Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Something Rotten in Penn & Teller Bull****land?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is Something Rotten in Penn & Teller Bull****land?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 08:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, let's try to drop the petty bickering.
Old 07-08-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
So, are they going to be airing this episode on Showtime or what?
Old 07-08-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
They probably see it as just the opposite.
and they would be wrong
Old 07-08-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
You would

Yeah, any news about this hitting the air waves?
Old 07-14-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the first time I have seen anything about the fate of the Signs From Heaven episode that is purportably from Showtime itself. From the "Penn and Teller Bulletin Board":

http://www.network54.com/Forum/threa...&lp=1121394128

“Signs from Heaven” to air on Showtime

After numerous (and frustrating) phone calls to various Showtime representatives in NYC over the past week and a half, asking why “Signs from Heaven” (originally scheduled to air on July 4th) had been pulled, and having received no answer nor any reassurance that this episode might ever air, I finally decided to take it to the newspapers.

I am pleased to say that *New York Post* reporter Michael Starr (he has given me his permission to mention him by name here) called up Showtime yesterday and got them to give him an answer. He called me back with the following news from Showtime:

Michael was told by Showtime that the reason why “Signs from Heaven” was pulled was not because of pressure from the Catholic League but rather because Showtime felt that the holiday of July 4th wouldn’t bring in enough viewers for the episode. (Uh-huh. Ooo-kay.) They also told Michael that “Signs from Heaven” has now been rescheduled to air on July 25th.

Of course, Showtime’s website (as of the time I’m typing this) still states that the episode titled "The Best" is scheduled to air on July 25th, so we’ll have to see if that changes.

Michael Starr also mentioned to me that he may be doing up a write-up about this for the *New York Post*, as well. (I'd mentioned to Michael that the controversial episode featuring Mother Teresa has never been repeated -- at least not in the NYC area -- and we know that the Catholic League came out in force at the Showtime offices to protest that episode.)

Thank you, Michael Starr! You're a veritable pitbull. Major hails to you!

-- Rachaelle
Followup post:

I just received an e-mail from Tony Green of Showtime, confirming the information which was given to Michael Starr. Here's what was sent to me:

I have just been informed by our programming department that "Penn & Teller: Signs of Heaven" will air on July 25, 2005 at 10:00pm est/pst. If you could reply to this email so that we have confirmation you have received this information .

Thank you for your interest and for subscribing to Showtime..

Tony Green
Customer Service
Showtime Networks Inc.
1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019

Amat victoria curam!

("Victory favors those who take pains.")

-- Rachaelle
Now, of course, I can't vouch for this. And one has to wonder why Showtime didn't just say this in the first place instead of waiting 10 days to comment. Showtime's explanation seems a bit dodgy to me.

Anyway, if this is true I guess Signs From Heaven will be shown on July 25 and presumably, the season finale, The Best will be bumped to August 1. (A caveat: The Showtime schedule still shows The Best scheduled to air on July 25.)
Old 07-15-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I have no idea what's going on here, it does seem somewhat logical.

1) Showtime is ass at communicating with their viewers. This type of confusing schedule manipulation, with no communication to the public, happened with Odyssey 5 and Jeremiah.
2) If I were going to yank an episode at the last minute because of a holiday (for a show that does not need to be seen in order), I'd toss it in the next rerun spot or at the end of the season so as not to screw up the schedule for every subsequent episode. Assuming their "season finale" was produced in a way that warrants "finale" status, shoving it into that spot makes sense.

I agree that all of this seems pretty sketchy, but at least their actions are somewhat plausible, if a bit odd and annoying.

das
Old 07-15-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good news. It's official. Signs From Heaven is now on Showtime's schedule as airing on July 25 (NOTE: the episode will start 5 minutes later than usual). The Best is now scheduled for August 1.

Das, I didn't know that Showtime has done things such as this in the past, particularly being so uncommunicative with their viewers. Perhaps there was nothing sinister about this, maybe they just stink at customer service.

There is still the issue of Holier Than Thou missing fron VOD availability although that seems more a matter of program provider companies than of Showtime.

Last edited by movielib; 07-15-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-15-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Sounds like they have material for a Conspiracy Theories sequel.
Old 07-15-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 07-15-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
While changing the show from one date to another does seem suspicious, they do bring up a very good point. People just aren't home on holiday weekends, and there is almost never any original programming on them.
Old 07-15-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts
As earlier posters have pointed out, if you have Showtime On Demand, it's currently on the list of episodes to watch. The grilled-cheese stuff isn't nearly as much fun as the woman who thinks "the eyes of Jesus" are on a door in her house!
Old 07-18-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As earlier posters have pointed out, if you have Showtime On Demand, it's currently on the list of episodes to watch. The grilled-cheese stuff isn't nearly as much fun as the woman who thinks "the eyes of Jesus" are on a door in her house!
There used to be a crack on my bathroom ceiling that looked like Bob Hope's profile. He died about five years after I spackled over it. Freaky, no?
Old 07-18-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
People watch Maher's show? I tried, but it was a huge borefest, even more so than the recently cancelled Dennis Miller show.
Based on the 1 episode I caught, I'd have to agree. What got me was the "guests" that he had on for "discussion". It was Alec Baldwin, and about 3 other way lefties. No moderates. No conservatives.

So the discussion was just a bunch of Bush bashing, followed by 3 or 4 rounds of "yeah, exactly, great point". Yawn.
Old 07-18-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Based on the 1 episode I caught, I'd have to agree. What got me was the "guests" that he had on for "discussion". It was Alec Baldwin, and about 3 other way lefties. No moderates. No conservatives.

So the discussion was just a bunch of Bush bashing, followed by 3 or 4 rounds of "yeah, exactly, great point". Yawn.
On occasion I have seen 1 conservative on there. The show is still hard to watch because the audience is always rude to any conservative. I don't mind the show, actually. I find Bill to generally have reason behind his beliefs and when he is called to the carpet about something he is generally gracious. He thinks of religion about like Penn & Teller, though.
Old 07-18-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Good news. It's official. Signs From Heaven is now on Showtime's schedule as airing on July 25 (NOTE: the episode will start 5 minutes later than usual). The Best is now scheduled for August 1.

Das, I didn't know that Showtime has done things such as this in the past, particularly being so uncommunicative with their viewers. Perhaps there was nothing sinister about this, maybe they just stink at customer service.

There is still the issue of Holier Than Thou missing fron VOD availability although that seems more a matter of program provider companies than of Showtime.
Great news. I was afraid I'd have to last out the whole month without being able to hear Mother****ing Teresa from my TV. Great stuff.