Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTv NFL Sunday Ticket "Game Mix"???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirecTv NFL Sunday Ticket "Game Mix"???

Have you guys seen the info on this? You can watch 8 different games on one screen. Now that is pretty awesome. Almost enough to make me want to order the package now. The only reason I've held out is because in a Giants fan, and living in NY, I always get to see their game, then I just stick with whatever game is being shown before or after. But this is just so tempting. Does anyone know if that Game Mix screen will be in high def? Also, on DTV's site it says "For full Game Mix functionality, an interactive receiver is required." What exactly is an interactive receiver?

*EDIT* Forget the HD part, I found the answer to that in their FAQ's:
Q: Are the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Red Zone Channel, NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Game Mix and NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Short Cuts available in HD?
A: No, these features are available in standard-definition only.

Last edited by ylomnstr; 07-05-05 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This sounds interesting. I read somewhere that the cost of Sunday Ticket went up.. I can't remember how much.

This sounds interesting - I wonder if there will be any audio... of is that what an "interactive" box is for?

If anyone has anymore info please let us know.
Old 07-05-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the whole sunday ticket thing for next season has been quite the brouhaha over at AVS for awhile. short version is that DTV not only raised the price again this year but decided that HD customers needed to pay extra to get the HD games. it was $99 but then they lowered it to $49.

about the interactive reciever, here is some info: According to the DirecTV website, the Red Zone, Game Mix, and Short Cuts channels are not available in HD. Additionally, to fully utilize the Game Mix channel, “an interactive receiver is required”. Unfortunately, DirecTV’s HD receivers are not interactive – not even the HD-Tivo for which many customers paid $999 to purchase.

and a couple of useful links if anyone wants to research it a bit further:

http://www.nohdtax.com/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=20

Last edited by kevin75; 07-05-05 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 09:13 AM

Actually, the cost of the basic NFL package is now:

"Get the 2005 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ for 4 payments of $54.75 (available to existing DIRECTV customers only). That's a $20 savings off the regular-season price."

"Get 2005 NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ SuperFan™, an optional add-on for only $99 in 2 payments of $49.50."

So over $300 for the total package. That's a bit insane. I can safely say I won't be ordering it
Old 07-05-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is why I dropped DirecTV, it was like $160 2 years ago (maybe last year too)... and now $300 just so I can watch it in Hi Def? FU. I will get the ESPN game, ABC MNF game and 1 or 2 or maybe 3 HD games via Fox/CBS on Adelphia Cable...$300 is just overkill.
Old 07-06-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's see. I am a fan of an out of state team. So, I have to go to a bar to see them play. Plus I am in 2 fantasy leagues, so I still would want to see some other games as well that will not be shown in my area.

$20 a day (and believe me that would be a cheap day) for each Sunday I go would add up to more than the total package cost. I will purchase w/o a problem.
Old 07-06-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I didn't know that Americans paid that much for the basic NFL Sunday Ticket Package from Direct TV.
Old 07-06-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I didn't know that Americans paid that much for the basic NFL Sunday Ticket Package from Direct TV.

That's what happens when something (that was acquired for such an insane amount of money) is offered to only a small fraction of the population.

Personally, I think less than $20/week is a very reasonable price.
Old 07-06-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
That's what happens when something (that was acquired for such an insane amount of money) is offered to only a small fraction of the population.

Personally, I think less than $20/week is a very reasonable price.
Personally, I disagree. I'm paying $300 for a package where I get a buttload of games on one day, and nothing else. I can far more justify spending the $150 for the MLBEI package, knowing I'll have games every day of the month for 6 months. But that's just me.
Old 07-06-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I hope that this season's is a horrible bust and Direct TV has to think about redoing this deal and allowing cable companies to share.
Old 07-06-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
Personally, I disagree. I'm paying $300 for a package where I get a buttload of games on one day, and nothing else. I can far more justify spending the $150 for the MLBEI package, knowing I'll have games every day of the month for 6 months. But that's just me.

Well, keep in mind that baseball package is cheaper for 2 reasons: 1) far less demand and 2) it is available to all satellite and cable subscribers.
Old 07-06-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cusm
I hope that this season's is a horrible bust and Direct TV has to think about redoing this deal and allowing cable companies to share.

I instantly had the same thought when DTV set the new price and I saw the backlash in the avsforum. And keep in mind that 2005 is part of the old deal. Just think of how much more it will get jacked up next year to cover the huge escalation in rights fees.
Old 07-06-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Well, keep in mind that baseball package is cheaper for 2 reasons: 1) far less demand and 2) it is available to all satellite and cable subscribers.
No doubt. But again, I can far more justify spending half on something where I get 10x the amount of content.
Old 07-06-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
No doubt. But again, I can far more justify spending half on something where I get 10x the amount of content.

Well sure. However, it still depends on the content (what you like). For example, you could give me every NBA game, and I wouldn't give you a plumb nickel for it.
Old 07-06-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so Direct TV is the only place to get all the NFL games? wait, is that the same thing as The Dish? if so, that sucks. I've seen how badly reception can be (even when it's just cloudy). How's a brother supposed to catch all the games reliably? Is it worth it to switch? Red Dog, judging by your location, I assume you haven't had too much luck with Direct TV. I've got two months, I suppose to figure it out.
Old 07-06-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I assume you haven't had too much luck with Direct TV. I've got two months, I suppose to figure it out.

That's putting it mildly.

At least this season, my new HD setup I can pull in the Baltimore locals in addition to my DC locals, so that should give me a decent amount of extra games over the course of the season.
Old 07-06-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's putting it mildly.

At least this season, my new HD setup I can pull in the Baltimore locals in addition to my DC locals, so that should give me a decent amount of extra games over the course of the season.

so you now go with digital cable or satelite? Also, I wonder how long, if ever, down the road it will take for cable subscribers to have a NFL ticket-like option.
Old 07-06-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

so you now go with digital cable or satelite? Also, I wonder how long, if ever, down the road it will take for cable subscribers to have a NFL ticket-like option.

Digital cable.

Unless the deal made by D-TV for the NFL package turns into disaster for them, you won't see Sunday Ticket on cable until 2011 at the earliest.
Old 07-06-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Digital cable.

Unless the deal made by D-TV for the NFL package turns into disaster for them, you won't see Sunday Ticket on cable until 2011 at the earliest.

yeah, that's what I figured. I guess I'm happy as long as my skins are on. Still, it'll be a bitch when cbs or Fox cuts out games in overtime to go to King of the Hill reruns or doesn't show the late afternoon game for some retarded reason.
Old 07-06-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so Direct TV is the only place to get all the NFL games? wait, is that the same thing as The Dish? if so, that sucks. I've seen how badly reception can be (even when it's just cloudy). How's a brother supposed to catch all the games reliably? Is it worth it to switch? Red Dog, judging by your location, I assume you haven't had too much luck with Direct TV. I've got two months, I suppose to figure it out.
The Dish Network and DTV are different. And the reception on my DTV has been awesome. Winds, rain storms and snow storms it's been fine 99% of the time. Now cable in Chicago (Comcast) that was a complete nightmare for me.

The price point so far, for me, on the Sunday Ticket is okay. But if it does go up significantly in another year then my bar tab might be cheaper than getting the Ticket.
Old 07-06-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
For the first time in 4 years I'm NOT getting the NFL Sunday Ticket. Price is getting WAY too high and it's just not worth it anymore.

I'm ready to drop DTV anyway since to get HD & Tivo you need to pay them the "sale" price of $800 for an HD-DVR, while Comcast charges a total of $10/mo. for the same thing...