Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
wow, that was cool. Thanks.
Guys, go back a few pages and you'll see the pictures posted. There's the letter and Danielle's map. Interesting, but the script thing with the JJ Abrams watermark has to be just a joke, I would think?
Old 06-01-05, 11:13 PM
Suspended

OK, what new did we notice tonight? When trying to help the black woman, Boone says something to Jack about doing the "pen thing" on her lung...the exact thing Jack later did to Boone when he had his accident.
Old 06-02-05, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is that if Sawyer did survive, maybe he dodged the bullet, you see him kind of arc his body even before he is shot, expecting them to shoot at him. If not, maybe the bullet glazed him, there's many ways he could've lived. After all, it's just one bullet right? I mean 50 cent had 9 bullets in him and The Game got shot 5 times and still survived.

Remember when Ethan attacked by the sea? That time when he said he would kill one of them and he came by sea. I guess he used one of those pirate boats
Old 06-02-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I thought Sawyer got hit in the shoulder. The recoil from the shot suggested this.
Old 06-02-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Tyrone. Sawyer is "the one" and dodged the bullet Neo-style.

das
Old 06-02-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Interesting article by zap2it.com with Josh Holloway (Sawyer)...

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Calling in from the set of his new movie, "Whisper," in Vancouver, B.C., Josh Holloway has a few thoughts on the finale of ABC's "Lost."
"I was a little disappointed in the finale," says Holloway, who plays con man Sawyer on the hit series. "I liked it, but I didn't love it. The script was one thing, but they tried to do so much, I feel like that some things lost the power they had. But that's okay; it was still good."

After a season full of dangling plot threads and tantalizing clues, fans were hoping for some solid revelations at the end. What they got in the May 25 finale were some hints and a few surprises, but in the end, more questions than answers. And that goes for the actors as well.

"We don't get answers either," Holloway says. "So I'm like, 'Aaaarrrgh!' I'm assuming that's the way TV is. I'm excited personally to quit asking questions about the writers and what they do and just do my job."
"Lost" follows survivors of Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 from Sydney to Los Angeles, crashed on a tropical island a thousand miles off-course.

Spoiler:
In their month or so on the island, the castaways have discovered that it's no ordinary place, with polar bears, an invisible "security system," and the unseen "Others" whispering in the jungle.

They've also learned they're not alone. Mira Furlan plays Danielle Rousseau, survivor of a boat accident, who's been on her own for 16 years, and William Mapother played Ethan Rom, who faked being a crash survivor in order to pursue his own nefarious ends before being killed by one of the castaways. Both Danielle and Ethan showed a lot of interest in pregnant castaway Claire (Emilie de Ravin), both before and after she had her baby.

In the finale, Danielle stole the baby, hoping to trade it to "The Others" for a child stolen from her 16 years ago, but they had other plans. The Others -- or at least their scruffy, seagoing minions -- tracked Sawyer and fellow survivors Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and Michael (Harold Perrineau) as they set sail on a raft. They ultimately snatched Michael's young son, Walt (Malcolm David Kelley), instead of the baby, shooting Sawyer and leaving the raft ablaze.

Sharp-eyed viewers may have noticed something about the people on the boat, but if not, Holloway says, "There were twins, which I don't know if you could tell. They were identical twins, which was really spooky. There again, that wasn't emphasized."

There also may be more footage showing what happened everyone was forced off the raft. "They filmed some stuff of us in the water that they cut out," Holloway says. "I'm wondering if they're saving that for the premiere. I'm hoping that it wasn't for no reason, because it was cold and it was three in the morning when we got there."

Loyal Sawyer fans probably noted that he had a new hairstyle on the raft, trading in his free-flowing locks for a samurai-style ponytail.

"I've been really having a hard time just with the logistics of the frickin' hair," Holloway says, "and trying to work with the hair whipping in your face all the time, because we shoot outside on the beach, right? I was thinking about that, on the raft, God, it's going to be coming from all directions! So I came up with that little idea. It worked great. I could actually see."

In one of the episode's unexpected moments, high-school science teacher Arzt (Daniel Roebuck) was helping the castaways deal with some old, unstable dynamite when he was suddenly blown to pieces.

"That was one of the best deaths I've seen," Holloway says. "'A shower of meat,' as it was described in the script. We were like, 'Oooh, God!,' but even that could have been a little more Tarantino-ish, if you will. It needed a little more blood."

Since he went to work on "Whisper" the day after "Lost" wrapped in late April, Holloway didn't exactly get to have a viewing party for the finale. "I watched it in my hotel room after we wrapped at three in the morning here," he says. "That's how I've seen the last four episodes, actually, because I've been working every day."

Since Sawyer is currently underwater and his fate unknown, fans may have to wait a bit to see another scene between him and Jack Shepard (Matthew Fox), the neurosurgeon who has become the castaways' de facto leader. That would be a shame, since the fireworks between them is one of the show's most entertaining elements.

