Penn & Teller Bull****: Schedule for Second Half of the Season

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no P&T show tonight as the boys are taking a week off. At this near-midpoint of season three I thought we might talk about the rest of this season which looks to be a lot better than the first half. Here's the schedule:

33. 3-7 13-Jun-2005 Big Brother
34. 3-8 20-Jun-2005 Hair
35. 3-9 27-Jun-2005 Gun Control
36. 3-10 04-Jul-2005 Signs From Heaven
37. 3-11 11-Jul-2005 Ghost Buster
38. 3-12 18-Jul-2005 Endangered Species
39. 3-13 25-Jul-2005 The Best

For myself, I'm looking forward to them in this order:

1.) Endangered Species (I have this thing about environmentalism as you all know; I hope they continue to do at least one big environmental topic each season.)

2.) Gun Control (Gun ownership and the right to self defense is of great importance; lots of bullshit surrounds gun control.)

3.) Signs From Heaven (This looks like it will include such things as Jesus on a taco; an easy target but it should be hilarious.)

4.) Big Brother (9-11 has been used as an excuse for way too much invasion of privacy and erosion of rights.)

5.) Ghost Buster (Should be a good, traditional-type Bullshit show.)

6.) Hair (Just doesn't seem too thrilling.)

Not ranked - The Best (If it's a clip show, forget it. Unneeded. We'll have to wait and see what it's all about.)

What do the rest of you Bullshit fans think?
Old 06-06-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I think "Endangered Species" and "Signs from Heaven" look to be most promising.
Old 06-06-05, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I predict many that the same people who agree with the "Big Brother" show will disagree with the "Gun Control" show (and vice versa).
Old 06-06-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
I predict many that the same people who agree with the "Big Brother" show will disagree with the "Gun Control" show (and vice versa).

Bold prediction.
Old 06-06-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope one of the upcoming ones is a good "Expose This Asshole as a Fraud" episode. Some of the recent ones have been a little closer to opinion than straight-up bullshit. Not that I disagree with those opinions or don't enjoy the episodes, but I like it when they just throw some asshole under the bus. I hope there's some of that coming up.

das
Old 06-07-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
agree with das.

Should certainly be better than the first half. Easily.
Old 06-07-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm looking forward to "Gun Control," "Big Brother," and "Endangered Species."

And congratulations are in order:

Jillette names daughter Moxie CrimeFighter

NEW YORK (AP) -- Comedian/magician Penn Jillette's latest stunt did not involve his usual sidekick, Teller: He became the father of a baby girl.

Jillette, 50, and his wife Emily, 39, welcomed Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette on Friday, according to publicist Glenn Schwartz. It was the first child for the couple, who married last year.

"We chose her middle name because when she's pulled over for speeding she can say, `But officer, we're on the same side,'" Jillette explained. "`My middle name is CrimeFighter.'"

The typically mute Teller had no comment on the new arrival.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...=ENTERTAINMENT

You gotta love Penn.
Old 06-07-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

I think he should have named her after kvrdave - 'Hannity.'
Old 06-07-05, 11:20 AM

Imagine having Penn Jillette as a dad. Out on the playground, "exposing" the other kids: "Then there's this asshole..."
Old 06-07-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is teh jist of Big Brother?

That our rites are being eroded, or that the uproar over our rites being eroded are bullshit?

As for endangered species, could it be that wildly differing numbers as far as extinctions? Or, that species have been killed off since the beginning of time, and only 'cute' species tend to make our lists?
Old 06-07-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
What is teh jist of Big Brother?

That our rites are being eroded, or that the uproar over our rites being eroded are bullshit?

My guess is bullshit such as this....

Ehrlich Decries Seat Belt Patrol
State Police Used Night Vision Gear to Spot Violators

By Ann E. Marimow
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 7, 2005; Page B05

A stealth experiment using night vision gear to catch drivers violating Maryland's seat belt law was shut down yesterday after Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. declared the tactics "government intrusion into private decision making."

