DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Network Upfront Week (2005-06 network schedule announcements), May 16-19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/422508-network-upfront-week-2005-06-network-schedule-announcements-may-16-19-a.html)

Detective Thorn 05-16-05 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
I thought there was a rumor out there Monday Night Football was moving to ESPN?

It is not a rumor, it is a fact. The information I found seems to indicate that it will not happen until the 2006 football season.

movieking 05-16-05 07:09 AM

Really there is no surprises in the list. Granted, I am pissed to see Eyes and Jack & Bobby go, their cancellation was a foregone conclusion.

Groucho 05-16-05 07:31 AM

Who put together that list, E.E. Cummings?

Red Dog 05-16-05 08:47 AM

NBC PRIMETIME SCHEDULE FOR 2005-06

*New programs in CAPS (with the exception of "ER")

MONDAY
8-9 p.m. "FATHOM"
9-10 p.m. "Las Vegas"
10-11 p.m. "Medium"

TUESDAY
8-9 p.m. "The Biggest Loser"
9-9:30 p.m. "MY NAME IS EARL"
9:30-10 p.m. "The Office"
10-11 p.m. "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

WEDNESDAY
8-9 p.m. "THE APPRENTICE: MARTHA STEWART"
9-10 p.m. "E-RING"
10-11 p.m. "Law & Order"

THURSDAY
8-8:30 p.m. "Joey"
8:30-9 p.m. "Will & Grace"
9-10 p.m. "The Apprentice"
10-11 p.m. "ER"

FRIDAY
8-9 p.m. "THREE WISHES"
9-10 p.m. "Dateline NBC" (new time period)
10-11 p.m. "INCONCEIVABLE"

SATURDAY
8-11 p.m. "NBC SATURDAY NIGHT MOVIE"

SUNDAY
7-8 p.m. "Dateline NBC"
8-9 p.m. "The West Wing" (new day and time)
9-10 p.m. "Law & Order: Criminal Intent"
10-11 p.m. "Crossing Jordan"

Red Dog 05-16-05 08:49 AM

NBC new show descriptions and other info

Geofferson 05-16-05 08:52 AM

Fathom and E-Ring sound promising.

Red Dog 05-16-05 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Fathom and E-Ring sound promising.

E-Ring does.

Fathom sounds ridiculous if you ask me - NBC's attempt to go after the Lost crowd.

Chew 05-16-05 09:04 AM

West Wing to Sundays? Interesting.

Detective Thorn 05-16-05 09:11 AM

How the hell can they have a show called Inconceivable and not have Wallace Shawn on it?

That seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Groucho 05-16-05 09:29 AM

Hard to cast a dead guy.

Mhepburn20 05-16-05 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hard to cast a dead guy.

Indeed it is, fortunately for Mr. Shawn he's very much still alive.

mverleg1 05-16-05 09:35 AM

Where Is Scrubs?!?!?!

pezboy 05-16-05 09:37 AM

So what's the deal with "The Apprentice?" I thought the Martha Stewart version was going to replace The Donald on Thursdays. But Martha is scheduled for Wednesdays. Are we to assume The Donald is back for round 4 on Thursdays again?

Also, interesting move for West Wing. Sunday is the biggest night for TV. And since it's going to be a transition season, I'm wondering if NBC is grooming it for a longer stay.

wildcatlh 05-16-05 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mverleg1
Where Is Scrubs?!?!?!

From the above article (and I don't like the way this sounds)

Fan favorites "Scrubs" and "Fear Factor" will also return to the NBC schedule at some point next season

Red Dog 05-16-05 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by pezboy

Also, interesting move for West Wing. Sunday is the biggest night for TV. And since it's going to be a transition season, I'm wondering if NBC is grooming it for a longer stay.

I'd say just the opposite. I think they see E-Ring as the next West Wing and are thus putting it in the same timeslot. E-Ring is probably a better fit with Law & Order too.

Gizmo 05-16-05 10:15 AM

Wow...this year nothing I actually cared about got canceled. Awesome! Well...I do only watch like 6 shows...

raven56706 05-16-05 10:17 AM

NEW YORK (Zap2it.com) If desperate times call for desperate measures, NBC probably isn't desperate just yet. But the network isn't exactly comfortable either.
Hoping to shake off a slump that has seen the network drop to fourth place in the Nielsen rankings this season, NBC announced a 2005-06 schedule Monday (May 16) that includes six new shows and at least one schedule change on six of seven nights.