"They're like two brothers who were separated at birth," Holloway says. "They're two sides of the same thing. Sawyer's just had a different life experience. He was raised more on the darker side of life. I find it really interesting because Matthew and I work kind of similar. He's the kind of person I can sit next to and not have to say a word to and just get it. We really don't have to talk that much, like brothers.

"When we've got a big scene to do, we're not all joking with each other. We don't even talk to each other. Then after the scene, we give each other a big hug. That chemistry, and the way we work, comes through on screen. So I find a scene with Foxy to be very intense, but easy to do, because he's right there, on fire, and I'm right there. It just works."
Spoiler:
I didn't catch the identical twins on the "Others" boat.
Old 06-02-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Could 'There not the Survivors they thought they were' mean that we find other survivors from the crash elswhere on the island (remember how walt mentioned the island was so huge) and the other survivors have had a HORRIBLE time surviving the last month...maybe all under captivity of the Others (which can be told through THIER flashbacks)
Old 06-02-05, 04:43 PM

I'm trying to go over what new information we learned about the "monster" in the season finale. I'm just going from memory, so please add stuff I have left out or correct any mistakes I have made.

Throughout the season, the circumstantial evidence leaned strongly in favor of the monster being a T-Rex (or Allosaurus or other family-member of the otherwise extinct carnivore). It made a roaring sound, similar to what we might believe a T-Rex would make. Trees were knocked down by the monster, implying that it was quite big and had great strength -- again, very much in-line with what we might expect of a T-Rex. To be honest, I was hoping we would indeed see a T-Rex in the season finale (with Jurrassic Park CGI quality, of course).

But this was not the case. Instead, I'm not quite sure what we did see. The scenes in which the monster "appears" were very brief and not revealing. Here is what I recall happening (again, please add to or correct my memory):

Jack, Kate, and Locke encounter the monster in the jungle. We see something zip by around them very quickly. It looks like a cloud of black smoke. It goes by so fast that we can't really tell what it is. Kate says "Did you see that?" Jack acknowledges. But we aren't sure what it is. It definitely was not a T-Rex.

The monster then grabs Locke and drags him back through the jungle. The monster then apparently goes down a hole and attempts to pull Locke down the hole with it. This certainly is not the behavior of a T-Rex, which we would not expect to live in a hole nor attempt to drag its prey down into a hole. Furthermore, we hear what appears to be a mechanical sound as Locke is pulled through the jungle. This would imply that whatever is pulling him is at least part machine in some sense.

Jack tells Kate to drop dynamite down the hole -- apparently to kill the monster or at least force it to let go of Locke. She complies. But what happens then? We again see some sort of cloud of black smoke rise above the hole. But is this the "monster" leaving the hole or is this just smoke resulting from the explosion? This part was unclear to me. The cloud of black smoke then dissipates... or does it zip away back into the jungle?

Is this a more or less accurate re-cap of the scenes involving the monster from the finale? Thanks!
Old 06-03-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Can't remember exactly which program it was, but I was flipping around the other night and landed on some entertainment tabloid-style show like Entertainment Tonight. They were discussing the finale and the start of next season and said...
Spoiler:
that one of the male leads on the show was being written off at the beginning of next season. Said he was quite unhappy with the decision and threatening to refuse to come back at all unless he receives a full season's pay. Supposedly the creators are now putting it in all the actor's contracts that they can be written off at any point without warning.
Seems like those entertainment shows are hit or miss on their news, but they had interviews with multiple cast members during the story, so I'm assuming they at least have some idea of what they're talking about.
Old 06-05-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by hahn
On the www.oceanic-air.com, I was just poking around and as I highlighted the "Important Announcement" note on the right side of the homepage, I found a .jpg that was partially included in the announcement.
THat's weird: When I highlighted the "announcement", it reveals some text underneath, and it floats apart so you can read it:
Robert D. West, of Santa Barbara, California, USA survived a horrific plane crash and is stranded on an island somewhere Northeast of Australia and Southwest of Hawaii. In the event that I am never found, please forward word of my fate to parents, Mr. and Mrs. John West, of Tucson Arizona. Thank you.
Maybe one of the notes that were put in the bottle?
Old 06-05-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
My brother-in-law says the Others/pirates keep making him think of the Michael Caine movie, THE ISLAND. Too bad it isn't available on DVD because now I want to know what the fuck he's talking about.
Old 06-05-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ Nice. So since you feel slighted by your brother you come here to post the info only to slight everyone else as well. Bastard.
Old 06-05-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It's on VHS, but I'll be damned if I am buying a copy off of Amazon.
Old 06-05-05, 11:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
THat's weird: When I highlighted the "announcement", it reveals some text underneath, and it floats apart so you can read it: Maybe one of the notes that were put in the bottle?
If you look at the source of the page, you will also see this:

If anyone should find this message, please get word to Sandra Rafflethorpe of Palm Avenue in Lewiston, Idaho that her sister, Sally is alive and stranded on an island somewhere in the South Pacific. Please send help soon. Things are bad. And they're getting worse...

