Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 11:02 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Entourage "The Sundance Kids" 7/17 & Season 3 news

"The Sundance Kids"
Spoiler:
Eric has lunch with an important person from the studio; Ari advises Vince to play it safe; Turtle and Drama do not want to share.

Last edited by MrX; 07-16-05 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-16-05, 11:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Figured I'd just combine these 2 into one thread

Entourage' Hangs on for Third Season at HBO
(Saturday, July 16 08:03 AM)
By Rick Porter
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) With two fresh Emmy nominations and a buzz level that belies its rather soft ratings, HBO's comedy "Entourage" has earned a third season.

Chris Albrecht, president and CEO of HBO, announced the pickup Friday (July 15) during HBO's session at the TV Critics Association press tour. He says the deal was completed only a day or so before that, so he couldn't offer a lot of details.

He does say, however, that the pay-cable network will aim for "as many episodes as we can get" from the deal, with 13 probably being the minimum. The show is running for 14 episodes this summer, following an eight-episode first season.
"We'll see if [creator] Doug Ellin will hire some more writers," Albrecht says jokingly.

"Entourage" earned two Emmy nominations Thursday -- for Jeremy Piven's performance as shark-like Hollywood agent Ari Gold and for David Frankel's direction of the pilot episode.

The series, which follows a rising movie star (Adrian Grenier) and his group of friends/hangers-on as they navigate the showbiz world, has earned fairly strong critical praise and a devoted following -- albeit not a large one. It's averaging under 2 million viewers per week in its premiere slot this season, although HBO doesn't look just at ratings when deciding which shows to renew.
Old 07-17-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Good to see that more Entourage is coming
Old 07-17-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE this show... I am so glad that this season is longer than 8eps and now news about it coming back for a third... awesome!

MATT
Old 07-17-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'm glad a S3 is coming. I was worried because the ratings haven't been good. I guess only guys watch it.
Old 07-17-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The season started slow IMO but has really picked up the pace. I think that it is the best in the past few shows that it has ever been in its brief season and a half.
Old 07-17-05, 03:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Good to hear.
Old 07-17-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Glad that HBO actually looks at the fanbase rather than ratings, but I guess when you don't have to worry about people buying airtime for commercials you don't have to axe something when it doesn't deliver ASAP *cough* Fox*cough* . I think this show has potential to go for four seasons at the most before it gets old though. I wish this channel would acquire Arrested Development...

How did Sex and the City do so well and this one is struggling, as it is essentially the same thing more or less, except with guys? Could more women relate, is it that there are more women in the world, or were maybe a few guys forced to watch that one? I will say this show is kind of hard for people who don't follow movies all the time to comprehend though.
Old 07-17-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest, I don't find any of the characters likeable, but I still like the show, which is pretty much a first for me.
Old 07-17-05, 04:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Glad that HBO actually looks at the fanbase rather than ratings, but I guess when you don't have to worry about people buying airtime for commercials you don't have to axe something when it doesn't deliver ASAP *cough* Fox*cough* .
*cough*Carnivale*cough*

I imagine it doesn't cost much to make, as compared to the rest of their shows, and that probably played a big role in them picking it up.

That was Carnivale's problem besides the low ratings.
Old 07-17-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Glad that HBO actually looks at the fanbase rather than ratings, but I guess when you don't have to worry about people buying airtime for commercials you don't have to axe something when it doesn't deliver ASAP *cough* Fox*cough* . I think this show has potential to go for four seasons at the most before it gets old though. I wish this channel would acquire Arrested Development...

How did Sex and the City do so well and this one is struggling, as it is essentially the same thing more or less, except with guys? Could more women relate, is it that there are more women in the world, or were maybe a few guys forced to watch that one? I will say this show is kind of hard for people who don't follow movies all the time to comprehend though.

I think the explanation is pretty easy. Girls could get their men to watch S&TC with them because there was a good amount of comedy and female nudity.

Entourage is male-oriented comedy and female nudity, so men aren't going to get their women to watch.
Old 07-17-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So a man will watch female oriented comedy but a woman won't watch something similar with male oriented comedy? Strange.
Old 07-17-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch it, and really enjoy it. Never occurred to me it was just a guy's show
Old 07-17-05, 09:32 PM

Glad we're getting more episodes. Another great episode! I find myself watching the same episode like 3 times a week. I love this show.

Drama and Turtle "crossing swords"
Old 07-17-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, looks like we might get a few more guest shots by Cameron! I was so happy for those guys it wasn't even funny. While it's a long shot, I hope Jeremy Piven wins the emmy, and if not this year, then hopefully next. Drama and Turtle= classic comedy!

I guess the guy Maury Chaykin played was supposed to be Harvey Weinsten? If he's that big an asshole in real life, no wonder he's got such a bad reputation. How do they keep managing to nab top notch guest stars for this show? I'm guessing they don't ask much for an appearance or the production costs would be through the roof.
Old 07-17-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I have ever been so excited for a movie before, yet alone a fake one! Aquaman is gonna rule.
Old 07-17-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dr. DVD

How did Sex and the City do so well and this one is struggling, as it is essentially the same thing more or less, except with guys?
Did you watch Sex and the City? Other than 4 friends, I see no similarities.

das
Old 07-18-05, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
I'm guessing he also meant the frequent referrals to sex and the sex talk that occurs among characters of both shows.
Old 07-18-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Should have known QB would be a 4-hour movie.

Good to see Alicia from Smallville.
Old 07-18-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

das

4 friends, sex references, part of a social circle in a major city...

The only difference is that they all live together and are signifcantly younger IMO, and they're guys.

I wonder if there's any possible way for us to get a synopsis "fake movie" of QB? While it's not a real movie, I am curious to see what it's like! I wonder if Cameron will have Vince and Co. come out to a boat or something to get them used to filming on water?
Old 07-18-05, 08:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
"I'm going to go talk to Peter Sarsgaard." that guy is everywhere.
Old 07-18-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog

Good to see Alicia from Smallville.
To me, she'll always be Allie from that terrible Black Sash show.

das
Old 07-18-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me, she'll always be Allie from that terrible Black Sash show.

das
Wow, I actually forgot about that show, and I kind of liked it. I remember it was on one week and it was gone the next. That was a sad day.
Old 07-18-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Another female cameo, besides Smallville hottie, was the brunette girl who said "I get Vince, you get the short one" and was later in the hottub. She was on the last season of MTV's Road Rules.
Old 07-18-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm glad a S3 is coming. I was worried because the ratings haven't been good. I guess only guys watch it.
My wife likes the show. Also a few of the ladies here at work dig it as well. But I would bet that males make up most of the viewing crowd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.