"We're very excited and encouraged by the lineup we're presenting today," NBC president Jeff Zucker says. "I'm confident that we have addressed our schedule needs and will continue to excel in drawing the advertiser-friendly, upscale viewers who have come to appreciate NBC's quality brand of programming."

The six new shows include one comedy, "My Name Is Earl"; two unscripted series, "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart" and "Three Wishes"; and three dramas, "Fathom," "E-Ring" and "Inconceivable." Notable among returning shows is "The Office," the critically hailed but ratings-challenged comedy that will get a second shot to find an audience, and "The West Wing," which moves to Sunday nights from its long-time Wednesday home.
The goal for 2005-06, according to NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly, is to "create real excitement, especially at 8 p.m., which will pay dividends throughout each night." Accordingly, a number of the changes NBC has made come in the early hours of primetime.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is what's not on the schedule: Veteran series "Scrubs" and "Fear Factor" won't debut in the fall, instead being held for "some point" later in the season. Additionally, as was speculated last week, "Law & Order: Trial by Jury" didn't survive for a second year, becoming the first "Law & Order" show not to have a multi-year run.

"Fathom," a sci fi-tinged drama about the discovery of a strange new life form under the sea, will fill the "Fear Factor" spot at 8 p.m. ET Mondays. "My Name Is Earl," a single-camera comedy about a petty crook (Jason Lee) who decides to right past wrongs after winning the lottery, moves into the "Scrubs" spot at 9 p.m. Tuesdays, sandwiched between "The Biggest Loser" and "The Office."

Wednesday undergoes a sizable makeover, with the Stewart version of "The Apprentice" taking the 8 p.m. spot and "E-Ring," a Pentagon-set drama that stars "Law & Order" alum Benjamin Bratt and Dennis Hopper, moving into "The West Wing's" old nine o'clock home. "Law & Order" remains at 10.

The Thursday lineup of "Joey," "Will & Grace," the Donald Trump "Apprentice" and "ER" remains intact. Fridays see more change, with the unscripted "Three Wishes," which aims to help people realize long-held dreams, at eight, "Dateline" moving back to nine and "Inconceivable," a drama about the staff of a fertility clinic, finishes the night at 10.

Saturday will revert back to a movie night instead of the "Law & Order" theater featured much of this season. The big Sunday change is "The West Wing," which goes to the tough 8 p.m. slot formerly occupied by the cancelled "American Dreams."

NBC has also ordered two new comedies for midseason -- "Four Kings," about four childhood friends who share a New York apartment, and "Thick and Thin," which stars Jessica Capshaw ("The Practice") as a woman adjusting to her new body after a dramatic weight loss.

B.A. 05-16-05 10:18 AM

E-Ring is the only thing that I will definitely catch.

But what the flippity-fuck are they holding Scrubs for!?! I don't care if My Name Is Earl is a Jason Lee vehicle. His recent spat of films have sucked, so I am not holding out much hope for a television show w/ him as the star. Quit screwing w/ Scrubs, NBC! Morans.

:up: on giving The Office another shot.

Red Dog 05-16-05 10:23 AM

I can't imagine that Inconceivable show bettering what L&O:TBJ did in that slot. Something tells me we will be seeing L&O (take your pick of which) reruns in that slot by October.

B.A. 05-16-05 10:28 AM

Another thing I noticed - next season will be Jack & Karen's last. First time I heard that. :beer:

One good thing My Name Is Earl has going for it - Jamie Pressly.

pezboy 05-16-05 10:30 AM

Answers my "Apprentice" questions. Thanks.

/passing on both

Michael Corvin 05-16-05 10:34 AM

Hopefully "earl" will be good, making for a solid hour with "the Office."

Scrubs? WTF? My guess is that they will give these new shows a shot and once the first one gets yanked, they will put scrubs on.

LorenzoL 05-16-05 10:48 AM

I'm also hoping that "My Name Is Earl" is good.

The rest of the new NBC shows don't interest me that much. So Amy Grant has been reduced to being a reality show host.

BTW, did anybody else catch the promo for "The Inside" from Fox yesterday? They were running it during the Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad block. It looks promising but then again is from Fox.

Which Button? 05-16-05 10:53 AM

I'm really glad the Office stuck around :) It's too bad that Committed didn't get a second chance it was pretty funny but if I had to choose between The Office & Commiteed I would have chose The Office. I hope that NBC/Universal at least puts out Committed & Hawaii on DVD.

Bronkster 05-16-05 10:55 AM

Dayam!! I didn't know Scrubs was in a position to not be in the new schedule! Somebody start a petition or something!! That sucks!