TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Court: AMC Not 'Classic' Enough

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Court: AMC Not 'Classic' Enough

Link

(Tuesday, July 12 01:16 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) When the cable network AMC decided its initials no longer necessarily stood for "American Movie Classics," it rebranded itself as a channel that offers "TV for movie people."

That didn't go over too well with one of the country's larger cable operators, which has now won a court ruling saying, essentially, that AMC is no longer "classic."

The judge in the New York case, Bernard Fried, didn't spend much time on the relative artistic merit of, say, "The Lost Weekend" vs. "GI Jane" (which is currently on AMC's slate). He did, however, rule that AMC's shift away from pre-1960 movies to more contemporary films and more original programming violated a "content clause" in the network's contract with Time Warner Cable.

That clause, introduced in 1993 and renewed five years ago, allows Time Warner Cable to drop a channel if the "quality of the programming on the services materially changes." The ruling could technically allow Time Warner to drop AMC from its cable systems, although according to several news accounts, it's more likely that AMC will be pushed into a digital package.
AMC's ratings have improved since it switched to its current format.

A spokesman for Rainbow Media Holdings, AMC's parent, says that "Of course, we disagree with the judge's ruling and plan to appeal immediately."

Rainbow Media, which also includes the IFC and WE networks, is itself a division of Cablevision, which also provides cable service, primarily in the New York City area. Time Warner Cable is part of the Time Warner conglomerate. Oddly, AMC recently signed an $80 million deal with Time Warner's Warner Bros. film division to carry 22 of its movies, including Oscar-winner "Million Dollar Baby" and "Batman Begins."

Chris
Old 07-13-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But surely that's no reason to go to JAIL!!!!!11!

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 07-13-05 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-13-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
So this case is simply a ruling that interprets a clause of a contract. No big deal.
Old 07-13-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What about MTV, VH-1, G4, and many other channels?
Old 07-13-05, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, that's really interesting. It's really sad to see how they've gone downhill.

When my daughter was born, I made a videocassette of some great films, no commericials, to bring to the hospital. ALL of them were taped from AMC. That was only four years ago.

Thankfully, TCM is still top-notch.
Old 07-13-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Wow, that's really interesting. It's really sad to see how they've gone downhill.

When my daughter was born, I made a videocassette of some great films, no commericials, to bring to the hospital. ALL of them were taped from AMC. That was only four years ago.

Thankfully, TCM is still top-notch.
So true Groucho. Got to agree with the judge on this one. Between the constant stream of commericals, and the hacking up the films, there's nothing 'classic' about AMC anymore. I'm on the Time-Warner cable system, and it wouldn't bother me one bit if they decide to move AMC to a non-basic package.
Old 07-13-05, 01:11 PM

I have more problem with the fact they rarely show anything in its OAR and have commericals, than their programming. I am glad my local cable has recently added TCM
Old 07-13-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I do miss the old AMC. I remember when TNT was showing the old movies then I guess they expanded that to TCM.
Old 07-13-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
What about MTV, VH-1, G4, and many other channels?
I think AMC should just scrap the movies and start showing music videos.
Old 07-13-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not really a fan of their new programming either, but oh well. That's how they want it, and apparently it's more popular to be a TNT/TBS clone. I also find it funny how they've incorporated reality tv into AMC. What a sad state of affairs.

Geez, it's supposed to be a station with good, old movies. How is that a hard concept?
Old 07-14-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
Geez, it's supposed to be a station with good, old movies. How is that a hard concept?
Millions of people watch "The Simple Life" and "American Idol." It doesn't surprise me AMC made the switch. There's no accounting for taste.