Sally
Old 06-06-05, 12:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
More from sources of other pages:

This is Bob Jones, of Tulsa Oklahoma and I would like to inform the First National Bank of Enid that I will be late making my September mortgage payment as I am STRANDED ON A FRIGGIN’ ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! Please have the government send a search team immediately or don’t all the taxes I pay cover an expense like that?

BJ

If you are reading this note PLEASE get word to my wife, Christina Smith that her husband, Jake survived the crash of Oceanic Flight #815 along with 47 others. Darling, I miss you so much and dream of the day I can see your face again. The very thought of that day is all that keeps me going here. Please don’t forget me!

Jake Smith
Old 06-06-05, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PeMo
More from sources of other pages:

This is Bob Jones, of Tulsa Oklahoma and I would like to inform the First National Bank of Enid that I will be late making my September mortgage payment as I am STRANDED ON A FRIGGIN’ ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! Please have the government send a search team immediately or don’t all the taxes I pay cover an expense like that?

BJ
LOL, hadn't seen that one.
Old 06-06-05, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
My brother-in-law says the Others/pirates keep making him think of the Michael Caine movie, THE ISLAND. Too bad it isn't available on DVD because now I want to know what the fuck he's talking about.
Here's what I found at http://www.citizencaine.org/films/island.shtml regarding the Caine movie.

The movie actually sounds pretty funny:

The Island

Director: Michael Ritchie
Screenwriter: Peter Benchley
Starring: Michael Caine, David Warner, Angela Punch McGregor, Dudley Sutton
Release details: Universal Pictures, USA 1980, 108mins
Full details: IMDb
Genre: Horror
Rating: 0 out of 10

After the trio of The Swarm, Ashanti and Beyond the Poseidon Adventure - flops, but fun - Caine made The Island, the story of journalist Blair Maynard (Caine) who, with bratty son in tow, sets off to the caribbean to investigate the disappearances of over 60 tourists in a year.

After an eventful journey which includes buying his teenage son a gun (great parenting skills), his plane crashing and a run-in with the stereotypical British colonial policeman (Zakes Mokae, whose career has apparently been built on monopolising that role), Caine takes a break to go fishing with his son. And this is where it all gets a bit shaky. Maynard and son are captured by pirates. Not any pirates, but a race of buccaneers who have been living in isolation for 300 years and who talk and act as if it's still 1680, not 1980. Unfortunately, interbreeding has led to a very depleted gene pool and they see Caine's son as the answer to their problems. Their leader (David Warner) wants to adopt the boy and his initiation into this society will be to kill his father.

The script is by Peter Benchley, based on his own novel. Benchley also wrote Jaws, which was turned into one of the greatest action films ever made, the first real summer blockbuster and an enduring staple of holiday programming. Of course, it also spawned one okay and two dreadful sequels, one of which stars Caine himself. Benchley is clearly suffering from the Stephen King/John Grisham ratio - 4 crap movie adaptations (Jaws 2,3,4 and this) to every good one (Jaws). What may have worked as a novel, where the imagination can conjure worse horrors than even Wes Craven could produce, makes for an outstandingly bad movie.

For a start, you have to hear the buccaneers speak - a dreadful, almost unintelligible mush of Benchley's idea of 17th century English. There are plot holes you could sail a galleon through: why, for example, do they pick Caine's son as their farm stud when there's only one woman on show (Angela Punch McGregor)? Just before kidnapping the Maynard brat, they attack a drug running boat full of nubile young women; surely, stealing those women and spreading the gene pool wider is the better genetic choice here?

There are some of the worst special effects ever committed to film; the opening scene of pirates axing rubber heads is so bad it's not even laughable. And to cap it all, Caine's son, who has a clearly pivotal role, is played by one of the worst child actors ever to grace any screen.

Everybody looks embarrassed by appearing in this film, and so they should. It's not just one of Michael Caine's worst movies, but one of the worst movies ever made
Old 06-06-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More from oceanic-air seating chart:

Old 06-07-05, 08:52 AM

Finally got around to watching the finale and I was happy with the way it was left, gave enough answers away for me, and still left a lot unanswered (I definitely like to be kept in the dark so I can try to figure out what's going on!!). That being said - if they get to the end of next season and don't answer any it will get a tad tedious!

I think that the writers will find themselves in a diffucult situation now - if they give too many answers away it could spoil the whole appeal of the show, and if they don't give enough - fans will start to turn off (As proved with this thread!)

only time will tell....
Old 06-07-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the way it ended too. They can raise many more questions, but for most folks(not me) they need to reveal what's in the hatch ASAP or I feel their viewership is going to drop quickly. Just read through the 22 pages of this thread to get an idea for what I mean.

