Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MONK - 07/08/05 - "Mr. Monk and the Other Detective"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MONK - 07/08/05 - "Mr. Monk and the Other Detective"

The new season!. Jason Alexander guest stars.

NY Daily News ***1/2 review

"Monk." Tonight at 10, USA Network.
'Monk" is back.

Not just for a new season, but in terms of quality, too.

Tonight's fourth-season premiere (USA Network at 10) returns "Monk" to fine form after a slump that dragged at the show like a riptide most of last season.

And it does so while giving guest star Jason Alexander something that otherwise has eluded him: a post-"Seinfeld" TV comedy role that's worthy of his talents.

In tonight's episode, Alexander comes on the scene - the crime scene - almost immediately, pushing aside uniformed cops, CSI investigators and Tony Shalhoub's obsessive-compulsive investigative consultant, Adrian Monk, to offer unsolicited analysis of the crime.

Alexander is playing private detective Marty Eels, a slovenly guy whom Peter Falk's rumpled Columbo would consider improperly dressed.

Marty is as messy and gross as Monk is fussy and neat - and where germophobic Monk looks at a pile of dog droppings at the crime scene and is stricken to the point of immobility, Marty looks at the same pile and sees fresh evidence.

From there, Marty follows one clue after another, each more outlandish and arcane than the next, with Monk sputtering and protesting all the way.

When one of Marty's hunches leads to a missing car, Marty reaches under the wheel well to retrieve and taste some mud - to ascertain, he says, where the car has been.

Monk is grossed out that Marty would do that, and unconvinced of the accuracy of his unconventional methods.

The two of them working, together and yet very separately, is one of the funniest odd-couple detective teamings since Tom Selleck guest-starred as ultra-idealistic Lance White to bedevil James Garner's pragmatic Jim Rockford on "The Rockford Files."

Shalhoub, given the chance to follow rather than lead the investigative team as a very exasperated Monk, has a great time with Alexander's slimy Eels.

Viewers will, too, and should be very happy to have "Monk" back near the top of its game.
Old 07-08-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Hopefully it is good. I didn't even bother with the last season after the first two episodes
Old 07-08-05, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first couple of episodes of last season were pretty bad, but there were a few good ones, too. The blackout episode, for instance, had some of my favorite Monk moments. I expected the exit of Bitty Schram to be the final nail in the coffin, but I think I might actually like Traylor Howard better. I don't know. I hope it's true that season four will be as good as the first, but I'm still just cautiously optimistic.
Old 07-08-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people seem to like Howard better than Schram, myself included.

Looking forward to this. Love Monk. Hopefully this is going to be a good one.
Old 07-09-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode for the interplay between Monk and Eels, but I just can't get past the fact that the San Francisco PD would need a consultant. Do they hire stupid cops?

I did like the conversation between Monk and his Dr.
Dr. - "He charges $400 an hour."
Monk - "Where were we?..."

I also like Monk's new assistant better.
Old 07-09-05, 09:33 AM

I liked this episode, but for me it was difficult to tell if Monk was truly back to first-season form or not since there was comparatively little Monk and a bit too much Jason Alexander. Next week's preview showed the return of Ambrose Monk and, as much as I loved John Turturro in that role, it worries me that season four is starting off with two consecutive episodes featuring big-name guest stars. I'm more interested in seeing more of just Monk and Natalie interacting at this point.

Still, last night was much better than most of the first half of season three, so I'm looking forward to the rest of this season. I've missed Mr. Monk.
Old 07-10-05, 03:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was ok.

I agree Monk was pushed to the rear this ep for Alexander's character. Looking forward to the return of Ambrose next week.
Old 07-10-05, 03:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Pretty easy to figure this one out when they slipped in the non-sequitur about Jason Alexander's mom's occupation.

Do quality control people really listen while you're on hold?
Old 07-10-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Do quality control people really listen while you're on hold?
I know I could hear people on my headset after I put them on hold when I worked at Toys R Us.

Best thing I ever heard was "Honey? Can you come over here and scratch my butt?"

While I liked Bitty (she had a "slutty mom" appeal) I really like Traylor. She interacts well with Monk.
Old 07-10-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I liked it. I think it was pretty obvious as to what was happened, even if we didn't know the specifics. I think Natalie was way under used in this episode, though.
Old 07-11-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"He's cheating!"

Great to have this show back.
Old 07-11-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Did you step in it?"
"If I stepped in it I would be in the back of that ambulance on my way to the emergency room, wouldn't I?
Old 07-11-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was disappointed with this episode. Too much Alexander, not enough fun. A very obvious case to boot.
Old 07-11-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
"Did you step in it?"
"If I stepped in it I would be in the back of that ambulance on my way to the emergency room, wouldn't I?
"...waiting for the sweet release that only death could bring."
Old 07-11-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I enjoyed it. Yeah, it was a lot of Alexander, but I thought it was a solid episode. Next week's episode looks even better.
Old 07-11-05, 01:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better than the early season 3 episodes (when Sharona was still there), but not as good as the later episodes when Natalie was around. I didn't like that Monk (the character) was pretty much shoved to the background for the season premiere. It might've been okay for a middle of the pack ep, but not a good way to start off the season.
Old 07-11-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the episode was disappointing, if only because Monk merely got lucky in order to solve the case. If that lady on the phone hadn't have broken silence and made him aware she was on the line, he would have never figured out the case. It didn't show that Monk is brilliant and he can't be replaced; he merely got lucky.
Old 07-11-05, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I thought the episode was disappointing, if only because Monk merely got lucky in order to solve the case. If that lady on the phone hadn't have broken silence and made him aware she was on the line, he would have never figured out the case. It didn't show that Monk is brilliant and he can't be replaced; he merely got lucky.
To be fair, that's pretty much been the pattern for every episode. Monk knows WHO did it, he just can't figure out HOW. Then, some coincidental thing happens that clues Monk into the solution.

There you go folks, now go out and write your very own Monk script.
Old 07-11-05, 03:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
To be fair, that's pretty much been the pattern for every episode. Monk knows WHO did it, he just can't figure out HOW. Then, some coincidental thing happens that clues Monk into the solution.

There you go folks, now go out and write your very own Monk script.
You forgot to add: "Monk is put in some sort of situation that puts him in an uncomfortable position to humorous effect."