Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Has the Sopranos been cancelled ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 09:51 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Has the Sopranos been cancelled ?

I've started watching the Sopranos from the beginning, just through Season 1.

Has the show now been cancelled ? or is it coming back ?
Old 06-25-05, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Has the show now been cancelled ? or is it coming back ?
It's coming back........in 9 months

The Emmy-winning mob drama has only recently gone back into production, filming the opening episodes of its sixth and what may or may not be its final season. (Creator David Chase, ever the artful dodger, is now dropping hints that there could be a seventh year.) ``The Sopranos'' won't be back on Sunday nights until March -- another nine months of waiting.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/mercuryn...ercurynews_eye
Old 06-25-05, 09:58 AM

Season six is set to debut in March 2006 and they've been saying for about a year now that it will be the last season. Current rumblings suggest the possibility of a seventh season or feature film, but I haven't heard anything definitive one way or the other.

(Edit: Simulpost strikes again! )

Last edited by Second Guest; 06-25-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-25-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do wish they would end this series. Not that I don't enjoy it, not that I don't mind buying the season sets, but it's just that at the beginning of the series, you get a definate feeling there is an arc for these characters and a destiny for them all. I originally heard that it was going to be four seasons and that would be it, but they keep on prolonging the life of this thing and it's going to turn in to just crap if they keep it around too long and lose the vision of any kind of plan for character arcs they had in the beginning.

As for Tony Soprano
Spoiler:
if the show ends in any other way then him getting killed, I will be disappointed. I always felt his character would only pay off if in the last episode he got killed.
Old 06-25-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I've heard rumblings there may be a seventh season, but perhaps culled from this production cycle, and possibly shorter than the normal season. At least this would mean it wouldn't be another two year wait for the next season. That was a rumor anyway.
Old 06-26-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love it if they had it ending with Chris either ratting him out or taking him down and claiming the throne.
Old 06-27-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HBO's been running behind-the-scenes spots from the set of Season 6. Gotta keep it fresh in everyone's mind I guess.
Old 06-28-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrBob
I would love it if they had it ending with Chris either ratting him out or taking him down and claiming the throne.
Thats my guess. The apprentice taking his throne. if Chris gets his.
Old 06-28-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Gandolfini is quoted in the latest issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY that David Chase has added some new wrinkes...both physically and emotionally...to Tony Soprano in the final season. Apparantly, he's more of a man who knows his career is "winding down". Also, Gandolfini is sporting a goatee in the picutre that's in the latest EW...I'm wondering if Tony has one during Season 6?
Old 06-28-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrBob
I would love it if they would just end it. It's a great show that's been ruined by overhype and long pauses. I don't understand why they can't do a yearly schedule like normal shows. It's so long between seasons that it's really hard to maintain my interest. I'll give it some time and maybe pick up the DVDs some day. I'm sure it's much better not so spread out.
Old 06-28-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Guest
Season six is set to debut in March 2006 and they've been saying for about a year now that it will be the last season. Current rumblings suggest the possibility of a seventh season or feature film, but I haven't heard anything definitive one way or the other.
No feature film. Chase has said the final season will be longer (approximately 19 episodes) in order to completely tie up everything he's started and get where he wants everything to go.

I too would like some closure and have the show go out on a high note. Waiting so long for the new seasons is killing me... at least I have S5 to rewatch thanks to the DDD sale.
Old 06-28-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
No feature film. Chase has said the final season will be longer (approximately 19 episodes) in order to completely tie up everything he's started and get where he wants everything to go.
That's good news. I was very worried that the series would end on a cliffhanger to be resolved 2-3 years later in a theatrical feature.

Of all the ways for the show to end, I really hope Tony doesn't get arrested or turn snitch. Those would be sad ways to finish off a great character.
Old 06-28-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, awesome news. Actually I heard awhile back that s6 was only going to be 10 episodes, so this comes as great news if true.
Old 06-28-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I'd be very surprised if they ran 19 straight episodes. I have to think they will break them up and put a half-year wait btwn them
Old 06-28-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I think the plan is to film 19 episodes at once, but air them as a 13 episode installment and a later 6 episode finale. Whether you want to count the extra episodes as a new season is your own choice
Old 06-28-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
Well I think the plan is to film 19 episodes at once, but air them as a 13 episode installment and a later 6 episode finale. Whether you want to count the extra episodes as a new season is your own choice
I'll bet they sell it as a separate box set.
Old 06-29-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
That's similar to the rumblings I have heard and mentioned above, though that's a little more detail than I had heard to this point.
Old 06-29-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nazz
I'll bet they sell it as a separate box set.
Well they did a similar thing with Sex and the City's final season - DVD sets were season 6 part 1 & 2.
Old 06-29-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they did a similar thing with Sex and the City's final season - DVD sets were season 6 part 1 & 2.
Well there you go then. It's bad enough that HBO boxes are so expensive to begin with.
Old 06-30-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I would love it if they would just end it. It's a great show that's been ruined by overhype and long pauses. I don't understand why they can't do a yearly schedule like normal shows. It's so long between seasons that it's really hard to maintain my interest. I'll give it some time and maybe pick up the DVDs some day. I'm sure it's much better not so spread out.

It helps for me that I didn't start watching the show until right before the start of season 5. I'm rewatching it now, midway through 3, and to be honest I'm enjoying it even more. But I agree don't let this show run to long, I like the 19 episode idea that they are mentioning to give the show an epic final season.