Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivale no more. :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 09:25 AM
sdk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnivale no more. :(

Carnivale has gotten the can from hbo, i guess hbo is just tv after all. No official statement yet.

" Sorry to be the bearer of really lousy news...

According to an Unimpeachable Source, "Carnivale" has been cancelled.

HBO has not made its "official" announcement yet, and it is unknown exactly WHEN they will -- quite possibly in the next week or so -- but they have definitely cancelled "Carnivale".

So, what does this mean for us?

Well, for one thing, we're planning on keeping this "Carnivale" fandom together! We're gonna make sure the "Carnivale" fandom continues to grow and to be the supportive fandom family it's become. There will continue to be "Carnivale" discussion groups, message boards, web sites and chat rooms. We encourage EVERYONE to take full advantage of all the wonderful "Carnivale" fan pages and groups that are out there. Start more groups of your own! Read, write, and share fanfic! That's the way to keep this story going for a long, long time... Continue to support the careers of all the talented and generous people involved with the show who have done so much for us! And keep in touch with all the fan friends you've made along the way.

Let's take what we've already made with this fandom and continue to build, in the same way that the "Star Trek" fans continued to build their groups. (And we all know what THEY managed to accomplish when THEIR show was cancelled prematurely by the Brainiacs who ran NBC!) Network executives come and go. They take their promotions (or their demotions), and they move on to the next high profile position. But fandoms... fandoms are meant to last, to OUTLAST revolving-door network execs. So, who knows what a different set of execs might think a few years down the road, when the last half dozen unoriginal "water cooler shows" they've floated have sunk, and they look back and see an active fandom still chugging along for the one amazing show they threw away?

As for HBO...

Would they feel it if all the members of this board CANCELLED THEIR SUBSCRIPTIONS on Monday?

Would they feel it if all the members of this board contacted their local cable or satellite provider and let THEM know how unhappy they are about this decision?

Would they notice bags and bags of protest letters being delivered to their desks?

Would they be interested in reading articles written by television critics who've heard from a number of disappointed readers?

And... do we still trust HBO to do the right thing and get that 2nd season DVD set out in a timely manner? Perhaps they should hear about how many of their subscribers want that DVD set... and how many want it NOW. Maybe they need to hear how many people out here are expecting to plunk down their hard-earned money for that Season Two DVD set -- and soon.

Yes, now's the time to get our frustrations out, to write our letters, cancel our subscriptions to HBO, and basically make ourselves heard. Now is the time to scream about the "Ass-faced Bastard People" who have been so shortsighted, so creatively, financially, and strategically un-savvy as to cancel the one show they possess that is truly building a cult audience. Now is the time to shake our heads at the stupidity of HBO basically abandoning THE hottest topic on television right now -- namely good vs. evil, End of Days drama -- to the no-pay NETWORKS like NBC! (I mean, how DUMB is that?!?)

But tomorrow...

Tomorrow, we roll up our sleeves and get to work keeping this fandom together and making it into something that's built to LAST!

We're open to hearing creative ideas as to how to help "Carnivale" and the wonderful people involved with it.

All our sympathies to the wonderful talented people of "Carnivale". Just know that we're all still here! We're with ya, and we'll follow your careers, wherever you go.

And as for "Carnivale"? As long as we have a fandom, THIS SHOW WILL GO ON!

-- Beth "

Last edited by sdk; 05-07-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If true, this is pretty disappointing news. However, I really wonder what sense it makes for HBO to cancel it, with both SFU and The Sopranos ending this next year they might have a bit of a void in the scripted hourlong area. True, they still have Deadwood and The Wire, and Rome coming up, but still, Carnivale was just SO good last season.
Old 05-07-05, 09:48 AM
sdk

Clancy brown is their impecable source. SO i guees it is true. And it would look like hbo does noe care about it's viewers after all. If i lived in the usa i would have canceled my hbo over this.
Old 05-07-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 235 Posts

Carnivale was my favorite HBO series.
Old 05-07-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am actually considering cancelling my HBO service if this is true. Not out of protest, but out of the mere fact that I am having a hard time justifying keeping it. I mean, the only thing holding me back is the final seasons of 6 Feet Under and The Sopranos (I have never really got in to Deadwood, so that is not a factor). But aren't those shows not scheduled for a long time? Which means I could always re-up at that time to see those last seasons.

