Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Veronica Mars *Season Finale* 5/10

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
without giving anything of season 2 away. the "anwser's" to the season 1 finale are fully anwsered in season 2.
Except
Spoiler:
what the frilly heck happened to the charges against the Kanes for obstruction of justice w/r/t hiring a patsy to make a fake confession?
Old 10-23-06, 01:31 PM
DB

I've just watched the first season on DVD. FABULOUS show. I was left with 2 questions that I didn't see discussed in this thread. I hope some kind soul will help me with these questions that are bugging me:

Can someone explain why Duncan's mother blackmailed V's mother to leave town in the first place? Was it simply because they were afraid she would reveal she slept with Duncan's Dad? It seems like I'm missing something. (And why wasn't Ducan's Mom angry at Ducan's Dad for the infidelity??)

Also, in one of the last few episodes, there was a short outdoor scene showing two of the 09er boys who were at the party where Veronica got drugged. I'm almost sure it was right after the news article came out with the proof that Abel wasn't the killer. The two boys say something like Remember, we promised to take this secret to our graves. Implying that they were involved with Lilly's death. Anyone else remember this? In light of how the season resolved itself, I don't understand what the boys were referring to.

Thanks!!
Old 10-23-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also not entirely sure on the answer to the first question, the answer to your second question is
Spoiler:
The secret was that Logan had come back from Mexico on the day of Lilly's death. They were Logan's alibi that he was out of the country at the time.
Old 10-23-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
About your first question, I think the blackmailing was because Celeste thought that Jake was Veronica's real dad. She probably was semi-OK with it until she realized that the affair was ongoing. I'm sure Celeste wasn't happy about the affair, but she seems like the type who more values her money and social standing.

It's been a while since I watched the first season, so maybe someone will having something else to say about it.
Old 10-23-06, 05:36 PM
DB

Thanks for the quick replies! I in particular missed that bit about Logan's friends, but it makes complete sense. Thanks.
Old 04-01-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Veronica Mars *Season Finale* 5/10

Crazy 8 year bump! Sorry I'm 10 years late to this party.

The release of the movie intrigued me to finally watch the entire first season. I watched a few episodes some odd years back, but think it was in grad school so I didn't have time to committ. That said, my general impressions on S1 and how everything wrapped up.

This show did a great job of building everything around the mystery and the character of Veronica. It's not the best first series of a show I've watched, but it plays to its strengths and pulls you back in for more. I think it is a great example, maybe the best, of how to have an episodic series with an overarching theme. The weekly cases never felt particularly burdensome, even though I found myself wanting to know more about the overarching mystery every episode.

The strongest character points for me were Veronica, her dad,, and then I'd say all of the remaining characters. I especially thought there was a great use of students at school that you see job a continuing basis. The student body and past cases were tied together very nicely in the penultimate episode, as Veronica essentially acted as her own case. Of the recurring "main" characters I'd summerize as:

- Wallace and Duncan: pretty good defined characters, but I think they were both very under utilized. I figured they'd both play more prominently into discussions with Veronica. I was happy to see V confide in Wallace so much at the end.

- Wevil: also very under utilized, but a little bit less so. I think they set up his character in some interesting ways, bit didn't fully explore or develop them.

- Lilly: Perhaps because I watched in such a short window, but she played a very prominent role throughout the season. The balance was good too, to the point that she was rather developed despite her limited scope in the past.

- Logan: seems to be a lot of love for him. Despite his background and how the year turned up, I never bought his journey towards the end. He always had a facade and didn't make up for his actions. Obviously I don't know how his lookout fully resolved yet, but still didn't buy his feelings or relationships that developed.

As for the murder - handled so well. Ultimate culprit was nowhere on my radar at all. I would have put my money on
Spoiler:
one of Lilly's parents, more so the mom
. I wish other shows would use this series as a lesson, so I don't know who it is as soon as the individual steps on screen.

I had some similar lingering questions as DB:

Why did Duncan's mom tell him about the paternity situation? To keep him away so no more questions would follow? Leads to...

Why did the Kane' s tell Duncan he killed her? I get they thought he did, but talk about assumptions. So they paid off Able to take the fall so Logan wouldn't be found out; yet they didn't even bother to try and find out what happened. Talk about odd.

On to season 2!

Last edited by Superman07; 04-01-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 07:21 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Crazy 8 year bump! Sorry I'm 10 years late to this party.

The release of the movie intrigued me to finally watch the entire first season. I watched a few episodes some odd years back, but think it was in grad school so I didn't have time to committ. That said, my general impressions on S1 and how everything wrapped up.

This show did a great job of building everything around the mystery and the character of Veronica. It's not the best first series of a show I've watched, but it plays to its strengths and pulls you back in for more. I think it is a great example, maybe the best, of how to have an episodic series with an overarching theme. The weekly cases never felt particularly burdensome, even though I found myself wanting to know more about the overarching mystery every episode.

The strongest character points for me were Veronica, her dad,, and then I'd say all of the remaining characters. I especially thought there was a great use of students at school that you see job a continuing basis. The student body and past cases were tied together very nicely in the penultimate episode, as Veronica essentially acted as her own case. Of the recurring "main" characters I'd summerize as:

- Wallace and Duncan: pretty good defined characters, but I think they were both very under utilized. I figured they'd both play more prominently into discussions with Veronica. I was happy to see V confide in Wallace so much at the end.

- Wevil: also very under utilized, but a little bit less so. I think they set up his character in some interesting ways, bit didn't fully explore or develop them.

- Lilly: Perhaps because I watched in such a short window, but she played a very prominent role throughout the season. The balance was good too, to the point that she was rather developed despite her limited scope in the past.

- Logan: seems to be a lot of love for him. Despite his background and how the year turned up, I never bought his journey towards the end. He always had a facade and didn't make up for his actions. Obviously I don't know how his lookout fully resolved yet, but still didn't buy his feelings or relationships that developed.

As for the murder - handled so well. Ultimate culprit was nowhere on my radar at all. I would have put my money on
Spoiler:
one of Lilly's parents, more so the mom
. I wish other shows would use this series as a lesson, so I don't know who it is as soon as the individual steps on screen.

I had some similar lingering questions as DB:

Why did Logan's mom tell him about the paternity situation? To keep him away so no more questions would follow? Leads to...

Why did the Kane' s tell Logan he killed her? I get they thought he did, but talk about assumptions. So they paid off Able to take the fall so Logan wouldn't be found out; yet they didn't even bother to try and find out what happened. Talk about odd.

On to season 2!
I think you need to pay a little more attention... because you're referring to Duncan.
Old 04-01-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

You are correct. I mistyped Logan and meant Duncan!
Old 04-01-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Duncan was delirious and didn't remember what happened. They came home and found him looney tunes and covered in Lily's blood, what would you think? They assumed he killed her by accident in one of his fits, which the know he has, so they covered it up, so he wouldn't go to jail.

They also apparently have no security cameras in their backyard.