Last week, as part of a national campaign to encourage drivers to wear seat belts, state troopers in Montgomery County borrowed gear from the Maryland National Guard. During a three-hour effort on Rockville Pike, the state police identified 111 unbuckled passengers or drivers, fined $25 each.

The operation, covered by local TV stations, set off complaints on talk radio the next day. It also caught the governor's attention.

"It caused a lot of anger to me when I found out about it," Ehrlich (R) said Saturday on WBAL-AM radio. "There is an issue with government intrusion into private decision making."

Yesterday, he directed the Maryland State Police to stop using the equipment for seat belt enforcement, although troopers said the program had ended last week.

The governor has opposed other recent efforts to clamp down on traffic violations for similar reasons. Ehrlich vetoed legislation two years ago to allow radar-activated speed cameras throughout the state and rejected a narrower bill last month that would have let Montgomery County install the cameras near schools and in residential neighborhoods.

"The governor has strong views on Big Brother tactics," spokeswoman Shareese N. DeLeaver said. "The governor feels there is an appropriate use of the night vision goggles, however, he does not believe seat belt enforcement rises to that level."

State Sen. Ida G. Ruben (D-Montgomery), who sponsored the seat belt law in 1997, called the governor's decision to discontinue to the use of the night vision devices "absolutely wrong."

"The police are trying to prevent accidents from happening where someone could be killed, rather than saved," she said.

Deploying the night vision equipment, she said, is the equivalent of setting a speed trap. "They are hiding on side streets to prevent people from speeding," Ruben said. "What's the difference?"

A spokesman for Col. Thomas E. Hutchins, the state police superintendent, who is an appointee of the governor, said the equipment had been returned to the National Guard.

"It was tried that one time and won't be tried again,'' state police spokesman Greg Shipley said.

The use of the night vision equipment -- a six- to eight-inch hand-held device with a single eyepiece -- reignited debate about the state's seat belt law. In Maryland last year, 49 percent of the 643 people who died in traffic collisions were not wearing a seat belt.

Gregory Massoni, Ehrlich's press secretary, said the governor always wears a seat belt and encourages other drivers to do so. But he said Ehrlich opposes the state law that allows police to ticket unbuckled drivers absent another traffic violation.

Maryland is one of 21 states, plus the District, that have what is known as "primary enforcement" of seat belt laws.

The tactics inspired feverish protest during all three hours of the Chip Franklin talk show on WBAL radio Thursday. Franklin said about two-thirds of his callers were livid about what they considered overzealous enforcement of the state's seat belt law. "Callers were frustrated to live in a state that treats them like they are 7 years old," he said. "It was just a scare tactic that went awry. It would be funny if it weren't so Orwellian."

The state police were assisted by the Montgomery County police. Lt. Eric Burnett, Montgomery police director of media services, was more circumspect. "I don't want to get into whether it's right or wrong,'' he said.

But he said the department has no plans to use the night vision gear it purchased for undercover investigations to track down seat belt violators.
Old 06-07-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Groucho

Imagine having Penn Jillette as a dad. Out on the playground, "exposing" the other kids: "Then there's this asshole..."
Poor kid.

As a side note, some "Libertarian" Penn must be. Married and now a kid? Say goodbye to that liberty shit.

das
Old 06-07-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Old 06-07-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Since it's a girl I'm partial to Miss Coulter Jillette.
Old 06-08-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
Not ranked - The Best (If it's a clip show, forget it. Unneeded. We'll have to wait and see what it's all about.)
I don't think P&T would do that. Maybe this will be about the idea of anything being "The Best" is bullshit.
Old 06-08-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I don't think P&T would do that. Maybe this will be about the idea of anything being "The Best" is bullshit.
Yeah, could be. I've thought of that. I hope you're right that P&T wouldn't do a clip show.
Old 06-08-05, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
It could be. Perhaps they will touch on the aspect of our culture that says any activity you attempt (job, hobby, sport, whatever), that if you aren't "the best" you might as well not be doing it at all. Or, what I like to call "STFU n00b" syndrome.
Old 06-08-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I'm now back in MD, I'm glad to hear Ehrlich's response. Now all he needs to do is build the ICC.