Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Jeff Probst of Survivor a good host? (Haters welcome here too)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Is Jeff Probst of Survivor a good host? (Haters welcome here too)
Yes! great host, I would like him to continue with Survivor
83.15%
Ehhh, he is an ok host, I would like to see somebody else host
4.49%
This guy sucks, why is he even on TV
5.62%
I think Twikoff should host
6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Is Jeff Probst of Survivor a good host? (Haters welcome here too)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff is a large part of what makes the show special. He's great. Last night, when Tom and Ian made jokes about pizza and french fries during the challenge, the dead serious look on Jeff's face spoke volumes. The jokes were intended to show how they weren't considering a deal at that point, but in the temple of Survivor gameplay, Jeff wasn't laughing. Great moment.

Also, I love how he has NO love for people who quit... even when their ankle is broken.
Old 05-16-05, 05:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
He was better on Rock & Roll Jeopardy!
What, no love for Backchat on FX? I'd watch that right before old Greatest American Hero reruns!
Old 05-17-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Jeff is a large part of what makes the show special. He's great. Last night, when Tom and Ian made jokes about pizza and french fries during the challenge, the dead serious look on Jeff's face spoke volumes. The jokes were intended to show how they weren't considering a deal at that point, but in the temple of Survivor gameplay, Jeff wasn't laughing. Great moment.

Also, I love how he has NO love for people who quit... even when their ankle is broken.
Unless your a frail woman. Then it's ok to quit if you want.
Old 05-17-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
Edit to add: the fact that he divorced his wife immediately after he became famous and is now dating a former contestant from the show tells me how swarmy he is.
Maybe his wife became an uppity-bitch when he became famous and he simply couldn't take her shit anymore.
Old 05-17-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Unless your a frail woman. Then it's ok to quit if you want.
He did give her a free ride. But I think he liked the way she was trying to throw a monkey wrench in the alliance's plan.
Old 05-17-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
jeff probst? anderson cooper? balderdash.

the best reality show host ever is none other than Johnny Mosely.

seriously.
Old 05-17-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts
How can you compare Jeff to Amazing race's Phil?

Phil announces the roadblocks to the camera and tells people what place they came in.

jeff actually has to engage the contestants at the tribal council and dig deeop to get them to talk. These councils go for an hour+ and Jeff has to keep it flowing and get to the issues of the tribe.

That deserves a lot more credit than reading the "A detour is a choice between two tasks" cue cards.
Old 05-17-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
How can you compare Jeff to Amazing race's Phil?

Phil announces the roadblocks to the camera and tells people what place they came in.

jeff actually has to engage the contestants at the tribal council and dig deeop to get them to talk. These councils go for an hour+ and Jeff has to keep it flowing and get to the issues of the tribe.

That deserves a lot more credit than reading the "A detour is a choice between two tasks" cue cards.
WELL SAID!

I love Phil's understated style, and am a big fan. Johnny Mosely is good in the same way. They have a quirky quality that is endearing, and fun to watch. They are a bit of an everyman, but somehow landed this cool gig.

But Probst is head and shoulders above them as far as being a true host, and driving the game forward. I too get a little tired of the overly done challenge play-by-play, but I'd bet that's not entirely by his choice. And his interview skills are way ahead of the pack, especially the last few seasons. Maybe it comes from an inflating ego, but it works.
Old 05-17-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
ok, maybe mosely comes in second to probst. a CLOSE second.

oh, and dave mirra sucks.
Old 05-17-05, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While Phil does very little on the show itself, his "Video Diaries" on the website are pretty damn cool.
Old 05-17-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
While Phil does very little on the show itself, his "Video Diaries" on the website are pretty damn cool.
I may have to check those out. Are they behind the scenes (what you didn't see stuff), or just extended interviews?
Old 05-17-05, 11:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They have those as well, but the video diaries are Phil's thoughts on each episode. He's not shy about giving his opinions on the various racers.
Old 05-17-05, 11:33 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He is still dating Julie I assume? if so, he's the man!
Old 05-17-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They have those as well, but the video diaries are Phil's thoughts on each episode. He's not shy about giving his opinions on the various racers.
That would be worth checking out, as his opinion is likely unvarnished by editing.
Old 05-17-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yeah but it is Julie.

I couldn't give a rat's ass about his personal life. Has nothing to do with hosting the show.
So dating a former contestant from the show has nothing to do with hosting the show? Did he show favoritism towards her or other hot women on the show by asking questions or not probing as hard or framing alliances as he would with Immunity Willard during tribal council? If all he did was "host," then I wouldn't have such a problem.
But one of the strong "pluses" raised by people in this thread is the fact that he is willing to interject and "cut through" all the BS. What if there was a ulterior motive for him doing that (namely, I can get into her pants latter) besides good television? Regardless of that, he is a smug asshat IMO.

Last edited by chowderhead; 05-17-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
So dating a former contestant from the show has nothing to do with hosting the show? Did he show favoritism towards her or other hot women on the show by asking questions or not probing as hard or framing alliances as he would with Immunity Willard during tribal council? If all he did was "host," then I wouldn't have such a problem.
But one of the strong "pluses" raised by people in this thread is the fact that he is willing to interject and "cut through" all the BS. What if there was a ulterior motive for him doing that (namely, I can get into her pants latter) besides good television? Regardless of that, he is a smug asshat IMO.

There is no indication of favoritism with Julie and if there was, it sure didn't help.
Old 05-17-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like his rant at the reunion show about the Janu deal. How can he say he didn't help convince her to do that. If he acts like he did when Osten quit then she would have never of done it. He made it "OK" for her to do it because it changed the game in a good way. I really think he has too much control of the game. I have no idea why Ulong didn't refuse to answer any of his questions when Koror got to sit in during their tribal council.

Last edited by BDLOU; 05-17-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BDLOU
I like his rant at the reunion show about the Janu deal. How can he say he didn't help convince her to do that. If he acts like he did when Osten quit then she would have never of done it. He made it "OK" for her to do it because it changed the game in a good way. I really think he has too much control of the game. I have no idea why Ulong didn't refuse to answer any of his questions when Koror got to sit in during their tribal council.
I wondered that then as well. It seems like the obvious thing to do--just sit stony faced and offer up nothing. Then again, the type of personality that applies for this sort of thing loves being the center of attention, so maybe they couldn't help themselves. Or maybe they were actually looking forward to when there might be a merge and trying to position themsleves with the other tribemembers listening in...Naww, that's giving wayyy too much credit.
Old 05-17-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

Jeff does a great job. Can't complain about any aspect of his role.
Old 05-17-05, 08:08 PM

jeff is great, he seems a lot better than phil
Old 05-17-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timber
I think he's gotten alot more arrogent and much shorter with the people on the show and I think that has made him a better host.

Back when The Mole was on I though Cooper would have been the perfect host for Survivor but now I think Probst is the best person to have out there doing it.
I agree with all of this.

Does anybody remember when skinny Rob was on All Stars and they showed the outtake of the fake tribal counsel? I thought his impersonation of the arrogance mixed with wit of Probst was spot on.
Old 05-17-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by William Fuld
He was better on Rock & Roll Jeopardy!