Penn & Teller: Bull****: "Life Coaching" - 5/16/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT (Repeated one hour later).

Today, it's hip to have a therapist. In fact, you're really "in" if you skip doc's diagnosis and head straight to a "Life Coach" for motivation. The training of psychologists, psychiatrists and other mental health "professionals" does little or nothing to make them better equipped as counselors or therapists. We'll reveal the bullshit that Freud made famous, and we'll find out what the experts think about the degree to which drug therapy is being used. Is it really helping? Or, are we over-medicating our way to an unknown future.

We'll expose the truth behind the lucrative mind games industry, tracing its history to the father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud. We'll weave our way through all the trends in psychobabble, including the latest scam, life coaching. We'll catch coaches in action as they celebrate International Coaching Week with an array of events and activities. To top it all off, we'll create our own psychotherapist and thread him throughout the show. Skip the therapy & coaching, talk to a good friend and take some notes during this episode of Bullshit!
Can't help but think of Nip/Tuck.

(Next week: Holier Than Thou)
Old 05-16-05, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought the whole life coaching thing was made up when I saw on Nip/Tuck. This should be good.
Old 05-16-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib

(Next week: Holier Than Thou)

Now that I can't wait for.
Old 05-16-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-16-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
1. Pajamas stay on the whole time.
2. No SEX. (Yep, you read that right.)
3. A) Kissing and nuzzling, as well as other forms of touch, are allowed, but you must ask permission and receive a verbal YES before you touch anyone.
B) You don't have to cuddle anyone at a Cuddle Party, ever.
4. If you're a yes, say YES. If you're a no, say NO.
5. If you're a maybe, say NO.
6. You are encouraged to change your mind from a yes to a no, no to a yes anytime you want.
7. NO DRY HUMPING!
8. If you're in a relationship, communicate and set your boundaries and agreements BEFORE you go to the Cuddle Party. Don't re-negotiate those agreements/boundaries during the Cuddle Party. (Trust us on this one.)
9. Get your Cuddle Lifeguard On Duty or Cuddle Caddy if there's a concern, problem, or question or should you feel unsafe or need assistance with anything during the Cuddle Party.
10. Crying and giggling are both welcomed and encouraged.
11. Please be respectful of other people's privacy when sharing with the outside world about Cuddle Parties and DO NOT GOSSIP.
12. Arrive on time.
13. Be hygienically savvy.
14. Keep the cuddle space tidy and pick up after yourself.
15. Always say thank you and practice good Cuddle Manners.

# 7
Old 05-17-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely like P&T's notion of a cuddle party better anyway.
Old 05-17-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
"Life Coaching" just sounds like bullshit, doesn't it?
Old 05-17-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
This was definitely the best one of the season. Such an easy target. $250 for a few office supplies.
Old 05-18-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
This was definitely the best one of the season. Such an easy target. $250 for a few office supplies.
There were audio cd's and a 40 page workbook, man! Can't you see the value?
Old 05-18-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually thought this was pretty boring. In fact, I have thought that about most of this season. What's next, are they going to tell me that wishing wells are bullshit? I know that, and it doesn't take a genius to see it. Life Coaching? Just a crap episode because I never had thought in my own head even somewhat challenged.

The best shows are where they take something that most people buy into, like the dangers of second hand smoke, environmentalism, etc. The next best shows are when they expose an industry that not everyone knows is a scam, like the one about funeral homes.

Anyway, I hope they quit sucking. I'll keep watching because I enjoy them, but the content needs to get better.
Old 05-18-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I actually thought this was pretty boring. In fact, I have thought that about most of this season. What's next, are they going to tell me that wishing wells are bullshit? I know that, and it doesn't take a genius to see it. Life Coaching? Just a crap episode because I never had thought in my own head even somewhat challenged.

The best shows are where they take something that most people buy into, like the dangers of second hand smoke, environmentalism, etc. The next best shows are when they expose an industry that not everyone knows is a scam, like the one about funeral homes.

Anyway, I hope they quit sucking. I'll keep watching because I enjoy them, but the content needs to get better.
I completely agree with you. I ordered showtime and it's Bullshit! that I'm paying to have them tell me about things I don't care about at all.

And I still drink bottled water.
Old 05-18-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to reluctantly agree that this season has been way subpar. I couldn't even get myself to write a post about the last show. The one that could have been good, Conspiracy Theories, was spread so thin that nothing was covered well. Two of the others have just been meh. Family Values has been the one that was a little more interesting but it still doesn't rank up with the best of previous seasons.

Now next week's Holier Than Thou has a chance. The one on College is apparently going to concentrate on how many of them push leftist propaganda so that might be interesting. I'm especially looking forward to the one on Endangered Species (which is in the opening credits). I don't know when that one is coming but I expect it to be in the tradition of Environmental Hysteria and Recycling.

Last edited by movielib; 05-21-05 at 11:49 PM.