The reality of it is that other networks have far better movies than HBO does, it is their original shows that set them apart. However, I am not sure if I want to get invested in newer shows that might come out now that I can't trust them to keep them around. Without that, I see no reason to keep forking them over my money.
Old 05-07-05, 12:04 PM

So many questions left unanswered. Maybe Knauf could scribe the rest of the story into a book or some other format?
Old 05-07-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I just couldn't get into the show this year, and that must be pretty common since it is getting cancelled.
Old 05-07-05, 12:37 PM
sdk

Actually the show had more viewers this year than the last.
Old 05-07-05, 12:55 PM

source or link?
Old 05-07-05, 01:06 PM
sdk

To the show beeing canceled or more viewers if it is the last i don't have one, been a long time since i read it. Don't have a link for the first one yet as there is not official word from hbo, but clancy brown (brother justin) said on the carnycon chat that he and the other actors had gotten a letter where it said that hbo was not gooing to renew carnivale for a third season. And belive me i wish it was not true. Or you could go to the hbo forums or imdb, people are not pleased. Sadly it would look like hbo is turning into fox.

Someone over at the hbo forums has this idea of sending these letters to hbo.

http://marion.smugmug.com/gallery/520904/1/21454391

Last edited by sdk; 05-07-05 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering HBO's track record, one decision I disagree with is not enough to send me into a hateful rage, but if true, this is unbelievably disappointing. This was among the top two or three shows during all of last season, and the story demands more seasons.

das
Old 05-07-05, 01:29 PM
sdk

You are a bigger man than me.
Old 05-07-05, 01:57 PM

When this series was aired in the UK I only ever saw the first two episodes, but I enjoyed them a lot and I've been considering getting it on DVD. Assuming no more ever gets made after the second season, would it be worth it? Am I better off not getting into it at all because I'll just be frustrated at the lack of a proper ending? I don't want any spoilers, but some help making my decision would be much appreciated!
Old 05-07-05, 02:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

That sucks
Old 05-07-05, 02:12 PM
sdk

Originally Posted by Philip Reuben
When this series was aired in the UK I only ever saw the first two episodes, but I enjoyed them a lot and I've been considering getting it on DVD. Assuming no more ever gets made after the second season, would it be worth it? Am I better off not getting into it at all because I'll just be frustrated at the lack of a proper ending? I don't want any spoilers, but some help making my decision would be much appreciated!
I sort of wish i did not get into it, but the more people who buy it on dvd the stronger the chances are we will get a third season. And the two seasons that have been are amasing. But you will be frustrated.

Last edited by sdk; 05-07-05 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Argh!
Old 05-07-05, 04:00 PM

I sad
Old 05-07-05, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip Reuben
I would say there is enough story there to make it worth watching. To be sure, you'll be left with unanswered questions, but many of your questions will be answered, and you will see a begining, a middle, and an end.
Old 05-07-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first thought in response to the question, is it worth watching the DVD, knowing that the there is probably not going to be any closure, was no.

But in thinking some more about it, I think there is enough there, that it is worth it. A great story. Great characters. Cinematography. Writing. This is...or was... stunning TV. The idea it will not be finished is very sad. I really hope that could be reconsidered.
Old 05-07-05, 05:00 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
I was a fan when it was on, but frankly, I aint interested in keeping a fandom going..not enough questions answered for my tastes. Not buying the dvd sets either...call me a guy who needs a bow wrapped on his closures...but 2 seasons aint worth my time.
Old 05-07-05, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by AeroStone
I was a fan when it was on, but frankly, I aint interested in keeping a fandom going..not enough questions answered for my tastes. Not buying the dvd sets either...call me a guy who needs a bow wrapped on his closures...but 2 seasons aint worth my time.

Ditto! If they cant give me an ending they arent getting my money.
Old 05-07-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I apologize to all Carnivale fans. I just watched the first season on DVD recently and loved the show, so naturally they are cancelling it. I'll try to keep my viewing habits a bit more restrained fomr now on .
Old 05-07-05, 06:06 PM
sdk

I will not watch any new shows from hbo untill i know that they are gooing to run their whole run.
Old 05-07-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
This is old news, that dude is already at showtime making another series. I didnt read your post but I heard about this month ago or more. Yeah it sucks.
Old 05-07-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts
HBO can fuck off and die.

My subscription will be cancelled when the news is officially announced. Frankly, it is partly out of spite, but also because there's very little reason to even keep HBO around. I have better things I can spend that $150 a year on.

HBO programming isn't paid for by advertisers, it's paid for by me. And that ends when they stop producing programs I want to see.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.