president needed her to basically tell them how to do their job or that the marines with Apollo didn't have more input into the situation since this is their area of exprertise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.