I myself will stick around for the ride letting the writers reveal to me whatever they want whenever they want and however they want. I hate when a show panders to the viewers demands. So to that I say, let the impatient viewers go and do your show the way you want.
Old 06-07-05, 09:49 AM

I'm with you on that Michael, but if too many viewers leave the show might end up getting cancelled, and the writers wont have chance to tell the story their way!

I still think that it's a shame the show hasn't reached the UK where I am. I've been telling people over here how good it is since ep1 and still it hasn't aired! (the channel that is due to chow it decided to screen Point Pleasant instead - great choice there wasn't it!)
Old 06-07-05, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to remember that most of the voices here are not representative of the 18 million people that regularly watch the show. Most of those people, don't discuss the show on the Internet and are happy to just enjoy the show week from week.

Personally, as I've stated before, I liked the season ender and felt that the only satisfying cliffhanger was to leave the last impression of the hatch as it was. Plus we got the surprising kidnapping of young Walt by The Others. Didn't see that coming and it adds a whole new twist.

Plus small spoiler:

Spoiler:
I tried to link to the story yesterday but couldn't. But JJ Abrams told Kevin & Bean on KROQ 106.7 in Los Angeles last week that the survivors of the raft will end up either on a different island or on a different part of the island. I only saw a little blurb and it wasn't clear as to what he said. So that will open up another direction for the show to take.

Chris
Old 06-07-05, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Plus small spoiler:

Spoiler:
I tried to link to the story yesterday but couldn't. But JJ Abrams told Kevin & Bean on KROQ 106.7 in Los Angeles last week that the survivors of the raft will end up either on a different island or on a different part of the island. I only saw a little blurb and it wasn't clear as to what he said. So that will open up another direction for the show to take.

Chris
Kevin and Bean's website (or KROQ's, if you will) seems to archive their interviews - there is an old one with JJ and a more recent one with Daniel Dae Kim, if you're interested. But I didn't see last week's with JJ. Thanks for the heads up and info though.

http://www.kroq.com/kevinandbean/sounds.html

Last edited by aktick; 06-07-05 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-10-05, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by hector031
They probably would have had plenty of time if they would have gotten rid of the plane montage at the end of the show.
I found the finale to be extremely compelling mainly due to the plane montage and an attempt to tie some of the survivors lives together pre-flight. I really like the interaction between Walt and Hurley and Jack and Locke. The plane montage was the pay-off for the season and cutting it out just to look down some stupid shaft that will probably create more questions than answers would have been detrimental to the show. This show is outstanding and I for one do not mind waiting a few short months (during which I can watch new episodes of Rescue Me, The 4400, and Battlestar Galactica) until we get new episodes, which may have answers to questions, but most likely will just keep creating new ones.
Old 06-10-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
An intersting e-mail I got from someone who looked on IMDB:

"Exodus: Part 3" Episode: #1.25 - 25 May 2005

George Alan.... Flight Attendent

Michelle Arthur.... Michelle

Wendy Braun.... Gina

Glenn Cannon.... Old Scooter Man

John Dixon.... JD

Jonathan Dixon.... JD

Robert Frederick.... Jeff

Mira Furlan.... Danielle Rousseau

M.C. Gainey.... Bearded Man

Mark Kalaugher.... Security Agent

Fredric Lehne... Marshal (as Fredric Lane)

Madison.... Vincent

Daniel Roebuck.... Leslie Arzt

Ruz Rusden.... Airport Cop

Mary Ann Thoeny... Gate Agent

Suzanne Turner.... Ticket Agent #2

John Walcutt.... Hawaiian Shirt

"Genesis: Part 1" Episode: #2.1 - 21 September 2005

Glenn Cannon.... Priest Hendrix

Sarah Clarke .... Asylum Patient

Samuel L. Jackson.... Bernard

Michelle Rodriguez.... Ana-Lucia

Angus Scrimm.... Mr. Meahpares

John Terry.... Dr. Christian Shephard

Tina Wesson... Alex Rousseau

Things to note:

Alex Rousseau is listed as cast for the next season, that is the French woman’s daughter. The actress who is playing her was born in 1960 and won Survivor a few seasons back.

Michelle Rodriquez will be back, she was the chick who was talking to jack in the airport bar.

Samuel L Jackson will be in the next season opener.

‘bearded man’ is the name of the boat captain

What about the two Johns? They appear twice for the same character name. Might the two other guys from the boat be twins? The same two names appear in episode 1 and 2 as flight attendants.. Might these two be from another part of the crash and took up with the others?

Last edited by bahgee; 06-10-05 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added Spoiler Tags

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.