Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Exodus, Part One" -- 05.18.2005

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Groucho that the writers already planned some stuff out in advance. We do see a lot of questions are being resolved in later episodes. Where in Twin Peaks, we just get a lot of mysteries that are never answered.
Old 05-20-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
They're making it up as they go along.
From what I've read, the creators are aware of the "X-Files Syndrome", where continuing story arcs never get resolved, get ridiculously convoluted, and ultimately leave questions unanswered.

Based on what I've seen so far, the Lost writing team appears to have a clear direction in mind, at least for the first couple of seasons.

I don't necessarily mind be strung along over the course of a season as long as there is some degree of satisfying resolution by the season ender.

Some questions answered, some new ones raised. That's to be expected, and is the nature of dramatic episodic television with a continuing story arc. There has to be some carrot dangling over our heads to make us want to keep coming back, and my take is the Lost writers know they have to dole out some conclusions in order to avoid ticking off viewers.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-20-05 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
Ya think Shannon recognized Saayid from the "watch my bag" incident, or did she just hook up on the island with a guy who looks...umm...Arab?
I think she had no idea who she was banging. She doesn't seem like the type to remember someone like that.
Old 05-20-05, 02:53 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd say Jin and Sun stole the show. Except for the guy who plays Locke, they are the 2 best actors on the show.

Agreed on both counts. Count me in as another who felt their reconciliation scene was the scene of the episode, and one of the best of the season. Tremendous.

I also thought the interaction between Locke and Hurley in the jungle/dark territory was terrific.
Old 05-20-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by the aftermath
I think she had no idea who she was banging. She doesn't seem like the type to remember someone like that.
I don't remember seeing her even really look up from her magazine/book when he asked if he could leave the bag. Maybe she never even saw his face. Maybe someone can confirm?
Old 05-20-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Exclusive pictures of the monster from the island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-05, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh

Agreed on both counts. Count me in as another who felt their reconciliation scene was the scene of the episode, and one of the best of the season. Tremendous.

I also thought the interaction between Locke and Hurley in the jungle/dark territory was terrific.
Completely agree as well, but I'll add the Walt-giving-up-his-dog scene to that list. 3 terrific, well-acted and touching scenes in one episode.
Old 05-20-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I saw that shit in the island, I'd be scare shitless.
Old 05-20-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by datagirl7
I don't remember seeing her even really look up from her magazine/book when he asked if he could leave the bag. Maybe she never even saw his face. Maybe someone can confirm?
well she did alert securtiy and told them "some Arab guy left a duffle bag unattended."

I think her hooking up with him was a just a big slap in the face to Boone. Sayid was the only one listening to her and treating her with respect, who cares what happened prior to getting on the plane. So she saw him, so what, they have to discuss that on screen? A lot of the characters would have been close or maybe interacted at the airport. They were on the same flight and would have been sitting at the same gate.
Old 05-20-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by datagirl7
She did move her head up a little bit from her magazine, but not even close to high enough to see Sayid's face. So now I'm positive she had no idea who he was.
Old 05-20-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dom56
Good episode. The scene with Jin and Sun reconciled was very moving. I noticed that Jin still have part of the handcuff on him, why did'nt he did'nt tried to take it off.
Yeah...I mean, wouldn't he accidentally bump it from time to time, making it tighter and tighter as the shows went on? You'd think, eventually, this would be a pressing issue.
Old 05-20-05, 10:46 PM

"I think Leslie's a bitchin' name."

Jin wearing that handcuff all these weeks.
Old 05-21-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Yeah...I mean, wouldn't he accidentally bump it from time to time, making it tighter and tighter as the shows went on? You'd think, eventually, this would be a pressing issue.
You can set handcuffs so they don't get any tighter. I, uh, can't tell you how I know this.
Old 05-21-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You can set handcuffs so they don't get any tighter. I, uh, can't tell you how I know this.
Orange! Orange! Orange!
Old 05-21-05, 06:30 PM

ABC has posted a new clip for the finale:
Go here, click on video and it currently is at the top. WARNING: IT HAS HUGE, HUGE SPOILERS in it!

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/

You've been warned.
Old 05-21-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
I'm hoping the "invisible T-rex" is just a guy with a couple of loud speakers and a tape player.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Old 05-22-05, 12:36 AM

After watching it, it seemed like apart from the goodbye scenes, and stuff that was shown in the previews, mostly it was flashback stuff. So it's possible they took older footage from the flashbacks shown and found a way to stretch it for the 40 minutes. All the current stuff could have fit into a 2 hour finale.

Just an observation, after hearing some say the show drags out epiosodes and another side that says there is great character development.
Old 05-22-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Go here, click on video and it currently is at the top. WARNING: IT HAS HUGE, HUGE SPOILERS in it!

You've been warned.
Their crappy site doesn't work with Firefox, so you have to use Internet Explorer to watch it.
Old 05-22-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20

You've been warned.
Spoiler:
Daniel is the T-Rex too